zinc pennies kind of broken audio?

muddyrock

Jun 19, 2016
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got my AT-Max and during an air test (Quarter, nickle dime and penny) all went well except the penny? Date on the penny (1999) gave a solid 74/75 vdi but the audio was almost broken and had like a blip to it. The other coins where nice and clear. I then looked through some more pennies and got a 1975 penny which gave me nice clear audio and pretty much a solid 80 VDI.

I was using the zero mode with disc at 38 and sensitivity 2 bars from full. I guess what I am asking is, is this normal and if so why is the audio no clear like the 1975 penny?

Thanks in advance for any help on this,
MR

JoeVal

Oct 28, 2018
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 & 800
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zinc is low quality metal with a bit of copper cladding. That’s why the nasty sound. 1982 and older pennies are copper. I actually separate my pennies and keep the copper ones and turn in the zinc to the coin machine at my bank. Someday they might be worth more as scrap per pound than their face value.

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My M6 does the same thing. It makes a terrible, ugly sound when there's a zinc penny under it. I call it the "zincoln squall". I can tell with 100% accuracy whether it's a zinc or not because it's such a unique sound. I still dig em most of the time, but the machine has never been tricked. Not once. It's very handy when I'm in an area with tons of modern clad and I'm fed up with digging rotten zincs. I just walk right over 'em.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will learn the machine I .love my Max

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread