I guess im out of the game for a little while...

JustKeepDigging

May 2, 2013
Jupiter, FL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
PRL-1 Whites, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never ever would I have thought what happened, would happen. Late last night, while using my new Tesoro sand shark, (4 months old) on a beach called Singer island here in south florida, I was confronted by 2 males with masks on. They had crazy Halloween masks. They had a knife and asked me to empty my pockets. They took my wallet, metal detector, scoop, iPhone , and even my freaking car keys. Then they told me if I moved at all they would charge at me and cut me "for real" as they said. So they ran off, and I waited like 30 mins. I slowly walked back to where I parked, called my parents at a 7 eleven near by and we filed a report. I honestly think they're going to find these guys. Im checking CL everyday and things like that. It really sucks cause I'm in collage and it was like a side job/hobby I really enjoyed lol. But I'm alright, and that's all that matters. I'll keep you guys updated on whatever happens. For now, no more detecting for me! I can't wait to post there mug shots on here once they get them :P I've got the serial number on that baby written down so soon enough I'll get my detector back!!!! I hope :(

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad your at least physically ok, detectors can be replaced. Didn't think singer isle was like that. Makes me rethink my over night hunts solo, thought about having my firearm when out alone overnight, but just added issues with those. But I sure would hand the detector first as I swing the scoop in a manner to severely injure one. In my mind at least, being caught by surprise can change any outcome. Least it wasn't this knock out game crap.
I HAD GUYS APPROACH ME YRS AGO AND ASK FOR MY GOLD - THEY LOOKED SUSPICIOUS FROM FAR AWAY AND WERE TALKING INTO THEIR HANDS AS THEY MADE THEIR WAY TOWARDS ME - SO I KNEW THEY WRE GONNA PULL SOMETHING - I WAS IN SHALLOW WATER WITH MY WHITES PI - I SLOWLY LET IT SLIP OFF MY RIGHT ARM - IT SANK TO THE BOTTOM (HAD IT WEIGHTED) AND THEN PUT BOTH HANDS ON MY SCOOP
THEY ASKED FOR MY GOLD - WHICH I HAD 2 RINGS THAT DAY - I LAUGHED AND THEY SAID WHATS SO FUNNY? i SAID "I GONNA RIP THE FIRST ONE OF YOU THAT MAKES A MOVES HEAD OFF WITH THIS AND THEN BEAT THE OTHER TO DEATH WITH IT!!" AND I SAID IT LIKE A MAN POSSESSED
THEY LOOKED AT EACH OTHER - WHITE AS GHOSTS AND I YELLED "LETS GO!" AND SPUN IT IN MY HANDS AND THEN FAINTED AT THEM - SCARED THEM AND THEY SAID "YOURE CRAZY" AND I SAID "YOU DONT KNOW JUST HOW MUCH" - THEY LEFT - LATER A COP SHOWED UP AND ASKED IF THERE WAS A PROBLEM AND SCOLDED ME FOR THREATENING THEM - I SAID "I AINT GOING DOWN OR GIVING ANYTHING UP WITH OUT A FIGHT"
BUT I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS APPROACH FOR EVERYONE - IF I HUNT AN UNSAVORY SPOT - I USUALLY WILL CARRY A LARGE DIVE KNIFE - BUT IM ALSO USUALLY OUT FAR ENOUGH THAT I DONT HAVE RUN INS

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crazy story Casper, glad you were aware enough to take defensive action. Typical for a scummy to prey on the unsuspecting, but when tables are turned how quickly they turn into a "helpless victim". Last week I was detecting at a police athletic league park, 3 ethnic kids ranging from 18-20ish showed up, 2 went in bathroom and one stayed on playground swing. Seemed like the 2 in the bathroom were just smoking wacky tobacco, one on the swing was assuring he could hook up who ever was on the phone with something. 20 min later some suburban kid shows up pants down past his arse, goes with the one on the swing to bathroom, unknowing about the 2 staged in the bathroom, hear some scuffling, look up to see the wanna be gangsta gun to his head being punched repeatedly while one kid takes all from pockets. 2 in bathroom now haul butt, the third acts like he didn't know what was going on. And the kid who got robbed is now waving his gun around at the one who set him up. Crazy for sure. So they all bail, I pack up and leave, as I am pulling out see the 3rd kid from swings getting in the car of the 2 who did the robbing couple blocks away. I know this crap happens everyday. It's tough to stomach in a small retirement community that has not one ghetto, nor project. This happened no more then 100yards from 4 police cruisers parked at the main PAL building.

mineralized_miner

Dec 2, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster GT
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If You're hunting at night, don't wear headphones! You may hear people coming up to you, especially if they're in a group, and there isn't much tourist noise at night (I.E. Talking, yelling, radioes, etc.). You may lose some finds at night to wave noise, but if you want to avoid that, get a nice adapter for earbuds and then put only one in your ear and let the other ear hear the sounds around you. Carry a weapon, such as a gun, as well as a permit if it is required. Use the sand scoop as a weapon (or threaten to) as in casper's story. These are all suggestions, and if you don't like them, don't try them.

Good luck,and I hope a similar thing does not happen to you, reader!

R.Danneskjold

Jun 23, 2013
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Shark arrived at JKDs door today! I thought the mail was gonna let us down but it made it before Christmas. Would be nice to see these guys caught in the end but sure happy he is headed back to the water. In a way the bad guys lose.......just keep swinging! Good luck JKD!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
JustKeepDigging

JustKeepDigging

May 2, 2013
Jupiter, FL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Shark arrived at JKDs door today! I thought the mail was gonna let us down but it made it before Christmas. Would be nice to see these guys caught in the end sure happy he is headed back to the water. In a way the bad guys lose.......just keep swinging! Good luck JKD!!!!

Here it is!!! About to head to the beach! I'll post my finds !

Attachments

• image-3825498001.jpg
    image-3825498001.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 95

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Shark arrived at JKDs door today! I thought the mail was gonna let us down but it made it before Christmas. Would be nice to see these guys caught in the end but sure happy he is headed back to the water. In a way the bad guys lose.......just keep swinging! Good luck JKD!!!!
Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night :icon_queen:

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JKD,
I'm glad to hear that there is a happy ending to such a terrible incident.
If you have the serial# I would check the local pawn shops in your town and any surrounding towns. Also craigslist for your area. If you find it don't do or say anything or act suspicious. Just remove yourself from the area and call the police and then you can return with them to retrieve your metal detector. If it was sold to a pawn shop they are usually required to take I.D. And a picture of the person. So maybe the police will have more positive evidence to track down the thieves.

As far as the gracious gift you received from R.Danneskjold.
I believe he should be put up for a banner for his outstanding act of kindness.
There are not too many people in this world like him and acts of kindness like this should be noted.

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
Never ever would I have thought what happened, would happen. Late last night, while using my new Tesoro sand shark, (4 months old) on a beach called Singer island here in south florida, I was confronted by 2 males with masks on. They had crazy Halloween masks. They had a knife and asked me to empty my pockets. They took my wallet, metal detector, scoop, iPhone , and even my freaking car keys. Then they told me if I moved at all they would charge at me and cut me "for real" as they said. So they ran off, and I waited like 30 mins. I slowly walked back to where I parked, called my parents at a 7 eleven near by and we filed a report. I honestly think they're going to find these guys. Im checking CL everyday and things like that. It really sucks cause I'm in collage and it was like a side job/hobby I really enjoyed lol. But I'm alright, and that's all that matters. I'll keep you guys updated on whatever happens. For now, no more detecting for me! I can't wait to post there mug shots on here once they get them :P I've got the serial number on that baby written down so soon enough I'll get my detector back!!!! I hope :(

This is such a weird coincidence? ??? Just the other day on Tnet, I saw where another fellow TH'er that lives in Jupiter,FL stated he was victim of a very similar crime including having his metal detector stole from his car while attempting to night hunt at the beach. However, a very generous gentleman, a Royal Canadian Mountie also a member on here sent him a Tesoro Sand Shark out of the kindness of his heart. Now weeks later you are reporting as being a victim of a very similar crime (Tesoro Sand Shark) stolen, etc also in Jupiter? How weird is that. I think folks in that area need to be on high alert as if us TH'ers are some sort of target for some idiot thugs.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
If You're hunting at night, don't wear headphones! You may hear people coming up to you, especially if they're in a group, and there isn't much tourist noise at night (I.E. Talking, yelling, radioes, etc.). You may lose some finds at night to wave noise, but if you want to avoid that, get a nice adapter for earbuds and then put only one in your ear and let the other ear hear the sounds around you. Carry a weapon, such as a gun, as well as a permit if it is required. Use the sand scoop as a weapon (or threaten to) as in casper's story. These are all suggestions, and if you don't like them, don't try them.

Good luck,and I hope a similar thing does not happen to you, reader!

The staf I mean the scoop is an excellent weapon of choice. Ush

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The staf I mean the scoop is an excellent weapon of choice. Ush

So is my Ruger 9mm..... I always carry when I night hunt...

OP
OP
JustKeepDigging

JustKeepDigging

May 2, 2013
Jupiter, FL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is such a weird coincidence? ??? Just the other day on Tnet, I saw where another fellow TH'er that lives in Jupiter,FL stated he was victim of a very similar crime including having his metal detector stole from his car while attempting to night hunt at the beach. However, a very generous gentleman, a Royal Canadian Mountie also a member on here sent him a Tesoro Sand Shark out of the kindness of his heart. Now weeks later you are reporting as being a victim of a very similar crime (Tesoro Sand Shark) stolen, etc also in Jupiter? How weird is that. I think folks in that area need to be on high alert as if us TH'ers are some sort of target for some idiot thugs.

What?!?! Can you send me a link to that post? I think you may be confused with a other post I may have put up.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The scoop to the head does work wonders. I clubbed the local village idiot with mine a few years back. Post is here somewhere. My local idiot wasn't trying to rob me, but was intent on throwing things at me. When confronted, he made a move which left him with a severe headache, and it wasn't the booze. :D

seaweed

Greenie
Oct 20, 2012
SFL
Detector(s) used
ExcalII
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@JustKeepDigging - whereabouts did the guys who robbed you exit the beach area? There are city operated cameras in a few places at the beach - not sure who runs them , either Riviera or Palm Beach Shores (or both). Def worth checking out even if they didnt exit the beach at the cams after robbing you, they could have been hanging out for a period of time earlier and been caught on cam...just my 2 centavos

OP
OP
JustKeepDigging

JustKeepDigging

May 2, 2013
Jupiter, FL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
@JustKeepDigging - whereabouts did the guys who robbed you exit the beach area? There are city operated cameras in a few places at the beach - not sure who runs them , either Riviera or Palm Beach Shores (or both). Def worth checking out even if they didnt exit the beach at the cams after robbing you, they could have been hanging out for a period of time earlier and been caught on cam...just my 2 centavos

John? What's up brotha! I've checked already, it happened down towards the public beach area around 3 am local time...still haven't had any response on anything. Lets hit the beach soon man.

seaweed

Greenie
Oct 20, 2012
SFL
Detector(s) used
ExcalII
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right on, wasnt sure if you knew about the cams -- - yeah would like to hit beach when conditions improve (hopefully soon)..too much sand right now:/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions