Confirmed New Var. Revolutionary War Button, Pennsylvania State Regiment UPDATED

Briz06

Jan 1, 2011
Phoenixville, PA
Detector(s) used
White's V3X, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
*****UPDATE****

Hey guys,

As promised I've Taken some high-res pics of the button. You can find them at this link.. I will now be emailing Don T. to see what he has to say..
http://imgur.com/a/vDGUA/all
Thanks for your intrest and support..

Usually when i am out swinging and dirt fishing, its for clad. I like many of you love finding pre-1964 silver. Lately Ive been in a drought of that, and mostly come home averaging a few bucks in clad and alot of trash. While at work today I was discussing relics with one of my coworkers and told him that I don't ever throw my Garret in relic mode. He told me that I should, and he would love to see what I can come up with in my finds.. This afternoon I had absolutely no idea where I was going to go dirt fishing, I just hopped in the SUV and drove. I live in a fairly historic area, Valley Forge 3 miles away. I hopped onto Charlestown road and found myself in the hills above the Charlestown Playground.. At the bottom of the hill, Is a few old farms and an Old war cemetery. I stayed way clear of that, and stuck to the hills and flats.. Mostly what I found was old shotgun primers, lots of trash, cans etc.. However I did find some old nails, chain links, and a few old unmarked buttons.. Then I dug up this pewter P S R marked button. My online research tells me that it could be from the Pennsylvania State Regiment of Foot Which fought in the Battles of Brandywine, Germantown, Trenton, Valcour island, Brooklyn, and a few others..

This is what I've read so far..
http://twipa.blogspot.com/2011/07/happy-independence-day.html
http://www.reenactor.ru/ARH/PDF/Calver.pdf (pages 161 and 162) with Picture...

From the 2 specimens I've seen pictured, the one I found today looks in much better condition.

I was wondering if anyone out there can point to someplace to have this authenticated? I love history, But am not a historian by any stretch of the word. And would love to know if its rare or common to find such artifacts..

Thanks

Attachments

• psr1.jpg
    psr1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 3,001
  • IMG_0920.JPG
    IMG_0920.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 2,921
  • IMG_0914.JPG
    IMG_0914.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 2,936
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Briz06 said:
I dont think the Number will be that high... I've never seen one of this button bought or sold in my research on the internet, most good or great condition yankee USA (the Ones that say USA on them) buttons sell for between $500 and $1,000 from what I've seen...

There's many variables. Yes the USA buttons generally sell for a few hundred to maybe a grand, but not always! There's no book values, and only about half a dozen serious players I can think of off the top of my head, and they all have different ideas of what something is worth. (worth to them) That being said, if the consensuses feels it's authentic I'm guessing it will be closer to $1,000 than $6,000, but it's important to talk to anyone who falls in the middle.

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/CONTINENTAL-ARMY-REVOLUTIONARY-WAR-OFFICERS-USA-BUTTON-/110662535417

OP
OP
B

Briz06

Jan 1, 2011
Phoenixville, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all for the Banner Votes and your Intrest!! :hello2: ;D

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
congrats on the amazing button!! I love hunting historical areas. I got my oldest large cent up your way. Congrats on making the banner!!

Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I watched a documentary about George Washington last night, so it makes your find even more amazing! If the button could only talk.
Way cool find!

Born Free

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a rare and AWESOME find! First of all, I wouldn't tell anyone where you found it. Second, IT'S NOBODY'S BUSINESS BUT YOURS. I'd love for someone to snoop around my house and ask where I found stuff, from the State or not, they would end up on my front lawn til the ambulance came. But that's just me! Don't believe me........let someone try! :laughing7: GOOD LUCK! THE HOGGE

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You usually can not shut me up ,,,, But am speechless ,,,,, Congrats !!!!! :headbang: :notworthy:

allan

Oct 7, 2008
Vega Baja
Congrats ! looks like Cru's campaign to remove finger from nose and vote worked ! now I can get back to my digging :icon_thumleft:

DiggerDave in Pa.

Jan 12, 2011
Huntingdon County Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
allan said:
Congrats ! looks like Cru's campaign to remove finger from nose and vote worked ! now I can get back to my digging :icon_thumleft:
Congrats on an awesome banner button. Operating in the relic mode looks like it payed off. Thanks for sharing! DD.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice button and since it is already up on the banner I will not vote for it... :wink:

This button is amazing...congrats. If you sell it please give us the ballpark of what you get. Very curious.

Someone brought up the USA buttons. I did see a USA button dug that had a date of 1778 under the USA which I heard after the dig that it is worth quite a bit. It was on a volunteer dig so it was turned over to the archaeologists.

NJ

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just noticed the latest pics. Talk about condition! I hope you are shooting those shots with a very soft landing spot below! One drop to a hard surface could easily be fatal for that. (fatal to the value anyway)

OP
OP
B

Briz06

Jan 1, 2011
Phoenixville, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dont worry Iron Patch.. I keep it nice and Safe ;D ...

I think one of my next goals/hopes/dreams... is to find one of those USA buttons... May take me awhile ;D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Briz06 said:
Dont worry Iron Patch.. I keep it nice and Safe ;D ...

I think one of my next goals/hopes/dreams... is to find one of those USA buttons... May take me awhile ;D

Reasonable chance of finding "a" USA button, but not like the one in the link. The USA is the most common Rev War button to be found in the US and your button is MUCH better. You're like a friend of mine who got out of the blocks with a belt plate before he even got a single early military button. I never really thought about it but I am also in that club with my first military button being a very rare Loyalist officer button. Gotta like breaking into the military stuff like that!

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Congratulations on a truly historic find! Now that you've found your first rare relic, realize there are more rare items waiting to be unearthed in your area. Some of my best finds (three of which are in the banner) have come from random fields and woods I've hunted in very old areas and along very old roads. If I was you, I would certainly forget clad and playgrounds and hunt all the open woods and fields in your area (I envy you being in Pennsylvania, since Long Island is pretty built up). Cause nobody knows for sure who or what was on a random piece of land 200 or 250 years ago. All it takes is patience and determination. Again, congrats on finding a fantastic piece of American history, that any early coin or relic hunter would love to find.

fieldslayer

Jun 13, 2010
relocated south jersey veteran finder
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
........Good advice Bookfisher ; especially with a button that rare! I've only personally seen only 2 others (about 30 years ago when Rev button info was much to be desired still). They were found by 2 fellows who LIVED to hunt Brandywine battlefield. They were always finding bags of musketballs and predictably not much else substancial , being fought largely on the run. In fact, I think they were the only true regimentals they had found to that point. However , super congrats on yours ! I do recall chipped edges on the Brandywine examples, where it appears yours is in fine condition. GO FIND SOMEMORE !!! .....ya just never know in this hobby , do ya? - Continued Good Hunting !

cole1

Apr 27, 2007
South Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
dfx
Just wondering if Don Troiani had ever authenticated your button? I took my button to him a few years ago and he was gracious enough to photograph it for me as well. He's a super nice guy and this button is suppose to be in his new book

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In terms of condition and rarity, I am still surprised that this find did not end up on the banner.

-Buckles

vonrall

Apr 17, 2009
I would like to point out that in my opinion this button is a 100% reproduction, probably lost off a reenactor's coat. Bob McDonald looked at it in person (I only saw photos) and agrees with me. He also says he has a reproduction he bought that matches this in every detail. I just want to make it clear for all that I (Don Troiani) and Bob McDonald are completely confident this is NOT an original button of the American Revolution.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's good enough for me!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread