What's new

Yesterday/Today

NaturalJWL

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2007
Messages
577
Reaction score
46
Golden Thread
0
Location
NC
Yesterday I went through 210 in halfs for 2-40%.

Today I went through 500 box and did a bit better, 4-90% (64s) 3-40%.

Box did better than my normal hand rolls but sure could use a better way of opening rolls.

Any suggestions >?
 
Upvote 0
I use a salad fork...silver of course...poke it thru the end at an angle and rip of the end and push them out. Of course if you are trying to save the roll this method won't work.
 
I do not have a method

DW
 
I use my finger nails and really need a different method. Darn things hurt for days after pealing through 150 rolls a night.
 
I use a steak knife and push the tip under the rolled over edge from the center of the open ends while gripping the roll in my left hand with about 1" of the end of the roll sticking out as to not cut myself.
Once I push the knife under the rolled edge I push the knife blade about halfway through, using a little leverage I twist and rip that rolled over edge right off and than just push the coins through the end gripping the roll with my left hand and using my right thumb to push them through. Be sure to press your thumb off center once the coins tilt they should just slide right out.
It takes just a couple of rolls to master this technique. I can edge search a box in less than 15 minuets using this method.
I rip all the ends off first while i have the knife in my hand picking them up with my left hand 1 by 1. Once all the ends are popped I set the knife down and begin the 2nd process Pushing the coins through the ends.
the steak knife should look like a Sishkabob with 50 paper rings on it. you only need to rip half the ring off to push them through because sometimes the entire ring wont rip free.

Mojo
 
I use my computer desk side edge and smack the roll to crack it open, or a bottom of a deodorant spray to crack it open. I don't think I damage any coins...
 
Thanks for the replys and info. Boxes may be safe from me hunting them. Kinda sorta crushed my left wrist at work a couple years ago and it still gives me problems after 4 ops. Oh well, life goes on.
Thanks again.
 
I use my computer desk side edge and smack the roll to crack it open, or a bottom of a deodorant spray to crack it open. I don't think I damage any coins...
me either....i throw mine across the room so that when they hit the wall they fly all over the room. then i use the vacuum cleaner to pick them up ;D
 
If you are saving the rolls, then use a paper clip. While rotating the roll with the paper clip under the lip of the roll, the crimp will come undone. Push the coins out and listen for the silver. If you are hunting with a partner, you can challenge them to find the silver. Dump a bunch of rolls and hopefully some with silver and see who fetches the silver faster out of the heap. Makes it a little bit more rewarding and interactive. To re-roll the coins, pinch the roll and slide the coins in at a 45 degree angle.
 
I use the end of a letter opener to pry the lip of the roll loose. I rotate the roll until it's loose for a an inch or so. I can reuse the roll easily then. It takes me an hour to do a box. I reuse the rolls and I look at every coin, not just the edges.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom