1270 facts

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coil may be waterproof, but to be on the save side, put some silicone sealer around the coil wire where it goes in the coil.

The box is not waterproof so if out in the rain, cover it but don't close up the bag. It has to stay dry inside too.

How far can you go out depends on the waves, the box has to stay dry. After having the detector in the water, DON'T raise the coil higher than the box or water in the shaft will flow down into the box and fry the sucker just as well as dropping it in the water or stepping it a small hole and losing your balance.

OP
OP
R

rustyfind

Oct 18, 2007
Thanks Sandman. Lotsa good info. I like not forgetting to lift the coil above the box. It's the little things that are important. The more time I put in the better I like this machine.

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
Sandman there is a product out that is far better than silicone for waterproofing and sealing. It is commonly used on metal roofing products, including gutters, and is the best sealer/waterproofer on the planet, and it is TOUGH! It's called "FlexableSeal" and can be found in a (few) building materials outlets, but mostly roofing supply outlets. After 12 years of putting some on the exterior of my old dodge PU windshield it never did leak, is still flexable, and it bonds to any surface made, to include putting it on when things are still wet from a hard rain. It is EXTREMELY STICKY too! A real mess if you get it into your hair. When it dries though, it isn't sticky any more.

I was a Registered Bulding Contractor in two states simultaneously for 30 years and have worked on more than 3000 roofing jobs as a pro, plus a lot of other building and construction jobs. Roughly 1000 of my roofing jobs were metal roofs. Beieve me, this product WORKS, and is still flexable years later, where silicone usually is not. Silicone hardens after awhile. FlexableSEAL does not shrink either, silicone and silicone II does.

It may be hard to find, but metal roofing suppliers carry it, unless they just don't know better not to. It will not hurt the detector or the connections at all. It bonds with rubber, plastic, glass, metal, tar, skin, hair, wood, polyurethane, rubber, concrete, clothing, anything. Cost: About $5.00

Just thought I'd let you know.

EasyMoney

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread