What's new

You can metal detect all you want, but NO DIGGING! FML

Thanks Tom. Just to clarify a little more, I know i don't have to call anyone to "know the law". I wasn't having any luck finding info on the subject so i did call. Another thing is i didn't call and ask anyone for permission to metal detect, but rather asked if there were any specific laws or regulations pertaining to metal detecting. I was told no, but there were regulations against digging, i then asked for a reference and surprise surprise, this person couldn't give me one. Im not sure if there is a law against digging on county property, sure there probably is though, i am still looking but have been deterred from calling and asking. But i will if i have to, i would rather get a "no" than a ticket.

Yes, it's an understandable series of actions. You look it up (on account of someone hassling you), and don't find anything about "metal detecting". So you asked CAREFULLY WORDED/PHRASED question of "is there anything that prohibits metal detecting?" or "are there any laws regarding metal detectors?" This, as you deduced, is much different than asking "Can I have permission to metal detect?" The thinking being, that by phrasing it the way you did, is to put the burden on THEM to CITE such a law, if one existed (which rarely are there laws *that* specific). But as you have found out, often time it merely back-fires, and you get someone to morph something ELSE to apply to your "pressing question". Usually the dreaded "alterations" or "defacement" clauses, EVEN though the questioner never mentioned "dig" or "alter", etc... So again, this is a reason to look it up for oneself.

If you couldn't find any mention of metal detectors (and assuming you were looking at a list of the city's rules, codes, rules, etc...), then wasn't that your answer? I mean, if it is silent on the subject, then to me, that would mean I've found-my-answer that it's not prohibited. I suppose you could fear that the list you're looking at isn't complete enough (for example, if all you found was the wooden sign at the park entrance, yet you feared there might be something on the books at city hall, in deeper minutia). But again: STILL no need to go asking live persons (lest you get their 'personal whim' as you did). If you HAD to ask that live person, because you felt you didn't find a complete enough listing of the laws in that town, then you can STILL ask them, but using the alternate wording: "Where can I find the listing of all the codes, laws, permits available, etc... for our town?" And then if you want, print that out, and carry it with you, showing there is nothing saying "no metal detecting"

And as far as "tickets", if you can find us an example of someone getting a "ticket" for metal detecting in an innocuous non-posted park, let us know. If you can find ANY such example of a "ticket" or "arrest" blah blah blah, it will invariably always be someone who couldn't take a warning, or someone night sneaking obvious historic monuments, etc.. No, you don't get a "ticket" for hunting a park for which there is no prohibition.
 
Last edited:
Thanks again Tom, i will definitely ask where to find a complete set of the laws, as i was looking on line. I may have been looking at the complete set, pretty sure i was, but couldn't find anything. I even searched the document for key words and such.
 
I just thought of a second reason I like hunting dangerous urban parks. The first was always the lack of competition the new second one is that the cops have much more on their plate then bothering someone detecting in the park. I hear in detroit the police don't even respond to cars being broken into since they don't have the man power. It must be a detectorists Nirvana.

I'm kidding of course but I do have great success in the urban parks.

Happy hunting.

NJ
 
I just thought of a second reason I like hunting dangerous urban parks. The first was always the lack of competition the new second one is that the cops have much more on their plate then bothering someone detecting in the park. I hear in detroit the police don't even respond to cars being broken into since they don't have the man power. It must be a detectorists Nirvana.

I'm kidding of course but I do have great success in the urban parks.

Happy hunting.

NJ

Your right NJ-TH'er: cops in small upscale trendy towns will be more likely to look your way, wonder what you're doing, etc... But cops in big cities and in bad parts of town in big cities have FAR more important things to do :)

One time, my buddies and I had gone into a park scrape site in the bad part of San Francisco, in the middle of the night. Yeah yeah there was a fence around it, but afterall, that's what cat-keys are for :) During the night of digging silver and old coins, we heard a loud BANG BANG of gunfire. Within minutes, the surrounding streets were surrounded with cops. They were looking for the shooter of whatever crime it was that had just occured. As they fanned out looking in all the surrounding streets, one cops looks through the fence, and see a few of us detecting. DOH! He asked what the h*ll we were doing. When we told him 'metal detecting', he just shrugged his shoulders and said "I've got more important things to do!!". The shooting gave us all a scare, and needless to say, it left us trembling for an hour or so. But a year later, when we all reminisced about that night, it was a kinda funny, in retrospect :)
 
I don't have a gunfire story although I find bullets and casings all the time. Most of the people in the parks are supper nice even the junkies. I'm always by myself and I'm usually in a shirt and tie....they think I'm the crazy one there. One time I had a woman with no teeth telling me I should try this one park because the 'so and so' Boyz (don't remember the name) hide their drugs and money there. I thanked her for the lead but told her I would not want to find their cache since they might not be too happy about it. She says 'well why would they get mad at you you are just metal detecting and finding it by accident...it not like your stealing it'. Oh yeah...they are going to just let me walk out of the park with all their money. This is the only park in the area I no longer hunt. Not for this reason but I never felt confortable/safe there and too many bodies turn up for my taste. By the way, one body is too many.

NJ
 
Better call and make sure jeff lol
 
Better call and make sure jeff lol

Yes, and when you call "to make sure", be sure to mention buzz-words like: "dig", and "treasure", and "lawsuits" and "holes", etc.... Lest they not understand the full implication of your question. Now hurry and go do the right thing :)
 
yea there really doesn't seem to be any official rules
anywhere else there. I personally would just help myself
if nothing on the signs.

Being you already asked Parks and Recreation, as far as the parks
they control, you need to Weigh your chances
the person who told you no digging, Is Arse enough to call the cops if seen
&
whether or not your willing to risk a fine, if there is an official rule.

as far as the You can detect but not dig,
carry a Screw driver (to "retrieve" targets, not dig)
you can easily conceal it if necessary :thumbsup:
remember use the word "retrieve" if approched by an official.
Say you don't "Dig" (semantics)

again, I'm not telling you to break laws or rules,
just saying what you can consider
 
Last edited:
FMDAC CODE OF ETHICS
HTML:
I WILL always check federal, state, county and local laws before searching. It is my responsibility to “ know the law “
I WILL respect private property and will not enter private property without the owner’s permission. Where possible, such permission will be in writing.
I WILL take care to refill all holes and try not to leave any damage.
I WILL remove and dispose of any and all trash and litter that i find.
I WILL appreciate and protect our inheritance of natural resources, wildlife and private property.
I WILL as an ambassador for the hobby, use thoughtfulness, consideration and courtesy at all times.
I WILL work to help bring unity to our hobby by working with any organization of any geographic area that may have problems that will limit their ability to peacefully pursue the hobby.
I WILL leave gates as found.
I WILL build fires in designated or safe places only.
I WILL report to the proper authorities any individuals who enter and or remove artifacts from federal parks or state preserves.

I would hope that we all do this. I think you added a few lines, but most of it is common sense and respect. Don't watch any of those diggers shows or your going to be reporting some folks lol.
 
I would hope that we all do this. I think you added a few lines, but most of it is common sense and respect. Don't watch any of those diggers shows or your going to be reporting some folks lol.

Nope, didn't add anything, pulled straight from Treasurenets The Hunt Starts Here/ Beginners Guide.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom