What's new

You Gotta Try This Method of Tumbling Coins.

I put pennies in one can nickles in another can and so on .So when i clean them i dont have to worry about them change colors.but i tumble them first, this get most of the dirt off them, then the magic happen i put them in a vibratory tub .first pic 1hr 041.webp 2nd pic is about 2hrs042.webp3rd pic is about 4hrs043.webp this is what pennies look like after 1hr044.webpand after 4hrs they pretty much shine like new045.webp
 
The pennies came out very good, found two wheats in there after. Clad I think dawn,water and rocks just as good but takes a bit longer.All good ideas, thanks again.
 
I was looking for a cheap effective way to clean clad, I will try it! Thanks guys!
I use CLR on the zincs. A few minutes and they shine, but I'll try it on them too...as soon as I find another batch!
Best Christmas present!!!! :thumbup:
 
I almost forgot..... :icon_scratch: :laughing7: I got my bad clad out and attempted this......
I had to use vinegar though, (d/have lemon juice), swirl swirl in coffee can, with salt and pea gravel......
This is what I gots, before and afters :BangHead: C, I haz canz, tu..... :laughing7:

coin1.webp coin2.webp


I don't know what they maken this stuffs out of nowadays....... :BangHead: better spend it FAST! :laughing7:

coin3.webp coin4.webp

the stuff just comes apart in layers....... can't even get a crooked scrap man to take it...... :tard: :laughing7:
 
The only inherent problem to tumbling coins and using abrasives and solvents is that if you want to sell these to collectors, they will look for signs of cleaning. Missing patina where it ideally should be on silver? You just cost yourself some $$$. But, then again, this is only really a problem on silver.

---In this case I believe the subject is just about cleaning clad. However since you brought it up.
Collectors and dealers are weird about what they want. They say don't clean them, but won't hardly buy 'circulated' coins either. I personally do with them as I wish, considering a dug coin is rarely worth more than it's melt value.
--It's all about the individual buyer.
 
I have not done so, but always get the idea of using my crusty zinc rejects to 'seed' a few of the places where I've had bitter land owners slam the door in my face.
 
I almost forgot..... :icon_scratch: :laughing7: I got my bad clad out and attempted this......
I had to use vinegar though, (d/have lemon juice), swirl swirl in coffee can, with salt and pea gravel......
This is what I gots, before and afters :BangHead: C, I haz canz, tu..... :laughing7:

View attachment 1268908 View attachment 1268909


I don't know what they maken this stuffs out of nowadays....... :BangHead: better spend it FAST! :laughing7:

View attachment 1268913 View attachment 1268914

the stuff just comes apart in layers....... can't even get a crooked scrap man to take it...... :tard: :laughing7:

CLR. Will remove that crud.
 
I just received my Dual 3lb tumbler from Harbor Freight, followed T.C.'s instruction and have amazing results. What a great job on Quarters. The dimes and nickles are cleaner but I guess due to the metal type, not as shiny but much cleaner.
The pennies the same way but really clean. I have no fear no of taking them to my bank. Thanks for the tip.
Thanks Loco for posting your method also. Did the 45 minutes.
 
Thanks for the post.
I use Aquarian gravel, vinegar, Dish detergent, and water. I usually tumble for a few hours.
They go into a Coinstar machine and the receipt is deposited into my hobby account.
 
Worked great. I then set them on a 1/4 screen on a bucket and rinsed them with water, as I rinsed them they started turning yellow, when I took them off I found the screen had reacted with the ones on bottom and turned them black. :BangHead:

I'm bummed.
 
Ya I use a plastic drainer.
 
I use ceramic media and water, no soap. The soap causes my tumbler to get contaminated and leech black color from the rubber which turns everything gray. Only for crusted clad though!
 
Last edited:
I hate to throw a wrench in it. But this tumbler kicks but( but) with a 1 quart Gatorade bottle. Which is what I always used when cleaning coins anyway. I always have one that I cut a hole in the lid for rinsing sand, squeeze, rinse, repeat.

The bottle has to be very dry though.
 
Last edited:
So, it works well. But how do you make it stop once it has gotten to the desired effect? I have been trying a lot of things, I can't see leaving them with that much acidity on them?
 
Interesting.
I walk on my gravel and use Mr Clean for removing stubborn stains in the bathroom, but it is the latter ingredients that interest me. I usually pour lemon juice on my pancakes and sprinkle salt on my fish and chips. Will they clean my innards or should I be drinking Cola? Please advise.
 
No worries, your own internal anti acids should solve that, if not....Tim's. :D
 
Be wary of leaving zincs too long in anything acidic.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom