10 Silver, 69 Wheats, New Hunt Video!! "UPDATE: Video 2 Just Added"

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
10 Silver, 69 Wheats, New Hunt Video!! "UPDATE: Video 2 Just Added"

Hello Fellow Tnetters,

From following this weekend's posts, it sure looks like many of you are making some great finds out there. Hope everyone who's been couped up in their homes for the past few months due to weather can get out there and enjoy this great hobby!! Last week here in S. CA was very beautiful. It was in the 70's, with partly cloudy skies. On Tuesday, I went out on a group hunt with a couple of my weekly hunting buds. My buddy, Jon(goldenapples) brought his video camera and captured quite a bit of film from many of our digs that day. It was a good day for all. I ended up with 3 silver (though not as old as I was hoping for), along with 12 wheats. All were captured on film. I ended the week with 10 silvers (9 dimes, including a '16S merc and 1 sterling religious pendant), along with 69 wheaties (teens through 50's).

The film is a compilation of some of our digs. I want to thank Jon for taking the time to film and edit this compilation. I know it took hours to edit and upload all the clips. He did a great job!!! :thumbsup: He said all the clips were too long to fit on one video, so when I get a couple other individual clips from him, I will post them here for all to view. This vid is about 17 minutes long, so sit back when you have time and enjoy the film. Also, for you SE :newbie:'s, the film will provide you with a better understanding of the way deep coins sound and what to listen for when you're out there hunting in the turf. It also shows that some of those deep coins that sound like silver don't always turn out to be silver :icon_scratch:, but you gotta dig them.

Thanks for reading and watching the film!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Here's some 8-9"+ signals....

Attachments

• IMG_2525.JPG
    IMG_2525.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,139
Upvote 0

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Re: 10 Silver, 69 Wheats, New Hunt Video!! "UPDATE: Video 2 Just Added"

Enjoyed the vids men!! Thanks!
You had me smiling for sure. Nice weather out there!
Nice finds too, congrats!

Smiles!
BDoo

BIGHEAD

Jan 5, 2008
Pensacola,Fla
Detector(s) used
,MXT 300, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

cool video!!! nice silver,keep-em coming!!

Turtleman

Feb 8, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Minelab Explorer II

Dan and the Gang,
This was a great video. Hearing the birds in the background and having the park mostly to yourselves made me long for hitting the turf. I'll be out digging plugs once finals are over this week.
As always, great job and very instructuve.
Turtleman

S

Scots Gaelic

Absolutely great! I have hunted So. Cal (O.C.) for for almost 2 years and no found much silver! Best was Foreign cooins of 1940's & Long Beach Fairy tokens (slightly smaller than a dime).

So what park was that?

S

Scots Gaelic

Sorry for all of that misspelling, it went thru the spell check - maybe they should check/refine it?. (this one is double checked on excel).

taropatch

Dec 24, 2007

Thank you for sharing those videos. You have to be in shape to dig those holes, cutting sideways. Now I can see why you are so selective on your targets.

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Dan, you never cease to amaze me with that SE. I know that many newbies on this site will put these vids in that backs of their melons for a long time.

I still see another 600 wilver year from you, man!

Keep the fever high, and keep the vids coming!

Kyle

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: 10 Silver, 69 Wheats, New Hunt Video!!

Captn_SE said:
Thanks, Nat , Bav_Mike, and Extractor!!

Charlie, I've never had that much succes with the Explorers digging 3" round plugs down to 9". It's difficult to further dig within a 3" radius down to 9". My lesche blade is practically 3" across. This park had lots of trash in the ground, along with medium to large size rocks, and lots of tree roots. Sometimes, you have to make the hole a little bigger just to remove a large rock sticking sideways, or to get around a tree root. Smaller plugs are not necessarily better. I've seen smaller plugs die while the larger ones showed no signs of browning....at least that was my observation. If I keep a larger area of roots intact, those roots will be damaged less.

Good points. :icon_salut: I like my Lesche around roots but for open areas I use a "guardless" wide-nosed digger that stabs 7" and can tip a 3" X 3" plug (infinate length on the far side) and then pull a loaf of soil out of that hole. Not sure why they felt the need to put such a guard on the Lesche. Blast shield for mines?

Here's an 8" deep hole. And the same spot after the plug is tipped back in and the grass "fluffed" to sink the surface remains. To go deeper I just have to make the plug longer so the handle goes in. Works out well with my DoubleD coil as I'm usually better at pinpointing side-to-side than lengthways. I've actually had groundskeepers stand and watch and inspect my site afterwards.

And I did cut a square of rubber out of a tractor tire innertube after seeing the one in the video. Great idea. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• trans Miss Digger 2.jpg
    trans Miss Digger 2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 282
  • Trans Miss Digger 3.jpg
    Trans Miss Digger 3.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 272
  • trans Miss Digger 2.jpg
    trans Miss Digger 2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 274
  • Trans Miss Digger 3.jpg
    Trans Miss Digger 3.jpg