You guys are gonna have to stop calling me Custer....

lrgoodger

May 2, 2023
Cassopolis, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000-D, Garrett GTA-1000, Minelab Sovereign, XP Deus I, Equinox 800, XP Deus II
I've switched from finding IHPs to Large cents! This is the first time in my life I have found 3 in one day.

I want to thank the Kenneth G Rare Coins employee in Mishawaka Indiana for telling me he had been doing 'better in the fields'. After today, I may not go back to standing old house yards at all. I looked up an old house near me on the 1860s map that I knew the owner of the land, called him and got permission to hunt the field. I had tried field hunting a couple of times in the past and gotten a couple of Indian heads, but nothing like today! I got to the area and went into the field. I started seeing pieces of broken glass and pottery almost immediately. I had parked only 30 yards short of the house site. There were no iron signals to speak of until I got 30 yards from the car, then I hit them. The first diggable signal I got was a heavy iron range guide (I think that's what it is), then the very next signal hit a solid 94 both ways on the Deus II. Cool, I thought, a quarter already. Should be an old one since this house has been gone since before clad. Out it came from 2 - 3 inches deep. It was an 1838 matron, my very first field largie. About 30 minutes later I got a signal that was not solid, but was hitting low 90s both ways. Out from about 8" deep came another matron, which after some work on the date turned out to be an 1833. As luck would have it, my brother had just pulled up and was getting out of the car when I saw the coin. "Largie number two," I yelled. "Really!", he responded. He went to work hoping to be lucky enough to get one himself. He did get half of a tennis ball sized crotal bell and a really nice #2 crotal. About an hour later, I hit another signal that was bouncing in the low 90s both ways and I called him over. I was using my 13x11 elliptical coil and he was using his 11" round coil, but he could hit the signal. He admitted it was deep and faint and said he had not hit anything that sounded that good. I dug it and it was a braided hair largie that we could not make out the date on. After I got it home, I worked on it a LOT, and it turned out to be an 1856, but you can't tell it in the photo.

Some really old guy drove by slow, looking at us and turned around and came back and stopped. I talked to him for a few minutes. Turned out he used to hunt, but said he was too old now. he said he hunted that yard when the house was still standing and got a half dime. Said it was the first one he ever saw and he didn't even know what it was at first. I didn't tell him I had found 3 largies in there. Even if he didn't hunt himself, he might tell some friends.

My brother would up getting a one piece button with London on the back and a couple of wheaties just before we quit. Needless to say, I will be doing some more field hunting of the old house sites from the 1860s map. What gets me is, where are the pennies from between the 1941 wheatie and the largies? There should be some Indians in there.

3 Largies.JPG

Upvote 31

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've switched from finding IHPs to Large cents! This is the first time in my life I have found 3 in one day.

I want to thank the Kenneth G Rare Coins employee in Mishawaka Indiana for telling me he had been doing 'better in the fields'. After today, I may not go back to standing old house yards at all. I looked up an old house near me on the 1860s map that I knew the owner of the land, called him and got permission to hunt the field. I had tried field hunting a couple of times in the past and gotten a couple of Indian heads, but nothing like today! I got to the area and went into the field. I started seeing pieces of broken glass and pottery almost immediately. I had parked only 30 yards short of the house site. There were no iron signals to speak of until I got 30 yards from the car, then I hit them. The first diggable signal I got was a heavy iron range guide (I think that's what it is), then the very next signal hit a solid 94 both ways on the Deus II. Cool, I thought, a quarter already. Should be an old one since this house has been gone since before clad. Out it came from 2 - 3 inches deep. It was an 1838 matron, my very first field largie. About 30 minutes later I got a signal that was not solid, but was hitting low 90s both ways. Out from about 8" deep came another matron, which after some work on the date turned out to be an 1833. As luck would have it, my brother had just pulled up and was getting out of the car when I saw the coin. "Largie number two," I yelled. "Really!", he responded. He went to work hoping to be lucky enough to get one himself. He did get half of a tennis ball sized crotal bell and a really nice #2 crotal. About an hour later, I hit another signal that was bouncing in the low 90s both ways and I called him over. I was using my 13x11 elliptical coil and he was using his 11" round coil, but he could hit the signal. He admitted it was deep and faint and said he had not hit anything that sounded that good. I dug it and it was a braided hair largie that we could not make out the date on. After I got it home, I worked on it a LOT, and it turned out to be an 1856, but you can't tell it in the photo.

Some really old guy drove by slow, looking at us and turned around and came back and stopped. I talked to him for a few minutes. Turned out he used to hunt, but said he was too old now. he said he hunted that yard when the house was still standing and got a half dime. Said it was the first one he ever saw and he didn't even know what it was at first. I didn't tell him I had found 3 largies in there. Even if he didn't hunt himself, he might tell some friends.

My brother would up getting a one piece button with London on the back and a couple of wheaties just before we quit. Needless to say, I will be doing some more field hunting of the old house sites from the 1860s map. What gets me is, where are the pennies from between the 1941 wheatie and the largies? There should be some Indians in there.

View attachment 2147439
Looks like you had a great hunt....people do talk... especially if you are finding old coins...love to see your future finds from this place. :)

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ABSOLUTELY AMAZING :) Is this one of the places you were going to take us ? What coil and what program ?
Thanks for sharing buddy :) I am about all done with moving all our horse things and tractors

OP
OP
lrgoodger

lrgoodger

May 2, 2023
Cassopolis, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000-D, Garrett GTA-1000, Minelab Sovereign, XP Deus I, Equinox 800, XP Deus II
ABSOLUTELY AMAZING :) Is this one of the places you were going to take us ? What coil and what program ?
Thanks for sharing buddy :) I am about all done with moving all our horse things and tractors
No, this is a new site I found yesterday. It's about 2 miles from the area I was going to take you. I've been keeping an eye on it and they should have it turned over this week. They have already started on the far end. I also just looked up the holdings of another guy who gave me permission. He has MASSIVE land holdings in this area, so we will have no shortage of places to go. You better start making preparations to come!

Athens

Apr 27, 2024

OP
OP
lrgoodger

lrgoodger

May 2, 2023
Cassopolis, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Looks like you had a great hunt....people do talk... especially if you are finding old coins...love to see your future finds from this place. :)
I don't have pictures but when my brother came yesterday and saw that I was digging large cents, he said, "There should be seated in here then!" If we get lucky enough, I said.
Well, I didn't get lucky today, he did. He got an 1876 dime and an 1863 IHP. I didn't get squat today. But I got some new permissions lined up for tomorrow.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have pictures but when my brother came yesterday and saw that I was digging large cents, he said, "There should be seated in here then!" If we get lucky enough, I said.
Well, I didn't get lucky today, he did. He got an 1876 dime and an 1863 IHP. I didn't get squat today. But I got some new permissions lined up for tomorrow.
Nice that you can share this permission with your brother... those are great finds....and more waiting for you both to recover!

Athens

Apr 27, 2024
Thank you,I will have to wait till the first hay is cut to go back.Its a huge area so kinda daunting but sure makes me wonder what else is there.I think if we have a hard winter it should push some more treasures up.I don't mind the cold.lol

Athens

Apr 27, 2024
How thrilling you scored your first and some.
Thank you.I was really stunned seeing the nice shiny silver in the hole.wasnt expecting it.It rang really high and has never heard that tone before so didn't know what to expect.supper pumped 👍

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you,I will have to wait till the first hay is cut to go back.Its a huge area so kinda daunting but sure makes me wonder what else is there.I think if we have a hard winter it should push some more treasures up.I don't mind the cold.lol
I'm thinking I may ask permission for a field in my area...it's owned by a farm here.... would love to find some older coins!

Athens

Apr 27, 2024
I'm thinking I may ask permission for a field in my area...it's owned by a farm here.... would love to find some older coins!
I would for sure especially if it's a older property,I guess you really don't know till you try.I found my oldest coin in the middle of a field,There was a revolutionary road nearby so I believe that's why I found it there.I just researched the fair ground I was mentioning and come to find out there was a hidden tunnel there for the underground railroad,omg I can't wait to try it if I can get access 🤭

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 2147439
wow, big time gratz

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would for sure especially if it's a older property,I guess you really don't know till you try.I found my oldest coin in the middle of a field,There was a revolutionary road nearby so I believe that's why I found it there.I just researched the fair ground I was mentioning and come to find out there was a hidden tunnel there for the underground railroad,omg I can't wait to try it if I can get access 🤭
That is amazing... I'm sure your research will yield some great finds! Getting permission is the awkward part but I'll start asking around...

Athens

Apr 27, 2024
That is amazing... I'm sure your research will yield some great finds! Getting permission is the awkward part but I'll start asking around...
When I ask for permission I usually offer something to owners,Help around farm or venison if they eat it.90 percent of the time,they appreciate you ask and usually respond in a good way,and say Yes.Never hurts to ask and people respect that.Good luck hopefully you score a new permission 👍

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2147439
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread