What's new

Yosemite Vacation

bobinsd

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2005
Messages
492
Reaction score
256
Golden Thread
0
Location
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to Tenaya Lodge in Yosemite in Jan. for a few days. Can anyone recommend any out-of-the-way spots of interest
within 1-2 hours drive that are not well known tourist havens? Antique shops, ghost towns, old general stores, good food, etc.
Thanks in advance, Bob (in San Diego)
 
If the weather allows it, you can hike around Cooks Meadow or Tenaya Lake. Columbia State Historic park and Bodie are the most famous ghost towns but they might be overcrowded with tourists. You can try visiting Hornitos, a small ghost town with the ruins of oiginal Ghiradelli Chocolate Store and a few other interesting buildings
 
My friend was a park Ranger there I asked him why did you leave. I would love to go there and stay lol
 
Thanks. Do you know if I can MD in Hornitos? Also, I've been trying to find a map of the stage coach routes between Merced and Mariposa without any luck. Anybody? Can't find Northrup Creek either...probably renamed.
 
It's all private down by Hornitos I live local and the only spot I could find to detect there was a playground.LOL
 
I would say most of the passes will be closed in the winter. The road to Bodie slim chance that will be open.
 
The best spot I found there was on top of half dome and camping there overnight
Not sure they allow that nowadays
 
I wanted to MD the creekbed where the stage crashed and the driver drowned. Northrup Creek, 4mi. from Hornitos. I assume the current road follows the original stage route.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom