I guess im out of the game for a little while...

JustKeepDigging

May 2, 2013
Jupiter, FL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
PRL-1 Whites, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never ever would I have thought what happened, would happen. Late last night, while using my new Tesoro sand shark, (4 months old) on a beach called Singer island here in south florida, I was confronted by 2 males with masks on. They had crazy Halloween masks. They had a knife and asked me to empty my pockets. They took my wallet, metal detector, scoop, iPhone , and even my freaking car keys. Then they told me if I moved at all they would charge at me and cut me "for real" as they said. So they ran off, and I waited like 30 mins. I slowly walked back to where I parked, called my parents at a 7 eleven near by and we filed a report. I honestly think they're going to find these guys. Im checking CL everyday and things like that. It really sucks cause I'm in collage and it was like a side job/hobby I really enjoyed lol. But I'm alright, and that's all that matters. I'll keep you guys updated on whatever happens. For now, no more detecting for me! I can't wait to post there mug shots on here once they get them :P I've got the serial number on that baby written down so soon enough I'll get my detector back!!!! I hope :(

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JustKeepDigging

JustKeepDigging

May 2, 2013
Jupiter, FL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This kind of thing sucks, I am very sorry that that people exist like them.. Not sure if it was mentioned but if hey took your wallet and keys they now know where you live and have access. Change your locks ASAP! If your phone has a navigation app with "home" mapped, it is even easier for them. Best of luck recovering your items.

CRAP I DIDNT EVEN THINK OF THAT!!! Home Depot here I come. We called in today, and no news back. They did say there were break ins that night and they could be connected.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you made it out of this situation alive and the other stuff can be replaced.
Several years ago two cowards robbed a man coming home from his business and he gave them everything he had in his night deposit bag and just for kicks, they shot him ten times. He lived, but he's disabled.
A 30 year old woman was working at a small store in a town about 5 miles from him and trying to support her 3 little children and six robbers, each had a gun robbed her and she complied with every thing they said and they shot her to death just for the status.
All 6 of these robbers had parents working at high paying jobs and didn't suffer from poverty. They just wanted to kill somebody to obtain status.
There is no safety in this world, but get a carry permit and keep your eyes and ears open. I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
The bear repellent is a good idea, but if the wind is against you, they will find out the penalty for carrying a knife to a gun fight.
I'm not saying this to sound tough, but as a disabled person with spinal injuries and limited mobility, I'm not able to fight anyone and people like this don't fight fair. That explains the surprise attack. It's just the reality of the world we live in. Stay safe when you're out and about.

OP
OP
JustKeepDigging

JustKeepDigging

May 2, 2013
Jupiter, FL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad you made it out of this situation alive and the other stuff can be replaced. Several years ago two cowards robbed a man coming home from his business and he gave them everything he had in his night deposit bag and just for kicks, they shot him ten times. He lived, but he's disabled. A 30 year old woman was working at a small store in a town about 5 miles from him and trying to support her 3 little children and six robbers, each had a gun robbed her and she complied with every thing they said and they shot her to death just for the status. All 6 of these robbers had parents working at high paying jobs and didn't suffer from poverty. They just wanted to kill somebody to obtain status. There is no safety in this world, but get a carry permit and keep your eyes and ears open. I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6. The bear repellent is a good idea, but if the wind is against you, they will find out the penalty for carrying a knife to a gun fight. I'm not saying this to sound tough, but as a disabled person with spinal injuries and limited mobility, I'm not able to fight anyone and people like this don't fight fair. That explains the surprise attack. It's just the reality of the world we live in. Stay safe when you're out and about.
I really appreciate the input, I'm so freaking lucky they didn't do anything besides rob me. I was ready to run at a moment into the ocean, not having my valuables anymore, getting wet wasn't an issue. But they just ran and I sat around until they left in fear they would hurt me. One of the worst nights of my life...

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
JKD, I am so sorry to read about this horrific incident that you encountered ; thank God that you were not harmed physically.

I hope that these bold criminals are captured quickly and are given the maximum penalty for what they did.

Please keep us posted on the progress of the investigation.

Take care,

Lorraine

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
You will recover and learn from this. I hunt the area u were robbed in. Hey we are apart of the top 20 dangerous cities in the USA. Being a Floridian and growing up looking over my back I feel your pain. I just want you to know if I was nearby I would have backed u. Dont give up and keep swinging. Load yer cannons mate.

David in Germany

Apr 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a native floridian I am sad about how Florida has become. Thank goodness it is a carry state.

Sent from my GT-S7710 using Tapatalk

TonyTiger

Nov 5, 2013
Mellieha, Malta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cutlass Umax and Minelab X Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do night detecting on the beach here on malta,so far it's been pretty safe but now we have boat people fro North Africa arriving almost daily I'm not sure i want to do detecting a night.Good luck on retrieving your gear.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 20. After this incident my parents and I are planning on getting me my license.
I would still hunt with a partner at night. I sometimes carry a small 380 that slips in a pocket holster, but I had a situation where 2 kids walked up on me one night (I hunt with one ear muff off too) and honestly they could have jumped me before I knew what was going on and shot me with my own pistol if the wanted to. They only wanted a ride towards town which I declined and they quickly walked off into the night. There was some background noise from a local industrial plant where I work, but the beach usually has pretty good background noise also. Just wanted you to be aware that carrying doesn't mean you're necessarily "safe".

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That makes me mad, BUT I wield my **** like Spartacus.they would of needed a singer (island) to close up there stitches. been there,had thugs thinking maybe they want my stuff . Hope they catch those POS's swing /slash/ thrust. Just saying

Those of us who had bayonet training in the Army or Marines know some pretty good moves that could be used with a metal detector or shovel to parry left or right, slash, smash, jab and butt stroke.

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may have ended much worse if anyone was caring fire arms. Most likely they will find the scumbags and the kid will get the detector back. It is important to keep in mind that for every story like this, there are many many night hunters that have not had any problems. Justkeepdigging, I am sorry that you had to go through such a scary experience, but glad that you are ok!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
It may have ended much worse if anyone was caring fire arms

The only way a firearm could of made it worse is somebody who was carrying one that didnt know how to use it.Ive seen it many times,people go out and buy something,they automatically think they know how to use it.It couldnt be further from the truth.

OP
OP
JustKeepDigging

JustKeepDigging

May 2, 2013
Jupiter, FL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will recover and learn from this. I hunt the area u were robbed in. Hey we are apart of the top 20 dangerous cities in the USA. Being a Floridian and growing up looking over my back I feel your pain. I just want you to know if I was nearby I would have backed u. Dont give up and keep swinging. Load yer cannons mate.
. Thanks so much!! If I had another person with me, we could have taken them! Lol. So far, I haven't had any luck with getting my stuff back :( I really wish I could MD this up coming week. Lets hope they find it soon!

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What happened to you really stinks and I hope those guys get what they deserve. I'm sure glad you are okay and I hope you can get another detector soon !!!

OP
OP
JustKeepDigging

JustKeepDigging

May 2, 2013
Jupiter, FL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What happened to you really stinks and I hope those guys get what they deserve. I'm sure glad you are okay and I hope you can get another detector soon !!!
yeah it sucks, I just saved up so much for that machine...and just like that it's gone. If anyone has a used water detector for sale I may need one soon if they don't find my sand shark, I've already been saving a little since it's been stolen.

Last edited:

JUNKER

Apr 7, 2012
SW FL,Copper Hill VA,Temple ME
Detector(s) used
XLT GrandmastercxIII Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear what happen to you ,I'm glad your all right as for the stuff you may get it back. But not only do they know where you live they have your car keys they could come back and steal that at a later time these kind of people would come back and steal it to use in other crimes. Maybe you could tell some of the pawn shops what kind of detector it was they could keep a eye out for some wouldn't want to buy a stolen one. Good Luck

worthy

Dec 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro , whites pi , garrett ace 250, c-scope ib
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
really sorry to hear this , as long as your,e ok, stuff can be replaced, although very expensive!!

kladdhunden

Apr 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im really sry it happened to you.
If u have some local pawnshops u should maybe check em out, some ppl are stupid and will pawn stolen stuff and as they have to show ID many stupid ppl get caught that way if it comes up as stolen later on.
I live in sweden and we don't have alot of theese things going on but we aint many doing the hobby either in the whole country but i tend to try to not be out after dark alone cause u never know.
Im like in a diffrent world with those headphones on and if its dark at the same time its hard to pay attention to the surrondings.

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't believe people would do this , I guess being from a smaller town iam not aware of what might be going on in the bigger centers , that is just down right low!! And you guys are right if you fight back and retaliate and end up hurting one of these low life's it can screw up your own life for good as well, not mentioning the money it would cost to defend yourself in court,in my younger days I also worked as a bouncer in a nightclub and got into my fair share of battles , never any guns, knives etc, just good old fist a cuffs !! Everyone please be careful night hunting out there!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

zenman

Jul 15, 2010
Palm Beach County Florida
Detector(s) used
IconData unit

Aquapulse AQ1B, TM-808 W/ Cave. Garrett Infinium LS, JW Fisher Pulse 8x, JW Fisher Diver Mag 1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems you were missing the most important metal detector accessory, a colt 45!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread