What's new

You need to be prepared!

mumszie

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2005
Messages
2,819
Reaction score
123
Golden Thread
0
Location
Spring Hill, Florida
This morning was just beautiful! Absolutely perfect day for hunting. The sun was coming up with just a slight breeze blowing but there was barely a ripple in the water. It was almost like a mirror. PERFECT! I hunted for almost an hour and a half and didn't get one signal. Now that was not much fun. I kept checking my coil against my scoop to make sure it was working. I had just replaced the batteries so I knew that was not the problem. Then I got a signal. I got 2 hoop earrings in one scoop. OK at least I was finally getting some hits. I kept going. Like I said the water was like a mirror. I turned around to start my next line and not 10 feet from me I see a fin headed straight at me! It scared the beejeebee's out of me at first. It happened real fast and almost immediately I realized it was a dolphin. But that instant before I realized what it was................ The fin was kind of bent over and then I saw his nose come out of the water. Yep, a dolphin but I gotta tell you it still scared me since it was so close, heading straight at me and I was chest deep in the water. No way could I get out of his way in time so I just stood still waiting. He must have changed course because he never touched me and I never saw him go by. Once he went underwater I didn't see him again. I see manatee's at this place all the time and they even brush up against me from time to time. I knew dolphins came up the river because I've seen them a few times but always out in the river headed one way or the other but this one was in the swimming area. I've seen dolphins out in the gulf and even had a pod surround me once down at Clearwater but they were not as close to me as this one was. Well, all I've got to say about this is that anyone that hunts in the water needs to be prepared for these little scares. I know lots of you gng's have had similar experiences and some have even had shark experiences. I know they are out there. But everytime something like this happens it gives me a little scare until I realize just what it is.

Well that is my story for today. My take for today was 3 hoop earrings, 1 quarter, 1 penny and I eyeballed a pair of goggles and a sand shovel on the bottom.

081410.jpg

Not a lot but what a great day it was! I hope your day is as good or better! :wink:
 
Upvote 0
My sister was in chest deep water in the surf, just playing around and two dolphins surfaced, one on each side of her. I have never seen anything like this before, but I think she actually walked on water, all the way to shore. :D :D :D Only the strong survive. You done good to be able to tell about it... :o and you even found some stuff.... Good hunting.
 
oh man Mumzie.. that would freaked me out too at first... phewwwwwwwww weeeeeeeeee for you... but I do have to admit I would love dolphins to come close to me..so I can touch one..but then again..theres that risk factor, is it really a dolphin or is it.. JAWS.....
 
Great accounting of a scary moment that turned out OK. I've detected quite a few beaches but never have ventured into the surf; you're braver than me, I think! Plus I don't have a water detector, anyway....how's that for an excuse :laughing7:

Dick
 
I had a seal pop up next to me here in California, that scared the bejeezus out of me.
 
Years ago I was out in chest deep and people started screaming and running for the shore. There was nothing I could do so I froze where I was at. I soon saw the shadows of what they were screaming about and quickly realized (with a sigh of relief) they were just manatee's! They(like you said Mumzie) scraped my skin as 4 of them swam by. Good hunt Mumzie and another learning story! :icon_thumright:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom