Zouave button?

MCollett

Sep 26, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Equinox 800
I found a Zouave button last summer under a root of a large oak tree. Today, my brother found the button pictured below about 5 feet from mine. It has the ball top, but not as rounded. Almost like half a ball instead if three quarters like mine. Shank is soldered you can see in the arrow pic. It is in pretty bad shape. So, Zouave or just a two piece dome?

19767.jpeg 19766.jpeg 19769.jpeg 19770.jpeg 19779.jpeg

Last edited:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
To me, it looks like a small button from an Edwardian ladies high neck blouse or sweater, possibly a cuff button.
Interesting that it's completely made of iron, also looks like it's been through a fire given to the colour of the metal and the blackening of the surface.

Date wise, I'm thinking early 20thc.
Dave

"The Edwardian era, between 1900-20, was a simple yet romantic time in fashion. The blouses of the early 20th century featured the large puffy shoulders made famous by the Gibson Girl, delicate lace blouses of the Titanic era, and intricate embroidery on chiffon for post war fashions. There were so many beautiful Edwardian style blouses. Chunky knit cardigan sweaters became the new sportswear for women. Simple hip length designs with a contrasting trim were worn for golf, hiking, skiing, or working at home."

Attachments

• 1916-women-blouses-300x394.jpeg
    1916-women-blouses-300x394.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread