What's new

Zouave ???

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took an hour this afternoon and went back to the same place I found the NC Staff button Indian War, and dug what I 'think' is a Zouave button. It measures about 12mm. As I was cleaning the dirt out of the back of it, the shank loop fell out with the dirt. From what I understand the Zouave soldiers were here from around 1700 to the end of the Civil War. Any information or confirmation on this button would be appreciated. ;D Breezie
 

Attachments

  • Zouave1.webp
    Zouave1.webp
    36.2 KB · Views: 301
  • Zouave2.webp
    Zouave2.webp
    33 KB · Views: 281
Can't help you on the button info, but I wish you luck with a positive ID!
HH,
Bunker
 
Upvote 0
Hi Breezie
The thing in the middle looks like lead shot gun slug.
Is it lead ?
roger
 
Upvote 0
rodgerdodger said:
Hi Breezie
The thing in the middle looks like lead shot gun slug.
Is it lead ?
roger
Hello Roger, The round object in the middle is what I think is a Zouave button, and the shank was inside of the button along with dirt. It is made of brass. Thanks for your post and thank you BUNKER for your reply too. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I have found lots of these in about a dozen sizes of these round (ball) buttons. Some from civil war camps and sites and some from house sites. Although these buttons are commonly known as Zouave buttons they had many uses. Being that there were Zouaves in your area it could very well be from one of them. But these buttons were used for many things. They were also sold for civilian wear. I have seen small sizes like yours on old button up shirts, cuffs, dresses, kids clothes, even on hats. Either way its old and is a cool find. I always like seeing those buttons pop up out of a plug. Congrats on your find. Mike
 
Upvote 0
Hard to say what kind of button it is. Zouave units were popular from about mid 1840,s to end of civil war in the U.S..
They were copied from the french algerian troops under Napoleon the 2nd. They were allways stat malita units which means they had mostly state seal button on there uniforms. They were elite units both north and south. See 5th New York volunteer inf.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks to all who posted :thumbsup: I can green check this one as a Zouave or Zouave-like Round button. Breezie
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom