10 Silver!! 8 Silver in 2 hrs today ~ 1903 Injun ~ 27 Wheats!!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hello My Friends!

I'm starting to see more of my Tnet buds starting to get out there and swing their coils for the first time in a while. The weather must be making a change for the better for some of you. That's good news! :thumbsup:

Today was one of those days that didn't start out very well, but finished with a bang!! I decided to take a drive to a park that I had only found 3 silver at last year, and 8 silver back in '07. I figured if I could get a couple of silver coins and some wheats, that I'd be coming home happy. This park has been pounded by detector clubs all the way back to the mid 80's. For an hour and a half, all I had was some clad, and was then just hoping to find a couple oldies. I started to walk back down a slope to my car when I got a 4" silver signal. Sure enough, at 4" was a Mercury dime. Yes!! I started to then detect around this area, and to my surprise I ended up finding 3 more Mercs, the deepest being 5". I hadn't even found a wheatie yet. :P After I picked the area clean, I decided to go to walk over to the other side of the hill where I had found 3 silver dimes last year. Finally, I got a wheatie, but just a few minutes later, another Mercury dime. Wow!! 5 Mercs and just 1 wheat. Gotta love that ratio! ::) Well, the wheaties were finally starting to catch up to the silver when I dug 4 in a row. My next two digs were silver Rosies!! I couldn't believe it. I had 7 silver and only 5 wheats. About 10 minutes later, I got a deeper signal next to a shallow trash target, and at about 7", I dug up a 1917 Merc. :D It was surreal!! :o After that, I ended up digging 6 wheaties in a row, and that was it for my day! For the last 2 hrs of my hunt today, I ended up with 8 silver dimes (6 Mercs, 2 Rosies), and 11 wheats! I believe the combination of detecting this park for the first time with my Pro Coil and the saturated ground led to my success today. It was a lot of fun, and none of the silver in this park are corroded. They had some black marks that were easily removable with a little baking soda paste. The other 2 silver (1 Merc, 1 Rosie), along with a 1903 Injun, an old 3 ring bullet(buffalo killer), and 17 wheats were found a couple days ago while hunting a Barrio park with my hunting buddy, Mike(oknorom).

Thanks for looking!
Keep The Passion High!

CAPTN SE
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_3353_sm.jpg
    IMG_3353_sm.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 1,379
  • IMG_3361_sm.jpg
    IMG_3361_sm.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 1,376
  • Injun_021009.jpg
    Injun_021009.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,370
  • IMG_3356_sm.jpg
    IMG_3356_sm.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 1,363
Upvote 0

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan,
I was wondering, what's your process for cleaning your coins? They always come out so nice.
I think you are right about the rain. I'm hittin those parks this weekend in between the storms.
Haven't had much luck with my SE, but I know the settings are the issue (and recognizing what a deep signal sounds like).
On average how deep were those signals?

PJ in WI

Mar 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
EXPLORER SE and an ACE 250
Captn. Keep that up and you'll have yourself a new record. Congrats. PJ

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
Just a great day you had. Those old reel type mowers cliped alot of coins. Are they still using them in your area?
Marty

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Captn. Dan , I just got through replying to Camb 1 , about his having found 5 mercs today ,

( I hadn't seen your post yet ), and I told him - " man I haven't seen this many mercs in one hunt,

since Captn. SE's last hunt " Then I see your post - 6 mercs - I just had to laugh ! Argentium.

doublet2a

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2007
Lindsay, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite 5", 8" & 10" coils. EXP II 8" & 10" coils with inline Sunray pin pointer. AT Pro 8" & 10" Coils, Equinox 600 10" and 5" coils.
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
I come to this forum, and still more BLAH BLAH BLAH

1.gif
1.gif
1.gif

5.gif
5.gif
5.gif

10.gif
10.gif
10.gif
10.gif
10.gif

9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Tim

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
seger98 said:
ok, I'm done writting up a big thing everytime you post, I'm just going to start just saying wow! so here it is!

WOW

Thanks, Seger98. That's all you need to say...Say no more!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jeep said:
Great finds :thumbsup:

Thanks, Jeep! :thumbsup:

DD-777 said:
Looks like your off to a silver-killer year...

...again ;D

Great digs Cap'n... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot, DD-777! Good luck to you ! :thumbsup:

those are nice! puts a whole new meaning the term "barber"

Thanks, Piercesdad!! Yeah, I always get the cut coins...lots of lawn mowing in S. CA.

Dan... we are not worth to carry your detector to and fro the car for you :-)

Awesome job!

Hey... how do you get your silvers cleaned up that nice?

I always enjoy your posts :-)

Paul

Thanks, Paul. Just a little baking soda/water paste will do wonders for the silver.

t-bucket said:
WTG Dan!!!! Congrats on the silver and the coppers !!!! Its nice to see some silver,The weather is starting to break a little and warming up some . I hope to get out this weekend !!!!! Good luck on your next hunt !!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks, Gary! I wish you the best of luck on your first hunt this year! :thumbsup:

jgas said:
Well Dan, I was lucky enough to get out and I located a clad penny in the parking lot of a gas station. It just stared at me and said "Pick me up and take me home." In fact I had no detector with me, I was just getting a cup of coffee. LOL....You are killing me with all that silver and wheatie action. Nice job again Buddy. keep that streak going straight in to spring and summer! Congrats :thumbsup: jgas

Thanks, jgas! I can't wait to see you get out there with your machine and find some good stuff!! :thumbsup:

Congrats! That is a great day of hunting!

Sure do love how that silver cleans up with a little baking soda!!! Those Merc's are one of my favorite finds!

Thanks, Beetle! Appreciate it! :thumbsup:

halfdime said:
So, you're at it again, eh? We easterners have a hard time standing you right now ;D.

Yep, Henry, I'm at it again! :-* ;D ;D

Dan is the "MAN"!! Sweet finds and I see you're still adding to that silver collection, maybe even trying to corner the silver market??? Nice finds!!

Thanks, Jack! I'm always trying to corner that silver market! ;D ;D I saw your post the other day, and just remembered I was going to reply, but forgot. I will in a little while.

nice finds Se!

Thanks, Sage!! Keep the great finds coming, man!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Detectingfreak said:
very nice job on all the silver coins and the indian! :) You are always kicking butt everytime you go out! :)

Thanks, DF. Today was very surprising for me. Didn't expect to do so well, but I will definitely take it!! :thumbsup:

kdismuke1 said:
is mr. hunt in your family. between you and mr. hunt you should have the silver :thumbsup: control now.

Thanks, kdismuke1. No "Hunt's" in my family, but I do like silver just the same!! ;D ;D

Rock on Captn_SE... Sure do look forward to your posts...

HH Robert

Thanks, Robert! Glad you like them!! Good luck to you! :thumbsup:

RONC(OR) said:
WTG Dan nice finds congrats :thumbsup:

Thanks, Ron! Hope you're not getting too wet up there. We're going to get our drenching starting tomorrow.

sodiumrye said:
Sweet silver WTG :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :wav:

Thanks, sodiumrye!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Man, those are some nice coins. I just purchased a SE Pro, and I am looking forward to getting it out and see if I can find some of those nice un's.

Thanks, Crevias! Good luck with your new SE Pro. It's an awesome machine....learn it well, and it will reward you! :thumbsup:

ModernMiner said:
Dan,
If you spend as much time polishing your rims as you do your coins, you'll blind people going down the road. :tongue3: ;D
You are the master at silver cleaning (and finding) big guy.
A super post. Congrats on the IH too. :icon_king:
-Doug-

Thanks, Doug! I've never even polished my rims! ;D ;D I enjoy polishing silver much more!!

I really like your new Avatar. Beautiful Button!! ::) Seems like you've been changing Avatars once every week!! :tongue3: :tongue3:

gold nuggets said:
VERY nice hunt Dan....WTG!! :thumbsup:
You never cease to amaze me with the silver and wheats that
you are able to pull out of the ground from "hunted out" parks
and barrios. Congratulations on the IH also. You are well on your
way to another successful silver season in 2009. Gold Nuggets :icon_jokercolor:

Thanks, Richard. So far so good!! Good luck to you, buddy!! Stay dry up there. ;D

Kent in AL said:
It would be hard for me to sleep after finding all that. I would be dreaming of Mercs. :icon_sunny:

Congrats!

Kent

Thanks, Kent! It's easy for me to sleep....I usually double my finds in my dreams!! ;D ;D ;D :tongue3:

Dan,
I was wondering, what's your process for cleaning your coins? They always come out so nice.
I think you are right about the rain. I'm hittin those parks this weekend in between the storms.
Haven't had much luck with my SE, but I know the settings are the issue (and recognizing what a deep signal sounds like).
On average how deep were those signals?

Hey, coinshooter, I have different processes for cleaning silver coins. It depends on how bad/oxidized they are. Most of the time I just use a simple baking soda and water mixture. I gently rub my coin with this paste between my index fingers and thumbs. That's it. My silver coin signals today were much shallower than what I'm used to. Only around 4-5" today. Usually, I'm in the 7-9+" range with the old coinage.

Captn. Keep that up and you'll have yourself a new record. Congrats. PJ

Thanks, PJ. I'm not going for any records this year. I'm just happy to keep finding old coins in heavily hunted parks.

Just a great day you had. Those old reel type mowers cliped alot of coins. Are they still using them in your area?
Marty

Thanks, Marty!! Yep, still using them here!! They're in all the parks in LA county. :'(

Hey Captn. Dan , I just got through replying to Camb 1 , about his having found 5 mercs today ,

( I hadn't seen your post yet ), and I told him - " man I haven't seen this many mercs in one hunt,

since Captn. SE's last hunt " Then I see your post - 6 mercs - I just had to laugh ! Argentium.

That's funny, Argentium. ;D ;D

doublet2a said:
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
I come to this forum, and still more BLAH BLAH BLAH

1.gif
1.gif
1.gif

5.gif
5.gif
5.gif

10.gif
10.gif
10.gif
10.gif
10.gif

9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Tim

No, No, No, it's you!!! :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :violent1: :cussing: :tongue1: :bom: :tongue7:

Dang, Timmy, there's no place to hide from you, is there? ;D ;D :occasion14:

Take it easy on me here, would ya? :3some:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
MT said:

Hey, Tom, you must have one eye here on Tnet and one eye on Kinzli! :laughing7: :tongue7:

It's my Cali Kinzli buddies! :3some:

HH,
CAPTN

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Nice, Dan!!! So Cal ain't dried up yet. So, how many silver does that make this year already?

Ray

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Ray in WA said:
Nice, Dan!!! So Cal ain't dried up yet. So, how many silver does that make this year already?

Ray

Hello, Ray! Nope, it's not dried up yet. I'm still hunting my so-called worked out parks. Haven't even tried any other un'Explorer'ed parks yet.

I'm 2 shy of 50 for the year so far. I have surprised myself this year.....didn't expect to get off to such a great start!

Let me know how you're doing with your Safari. Good luck!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
48 silver coins??? Man, I'd better get to work with that Safari once it comes in soI can catch up to ya. ;D

My Safari was shipped out yesterday, but I'm unsure if it went out Priority or First Class, so I could get it by Saturday or the latest by mid next week. Of course, I wanted it yesterday. :P I feel like a kid lying in bed on Christmas Eve, hehe.

But I did get my .357 magnum in yesterday. I just might have to take it to the range tomorrow. :wink:

Ray

Attachments

• taurus357_1.jpg
    taurus357_1.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 944

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
OH YEAH ~ THE DAN MAN always delivers the goods! NICE FINDS THERE!!! Very impressive as usual!

8^)

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow bud!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That silver cleaned up well. WTG :thumbsup:

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...and to think you were about to leave before all that happened with just clad! lol That sounded like a blast, congrats on another sweet day.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8 in 2 hours - wow, setting the pace now. Nice job :thumbsup:

Monty