SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday's colonial hunt with Dan and his dad

It was a pleasure to get out again with Dan, who was accompanied by his father who was visiting for the holidays. After finding wheat planted at our first option, we made contact with a landowner who Dan and I talked with a few weeks ago, and who owns property along a river that's dotted with early 1700s land patent sites. We got the green light and headed out to check the most promising one which included several possible early homesites. But it was a major disappointment and we ended up striking out as all we could muster were a couple of mid-1800s to turn-of-the-century sites. We ended up going back to the area we've hunted heavily this fall, and got into a small pasture area adjacent to a cultivated field that produced quite a few 18th century relics and coins last winter. Not expecting much, we were surprised when buttons started popping out, although the signals were funky for the most part, and generally deep. Dan killed us on buttons (again) thanks to his little hotspot, but at least I didn't get skunked. Other than a few buttons (2 of which I thought for sure were coins), I was able to snag a huge and intact frame from a late 1700s shoe buckle along with another decorative piece from a Georgian era buckle. And another thimble made its way into my goodie pouch once again, but this one was a little unique with its tall, narrow shape. I didn't even realize what I had until it was cleaned up. We hunted until dusk which ended a fun day of hunting with my buddies. Our next assignment is to find some new and productive sites, and hopefully we can make that happen very early in 2015.

Attachments

• 122614a.jpg
    122614a.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 122614b.jpg
    122614b.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 122614c.jpg
    122614c.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 102
  • 122614d.jpg
    122614d.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 85
Upvote 7

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pretty nice, like the thimble, heck like it all

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Bill, that's an interesting thimble. That's also a nice button. It looks like that site still has some good relics. I got onto a new permission Friday & turned out to be a late 1800s/early 1900s site. I found a few cool things but I guess I'm getting spoiled with the older sites. It's much more interesting to me if it's Civil War or earlier. The colonial sites are my favorite but they are not as plentiful as where you are in Va. I'm going to be planning another Bobcat hunt soon, so looking forward to that!

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the one piece there Bill got one just like it...(similar)

Attachments

• DSCN0169.JPG
    DSCN0169.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread