Confirmed New Var. Revolutionary War Button, Pennsylvania State Regiment UPDATED

Briz06

Jan 1, 2011
Phoenixville, PA
Detector(s) used
White's V3X, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
*****UPDATE****

Hey guys,

As promised I've Taken some high-res pics of the button. You can find them at this link.. I will now be emailing Don T. to see what he has to say..
http://imgur.com/a/vDGUA/all
Thanks for your intrest and support..

Usually when i am out swinging and dirt fishing, its for clad. I like many of you love finding pre-1964 silver. Lately Ive been in a drought of that, and mostly come home averaging a few bucks in clad and alot of trash. While at work today I was discussing relics with one of my coworkers and told him that I don't ever throw my Garret in relic mode. He told me that I should, and he would love to see what I can come up with in my finds.. This afternoon I had absolutely no idea where I was going to go dirt fishing, I just hopped in the SUV and drove. I live in a fairly historic area, Valley Forge 3 miles away. I hopped onto Charlestown road and found myself in the hills above the Charlestown Playground.. At the bottom of the hill, Is a few old farms and an Old war cemetery. I stayed way clear of that, and stuck to the hills and flats.. Mostly what I found was old shotgun primers, lots of trash, cans etc.. However I did find some old nails, chain links, and a few old unmarked buttons.. Then I dug up this pewter P S R marked button. My online research tells me that it could be from the Pennsylvania State Regiment of Foot Which fought in the Battles of Brandywine, Germantown, Trenton, Valcour island, Brooklyn, and a few others..

This is what I've read so far..
http://twipa.blogspot.com/2011/07/happy-independence-day.html
http://www.reenactor.ru/ARH/PDF/Calver.pdf (pages 161 and 162) with Picture...

From the 2 specimens I've seen pictured, the one I found today looks in much better condition.

I was wondering if anyone out there can point to someplace to have this authenticated? I love history, But am not a historian by any stretch of the word. And would love to know if its rare or common to find such artifacts..

Thanks

Attachments

• psr1.jpg
    psr1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 3,001
  • IMG_0920.JPG
    IMG_0920.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 2,921
  • IMG_0914.JPG
    IMG_0914.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 2,936
Upvote 0

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Possible Revolutionary War Button, Pennsylvania State Foot Regiment

Here is contact info for Don T.

http://www.troianicollector.com/contact/

Good luck, I hope it is real, he may want to see two good photos of the backside, one directly above and one from the side view. It is always best to photograph the front of the button or any coin from directly overhead and not on a side angle....... Also include the diameter in mm.

Here is the description of the one in Don T's book

APSR.a. Raised double ring outer border and inner scalloped borders surrounding raised block letters "PSR" Found near Philadelphia. 24mm.

The border of his example is closer match to the Reproduction one posted above than yours, not that means anything I hope.

Don

OP
OP
B

Briz06

Jan 1, 2011
Phoenixville, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Possible Revolutionary War Button, Pennsylvania State Foot Regiment

Thanks all for your comments and intrest... I have hopes that I am in the ballpark, my other relics from yesterday seem to be in that age range, and Im definitley in the right area.. So, My fingers are crossed..

I will be photographing and emailing Don Troiani this evening.. I hope to have the pictures taken, sent to Don, and posted here by 5:30 so I can get a few hours of hunting in this afternoon... As soon as I hear back from Don, I will post his reply and let you all know!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

Briz06

Jan 1, 2011
Phoenixville, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Possible Revolutionary War Button, Pennsylvania State Foot Regiment UPDATED Pics

I heard from Don Troiani, he is in canada at the moment and cannot reference his notes but did request I send him up higher resolution pictures then these ( http://imgur.com/a/vDGUA/all ) and get them in the sunlight if possible.. Which I will do on Saturday when I see my sister who is a wedding photographer and has Digital SLR's with macro lenses..

I also heard from another source who is also an expert, and has seen the pictures and threads up here through "Don in SJ" and has said that the Button is "100% Legit" :hello2:

So that is the update for now! ... Thanks for your Intrest! .. :coffee2:

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Possible Revolutionary War Button, Pennsylvania State Foot Regiment UPDATED Pics

Briz06 said:
I heard from Don Troiani, he is in canada at the moment and cannot reference his notes but did request I send him up higher resolution pictures then these ( http://imgur.com/a/vDGUA/all ) and get them in the sunlight if possible.. Which I will do on Saturday when I see my sister who is a wedding photographer and has Digital SLR's with macro lenses..

I also heard from another source who is also an expert, and has seen the pictures and threads up here through "Don in SJ" and has said that the Button is "100% Legit" :hello2:

So that is the update for now! ... Thanks for your Intrest! .. :coffee2:

FANTASTIC FIND!!! Very rare and certainly the real deal!! CONGRATS!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It looks like the real deal, Don Troiani is the Man though. He bought a rare Revolutionary War plate that a friend and I found a couple years ago while we were digging (...he's also quite an accomplished painter). The Buck stops with him when it comes to Revolutionary War plates, buttons and relics. If he comes back and says its the Real Deal than you can take that to the Bank! Given the provenance and the location, there's a real good chance that you may have a Banner find sitting in front of you. Good luck and can't wait to hear back from Don. :icon_thumleft: :wink:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Revolutionary War Button, Pennsylvania State Foot Regiment UPDATED Pics

Hmmmmmmmn, please change your title and take away the word (Possible) :icon_thumright: Congrats on a great find, indeed a variant not in Don T's book and a piece of Rev War history found by you........... :hello2:

Don

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Revolutionary War Button, Pennsylvania State Foot Regiment UPDATED Pics

Don in SJ said:
Hmmmmmmmn, please change your title and take away the word (Possible) :icon_thumright: Congrats on a great find, indeed a variant not in Don T's book and a piece of Rev War history found by you........... :hello2:

Don

So, are we talking $8000-$10,000 button?

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Congrats on the Rev War button, new variety is AWESOME $$$$$$$$$$$$$ Also Banner all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bubba65 :icon_thumleft:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I can see the condition of this, I'm voting Banner. Extremely Rare & condition is as good as you can hope for, so I would class as a Specimen :headbang: Very hard to beat this one in the button world :thumbsup:

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sweet button! congrats man! :thumbsup:

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner find for sure... can't believe it's not up there yet... :headbang:

AlabamaRelic

Jul 2, 2009
NW Alabama
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Briz06 said:
*****UPDATE****

Hey guys,

As promised I've Taken some high-res pics of the button. You can find them at this link.. I will now be emailing Don T. to see what he has to say..
http://imgur.com/a/vDGUA/all
Thanks for your intrest and support..

BANNER!
Usually when i am out swinging and dirt fishing, its for clad. I like many of you love finding pre-1964 silver. Lately Ive been in a drought of that, and mostly come home averaging a few bucks in clad and alot of trash. While at work today I was discussing relics with one of my coworkers and told him that I don't ever throw my Garret in relic mode. He told me that I should, and he would love to see what I can come up with in my finds.. This afternoon I had absolutely no idea where I was going to go dirt fishing, I just hopped in the SUV and drove. I live in a fairly historic area, Valley Forge 3 miles away. I hopped onto Charlestown road and found myself in the hills above the Charlestown Playground.. At the bottom of the hill, Is a few old farms and an Old war cemetery. I stayed way clear of that, and stuck to the hills and flats.. Mostly what I found was old shotgun primers, lots of trash, cans etc.. However I did find some old nails, chain links, and a few old unmarked buttons.. Then I dug up this pewter P S R marked button. My online research tells me that it could be from the Pennsylvania State Regiment of Foot Which fought in the Battles of Brandywine, Germantown, Trenton, Valcour island, Brooklyn, and a few others..

This is what I've read so far..
http://twipa.blogspot.com/2011/07/happy-independence-day.html
http://www.reenactor.ru/ARH/PDF/Calver.pdf (pages 161 and 162) with Picture...

From the 2 specimens I've seen pictured, the one I found today looks in much better condition.

I was wondering if anyone out there can point to someplace to have this authenticated? I love history, But am not a historian by any stretch of the word. And would love to know if its rare or common to find such artifacts..

Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread