Your age question

old texan

Sep 8, 2021
smack dab in the heart of texas
Detector(s) used
white's classic II white's dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so if your posting your ages, when will you collect social security or when did you start collecting ? and why?
hello trainer - i m the person who started the age thread because i was curious and wanted to know - it s interesting to me - i started collecting social security in 2016 because i could

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started SS at 66, I figure out how much money I would miss between 66 and 70 if I waited till I was 70, added it up, then divided it by how much extra I got by waiting till I was 70 and that gave me how many months to break even, divided that amount by 12 to get years it would take me almost 12 years to break even so that meant I wouldnt break even till I was 82, said screw it I might not live that long and started SS at 66, but I continued working till I was 71.

Last edited:

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started ASAP, cause I didn't figure I'd live much longer. WRONG
I'm in my mid-late seventies.
If you can hold off collecting, say at 62-65? cause you have another retirement plan, do so; because the longer you wait the more your SS Check will be.
BUT IF """"" you die, SOL $$$$ goes to one of the thousands crossing illegally. At lest that's what the D want to do.
Health would pay a part on collecting also.

old texan

Sep 8, 2021
smack dab in the heart of texas
Detector(s) used
white's classic II white's dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started SS at 66, I figure out how much money I would miss between 66 and 70 if I waited till I was 70, added it up, then divided it by how much extra I got by waiting till I was 70 and that gave me how many months to break even, divided that amount 12 to get years, it would take me almost 12 years to break even so that meant I wouldnt break even till I was 82, said screw it I might not live that long and started SS at 66, but I continued working till I was 71.
an old friend of mine said a fast nickle beats a slow dime - i think he was right - kinda jives with einstein's theory of relativity

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I never intended to retire, loved my career - construction engineering = 67 projects in 29 states. But then had a scheduled appointment at the VA, and found my large intestines were "corrupted". So, found myself wearing diapers due to only 6" of large intestines remaining. Thus I retired. Physically back to normal now, and happily retired for 7 years now.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I started collecting SS at 66 1/2. I'm still working and just bank my SS check every month. I went in to give notice & my boss gave me a new company truck & a raise if I stayed on. That was almost 2 yrs ago. I may work at least another year or so, not sure yet.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started collecting SS at 66 1/2. I'm still working and just bank my SS check every month. I went in to give notice & my boss gave me a new company truck & a raise if I stayed on. That was almost 2 yrs ago. I may work at least another year or so, not sure yet.
That was what I was doing till I was laid off at 71.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I’m almost 66 and plan to start collecting at 661/2 and banking the whole thing while I work full time another 8 years ( that’s the plan but no guarantees of course). This is bc I have no pension and started 401k just recently. This appears to me to be my best option.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I’m almost 66 and plan to start collecting at 661/2 and banking the whole thing while I work full time another 8 years ( that’s the plan but no guarantees of course). This is bc I have no pension and started 401k just recently. This appears to me to be my best option.
I've been construction my whole working life, no pension so you have to pay yourself 1st. Put money away, lots of it, live with in your means, get debt free etc. I buy silver and put it in my safe hoping it will be a hedge against inflation. I guess that should work for anyone.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Retired at age 44. I'm now 63 and started collecting SS at 62. Since I don't need the money I just let it accumulate. I could have waited until I turned 70 but have concerns I wouldn't live long enough to make the accumulated difference matter.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Retired at 48 Started to collect the CPP (Canada Pension) @ 60
Just mailed he application papers for the OAS (Old Age Security) eligible at 65
Better in my account, than theirs.
They still tax it-regardless
That's a whole different subject.
Meanwhile we just bend over touch our toes, and they don't say thank you-

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Retired at 53, started taking my SS at 62. No regrets.
I also retired early, 54. Technology stock market funds I'd built up working for all the years back then, made it easy to cruise to 62 and take SS. I just got lucky, the way it all unfolded. Timing was right for me. Covid back then woulda changed everything.

My father took SS at 62. He lived to 75. I think he was my model for instantly taking SS at 62. He was always happy.

OP
OP
trainer

trainer

Feb 13, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Now this is what im afraid of im turning 62 next year and you guys are giving me a good heads up on things, if I look at this country now its falling apart real fast especially these people coming to take what we earn to live for,Im not thinking straight so I appreciate everyones response
(BUT IF """"" you die, SOL $$$$ goes to one of the thousands crossing illegally. At lest that's what the D want to do.
Health would pay a part on collecting also.) thanks metro same thought

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Afraid SS won't be enough; turn your hobby into cash
Turn your stories into $$. Everyone has a story to tell. If you can't make a good paragraph, find a friend who can.
Yard sale; when you're that old, you have 2 of everything and so do the kids. They don't want your stuff.
Flea market, or swap meet in some areas. Meet new friends and that usually leads to new ideas.
Even when on SS , after a certain age, you can make all the $$ you want/need, no taxes on SS.
Got a friend who makes $100,000+ selling little ankle biters. Not a puppy mill, very well ran and a waiting list. Auctions, storage lockers, estate sales etc. I/we paid for an Alaskan cruise.
Can you draw, paint? oils/watercolors
Endless. Get off the couch and DO something. The last years are the BEST YEARS. Gotta hustle

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Afraid SS won't be enough; turn your hobby into cash
Turn your stories into $$. Everyone has a story to tell. If you can't make a good paragraph, find a friend who can.
Yard sale; when you're that old, you have 2 of everything and so do the kids. They don't want your stuff.
Flea market, or swap meet in some areas. Meet new friends and that usually leads to new ideas.
Even when on SS , after a certain age, you can make all the $$ you want/need, no taxes on SS.
Got a friend who makes $100,000+ selling little ankle biters. Not a puppy mill, very well ran and a waiting list. Auctions, storage lockers, estate sales etc. I/we paid for an Alaskan cruise.
Can you draw, paint? oils/watercolors
Endless. Get off the couch and DO something. The last years are the BEST YEARS. Gotta hustle
There is taxes on SS, if your combined income, yours or yours and wife's combined is over $32k a year, 85% of your SS becomes taxable income.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread