Confirmed New Var. Revolutionary War Button, Pennsylvania State Regiment UPDATED

Briz06

Jan 1, 2011
Phoenixville, PA
Detector(s) used
White's V3X, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
*****UPDATE****

Hey guys,

As promised I've Taken some high-res pics of the button. You can find them at this link.. I will now be emailing Don T. to see what he has to say..
http://imgur.com/a/vDGUA/all
Thanks for your intrest and support..

Usually when i am out swinging and dirt fishing, its for clad. I like many of you love finding pre-1964 silver. Lately Ive been in a drought of that, and mostly come home averaging a few bucks in clad and alot of trash. While at work today I was discussing relics with one of my coworkers and told him that I don't ever throw my Garret in relic mode. He told me that I should, and he would love to see what I can come up with in my finds.. This afternoon I had absolutely no idea where I was going to go dirt fishing, I just hopped in the SUV and drove. I live in a fairly historic area, Valley Forge 3 miles away. I hopped onto Charlestown road and found myself in the hills above the Charlestown Playground.. At the bottom of the hill, Is a few old farms and an Old war cemetery. I stayed way clear of that, and stuck to the hills and flats.. Mostly what I found was old shotgun primers, lots of trash, cans etc.. However I did find some old nails, chain links, and a few old unmarked buttons.. Then I dug up this pewter P S R marked button. My online research tells me that it could be from the Pennsylvania State Regiment of Foot Which fought in the Battles of Brandywine, Germantown, Trenton, Valcour island, Brooklyn, and a few others..

This is what I've read so far..
http://twipa.blogspot.com/2011/07/happy-independence-day.html
http://www.reenactor.ru/ARH/PDF/Calver.pdf (pages 161 and 162) with Picture...

From the 2 specimens I've seen pictured, the one I found today looks in much better condition.

I was wondering if anyone out there can point to someplace to have this authenticated? I love history, But am not a historian by any stretch of the word. And would love to know if its rare or common to find such artifacts..

Thanks

Attachments

• psr1.jpg
    psr1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 3,001
  • IMG_0920.JPG
    IMG_0920.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 2,921
  • IMG_0914.JPG
    IMG_0914.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 2,936
Upvote 0

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Definitely a banner find!

I went detecting in that area a few times a while back and did find parts of a Black Bess rifle, but most of my other finds were modern. Congrats on the find!

WTG!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have no buttons on the banner right now :-X

come-on people get your voting fingers out of your noses :laughing9:

OP
OP
B

Briz06

Jan 1, 2011
Phoenixville, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DeepDiger, thats the same blog I pulled up on my iphone when I was on the hunt right after I dug it up.. :read2: thats when I knew I maybe on to something here...

I have higher-resolution out to some other button experts and am awaiting further opinion from them. I was scheduled for today to meet with Bob McDonald who is one of the largest collectors of Revolutionary and civil war relics for him to see the button in person, but we have pushed that meeting aside til next weekend. It is his opinion that it is authentic and we have spent several hours on the phone regarding it.. I was referred to him by Don in SJ..

Hopefully this weather clears up so I can go hunt an 1830's farm in Bucks county today.. :(

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
I am so CONFUSED :dontknow: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: if this isn't a BANNER find then I don't know what is ??? ??? ??? ???

Bubba65

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Put your fingers on that button and push BANNER....Yikes thats a nice one. Congrats. jgas

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
That is awesome!! I vote BANNER!!

OP
OP
B

Briz06

Jan 1, 2011
Phoenixville, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Umrgolf... Don T. has not confirmed it... Bob McDonald has, who is a long time friend of Don and lent out some of his collection for Don's Book believes it is 100% and is intrested in it as a possible aquisition to his collection... Bob and I are getting together next weekend so he can see it in person... He Publishes
http://www.revwar75.com/
Im also waiting an evaulation from Warren Tice, who Don in SJ put in me in contact with...

Bunker

Apr 6, 2010
St. Pete, Fl
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / Etrac / T2se / Blisstool V5
Pistol Probe / Pro Pointer / VibraProbe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible!!! I voted BANNER
Congrats,
Bunker

U

umrgolf

Briz06 said:
Umrgolf... Don T. has not confirmed it... Bob McDonald has, who is a long time friend of Don and lent out some of his collection for Don's Book believes it is 100% and is intrested in it as a possible aquisition to his collection... Bob and I are getting together next weekend so he can see it in person... He Publishes
http://www.revwar75.com/
Im also waiting an evaulation from Warren Tice, who Don in SJ put in me in contact with...

I see, sorry I didn't have time to read the whole thread.. I noticed your title was "confirmed" now and just assumed.. glad the community was eager to help

OP
OP
B

Briz06

Jan 1, 2011
Phoenixville, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No Prob Umrgolf :coffee2: ... Im trying to get multiple sources confirm or deny its authenticity... Im finding with these sort of relics there is not alot of documentation..and only about a handful of people in the world can determine whats real and whats not.. very different from Civil War Relics, Coins, Diamonds, etc... Im also thinking of taking it over to Valley Forge, and seeing what their curator has to say about it... Ive been in contact with Don in SJ alot about it...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Briz06 said:
No Prob Umrgolf :coffee2: ... Im trying to get multiple sources confirm or deny its authenticity... Im finding with these sort of relics there is not alot of documentation..and only about a handful of people in the world can determine whats real and whats not.. very different from Civil War Relics, Coins, Diamonds, etc... Im also thinking of taking it over to Valley Forge, and seeing what their curator has to say about it... Ive been in contact with Don in SJ alot about it...

I think by now its a no brainer, modern repros are easy to spot.

Ted Mac

Sep 11, 2006
Sylvania, OH
Detector(s) used
Compass/Coinscanner Pro, Teknetics Mk 1
Well its now time to hire an attorney. I dont know who's property you found it on but when you start talking about 8k, 10k or higher as far as auction value. People are going to start crawling out from under the woodwork. Good luck and hopefully congrats.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
congrats on the find * watch out for the "grabbers" --( land owning folks that will claim you were on their land when you made "your" find --thus its "their property' found by you , while you were tresspassing on their land *)-- thats why you either make darn sure you got the land owners ok --or say nothing about the "area / location" of the find. :wink: :icon_thumleft: say if its was "along side the road right of way --the state might try to lay claim to it being it was in / on state property .

the state and property owners get really "grabby" when something is historically important or rare & valuible. =--so long as your find junk metal garbage and zinc cents --no one cares , start finding silver , gold or valuible historical relics --then they "care" deeply. $$$$$

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ted Mac said:
Well its now time to hire an attorney. I dont know who's property you found it on but when you start talking about 8k, 10k or higher as far as auction value. People are going to start crawling out from under the woodwork. Good luck and hopefully congrats.

Don't quote my question, it was plucked out of the air & might have been true a few years ago in the 'heady' days. Its probably in the low thousands, but thats for the buyer to decide :wink: (or maybe its right) :dontknow:

OP
OP
B

Briz06

Jan 1, 2011
Phoenixville, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dont think the Number will be that high... I've never seen one of this button bought or sold in my research on the internet, most good or great condition yankee USA (the Ones that say USA on them) buttons sell for between $500 and $1,000 from what I've seen...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread