10 Silver!! 8 Silver in 2 hrs today ~ 1903 Injun ~ 27 Wheats!!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hello My Friends!

I'm starting to see more of my Tnet buds starting to get out there and swing their coils for the first time in a while. The weather must be making a change for the better for some of you. That's good news! :thumbsup:

Today was one of those days that didn't start out very well, but finished with a bang!! I decided to take a drive to a park that I had only found 3 silver at last year, and 8 silver back in '07. I figured if I could get a couple of silver coins and some wheats, that I'd be coming home happy. This park has been pounded by detector clubs all the way back to the mid 80's. For an hour and a half, all I had was some clad, and was then just hoping to find a couple oldies. I started to walk back down a slope to my car when I got a 4" silver signal. Sure enough, at 4" was a Mercury dime. Yes!! I started to then detect around this area, and to my surprise I ended up finding 3 more Mercs, the deepest being 5". I hadn't even found a wheatie yet. :P After I picked the area clean, I decided to go to walk over to the other side of the hill where I had found 3 silver dimes last year. Finally, I got a wheatie, but just a few minutes later, another Mercury dime. Wow!! 5 Mercs and just 1 wheat. Gotta love that ratio! ::) Well, the wheaties were finally starting to catch up to the silver when I dug 4 in a row. My next two digs were silver Rosies!! I couldn't believe it. I had 7 silver and only 5 wheats. About 10 minutes later, I got a deeper signal next to a shallow trash target, and at about 7", I dug up a 1917 Merc. :D It was surreal!! :o After that, I ended up digging 6 wheaties in a row, and that was it for my day! For the last 2 hrs of my hunt today, I ended up with 8 silver dimes (6 Mercs, 2 Rosies), and 11 wheats! I believe the combination of detecting this park for the first time with my Pro Coil and the saturated ground led to my success today. It was a lot of fun, and none of the silver in this park are corroded. They had some black marks that were easily removable with a little baking soda paste. The other 2 silver (1 Merc, 1 Rosie), along with a 1903 Injun, an old 3 ring bullet(buffalo killer), and 17 wheats were found a couple days ago while hunting a Barrio park with my hunting buddy, Mike(oknorom).

Thanks for looking!
Keep The Passion High!

CAPTN SE
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_3353_sm.jpg
    IMG_3353_sm.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 1,379
  • IMG_3361_sm.jpg
    IMG_3361_sm.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 1,376
  • Injun_021009.jpg
    Injun_021009.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,370
  • IMG_3356_sm.jpg
    IMG_3356_sm.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 1,363
Upvote 0

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Dan, as I've said before, you are one of my Minelab heros!!!!!! Always an inspiration, and willing to share tips and suggestions. My silver count is steadily increasing because of you and several others here on T-net.

Jim

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan.....now that's a super hunt from a beat up spot my friend :thumbsup:
I don't think it will be long before I can swing the coil here too. Maybe not on a regular basis for some time...but hopefully I can start to sneak a few hunts in.
This was a really inspiring post buddy....and I am looking forward to warmer weather. :icon_sunny:

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Captn_SE,
I WAS going to ask how you cleaned your silver..............But then I read (were easily removable with a little baking soda paste)...........Thats how I clean my silver as well...........Was suggested to me by a local Coin dealer,,,and to clean my wheaties like that as well.............Altho now I clean most of my wheats with the (Pool shcking)[27% Hydrogen Peroxide]..............Silver always comes out looking fine with a little Baking Soda + water rub................
Nice Digs

acehunter

Feb 2, 2009
california
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250, gold scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is outstanding. Man, those dimes clean up nice. Baking soda paste, i'll try that if I ever find a silver coin. Someday!!!!!!!!!!!!

Golden1

Bronze Member
May 2, 2008
Pittsfield ma
Detector(s) used
Whites PRIZM IV,Whites M-6
I always put on my sunglasses when i read your post Dan, so that don't fry my eyes looking at all that shiny silver :sunny:

LOL Congrats G1

Attachments

• monkey.jpg
    monkey.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 491

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice indeed :thumbsup:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man that is some great finds. Plus that is some fast digging in two hours. Don;t you just love those days...Matt

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
Very nice silver! Looks like a relaxing, enjoyable day out! HH

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Catching up on some of the old topics while I was gone for 7 weeks. Darn, Dan. Your tearing up SoCal. :o And as usuall, cut up coins. Lawn mowers do that??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread