Dirty Digger Doug

Jul 17, 2020
Grand Rapids Michigan
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this on the outside edge of a footing that is about 500' long. It is inside a park that runs along a RR track. There used to be large building here. I thinking the building once serviced the RR. There is a copper plate embedded in the concrete. Guessing it was a marker, but for what? Any ideas?
IMG_20230323_110353576.jpg
IMG_20230323_143159597_HDR~2.jpg

Found this on the outside edge of a footing that is about 500' long. It is inside a park that runs along a RR track. There used to be large building here. I thinking the building once serviced the RR. There is a copper plate embedded in the concrete. Guessing it was a marker, but for what? Any ideas?
View attachment 2075472View attachment 2075473
I'm new to the whole treasure hunting thing, so take my opinion worth a grain of salt.

That being said, it's quite possibly a marker like how you said. If anything if a line needed maintenance the workers wouldn't have to travel the whole line to find the problem.

But this is a flat out guess, instead of anything educated.

Was it on the north side of the building: north center? Just curious.

View attachment 2075472View attachment 2075473
My guess would be the benchmark for the building construction.

I think it is a survey monument

I haven't seen any survey section monuments that look like that in Michigan. But you can check what section of land you are in on a county/township map. If you are in section 15 then maybe that's how they did them in that county.
But if it's on private land I think it's related to something there. If it's in the RR R.O.W. my guess is that it's a mile marker 15 and the symbol indicates a single/multiple RR track. Is there an R/W inscribed on the sides of the concrete square not visible in your picture?
Jon 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back