Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Minelab Customer Service

MT Pockets said:
Am I going to have to Buy "Yet" another Excal... this way I have a backup to a Backup machine...

Since one of mine is STILL sitting on the Bench.....

That Means, I only have my Excal II......

What Happens if something goes wrong with it while I'm waiting a Few MORE months

for mine to be repaired... :dontknow:
Man Dennis, I may have mine back by Christmas then???
Maybe you should buy a Whites PI for your "backup for my backup"?

I dont care what "transition" they are going through... They are a huge corporation now, I think they can afford a bunch more techs... I feel for ya buddy..

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MT Pockets said:
My machine has Taken a Journey over to the New Facility in Illinos. ???.. :icon_scratch: :help:

All Excal's will be serviced there now...

Ohh Boy.... ::)

Hopefully it's not there for Several More months.

I think it may be time to talk with Upper Mgmnt..
Well if yours made the "move" up there, then so did mine... I even called them and asked if I should send it to Chicago since they were moving there... They told me no, even though it was only days until they "officially" opened operations there.. What a waste of time, seeing as it probably just sat in Las Vegas, waiting to be shipped to Illinois, to again sit while they play catchup.... :-(

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well I finally received my new coil for my e-trac for the one I sent in after over 2 months of waiting but in the meantime I bought another one so now I have two one for a back-up, :hello: oop's I may need it.
Also a big thank you to Mike for calling in for me a few weeks back. Thanks, Mike

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sure Dennis, send it in... LOL... You will at least have one Excal to use for the next 3 to 4 months.... He he....

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What is the difference between the Aquasound and the PI Dual?
I am posting in the Whites section about my major complaint with the PI Dual, and it isnt that it picks up every shard of rusted iron around... I am learning to distinguish that stuff from good stuff..
My complaint is the damn instability of the threshold in salt water.. Loud as hell with every incoming wave, then silent with every back wave.. Loud-quiet-loud-quiet-repeat...
I even tried turning down the gain, doesnt matter... Out of the surf, or even in a foot or less it stays stable.. But in surf, it drives me crazy..
I thought maybe it was my machine, but Snooksion chuckled and said his does the same thing..
I am hoping that someone with a Dual will enlighten me on how to smooth it out..

Just to add..... I emailed ML about the "status" of my machine repairs and received a "sharp" response from the Repair manager... "It is on the bench and will be repaired in the order in which we received it"... So much for some kind of timeline, like "we should be able to get to it in a few more days" or "hoping to have her fixed up by end of next week", etc....
Made me feel like an ass for even asking...

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

MT Pockets said:
Well, I'll be selling off one of em... and possibly buying an "Aquasound"

with all the money it costs shipping it back and fourth to Minelab.. It's worth it to me to just spent the Xtra $$$ and not have the same issues anymore..

or Dig Bottle caps anymore either..

I spoke with a couple this week that each have an Aquasound.. and have had them for 5yrs... without issue.....

I've spoke with others last year and they Bitched about the cost of repairing them...

Were trying to get some more information... Then it's GoodBye to the Romance with the Excals..
I think a lot are not haveing the romance with Minelab they once had......... And i can understand why . If you pay shipping cost back and forth to many times you could have put that to another detector. And when you have to keep sending your detector in for repairs over and over that will get you PO at them and look for a different brand also........

Attachments

• 437607350v_225x225_Front_padToSquare-true.png
    437607350v_225x225_Front_padToSquare-true.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 875
  • 437607350v_225x225_Front_padToSquare-true.png
    437607350v_225x225_Front_padToSquare-true.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 871

gambler13

May 27, 2010
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Xterra 705

Earlier today, I sent an email to minelab again complaining to "someone who might care about customers". Told them I got no call back or return emails about my inquiries and was even connected to a manager once and the manager didn't know anything about the machine. To my surprise, 20 min. later I received a phone call from someone in Illinois at Minelab. He wanted to know who the manager I talked to was and told me they are working hard to improve their customer service and the appropriate rep will call me tomorrow about my problem. Will let you know.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am dumbfounded as to why a complete overhaul only lasted 6 months... I know (well, kind of) that you take care of your stuff... I suppose they didnt bother sending along an analysis of what went wrong, and why?
That would be nice... Like overheating (trucks and cars can get nasty hot), salt intrusion, etc...

gambler13

May 27, 2010
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Xterra 705

True to his word I rec'd a follow-up call from a minelab tech answering my questions. Of one he wasn't sure about and said he'll investigate it and call me back tomorrow. Glad to see they are working on improving customer service.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

MT Pockets said:
Well, My machine came back Yesterday... it's been 3 months...

Minelab had
Replaced the PCB Board... for the 3 rd time....

replaced ALL Seals, ALL Cables, including the HP and Battery Cables,

Ikelite connectors, Endcaps Both sides..

THE Innards to my Headphones too...... BUT LACKED to REPLACE the Headphone housing............."EarMuffs"

you know.... where it's stripped.... and Fixed with Hot Glue.. I mean.. Why replace the Innards, and the Headphone cable... and Not the "Housing" as Requested...

There was No charge to do all of the repairs....

Since Last time it was sent in 6 mts ago... and everything was replaced then too...

Including the Battery, and the Coil, and All Knobs,, and POTs....

Yes, It was Under the Last portion of my ESP 4 yr Warranty...

Being that The Excal "Headphones" TOTALLY SuK....

I'll be Modding them... instead of RESENDING it Back to them Once again.....

To fix it Properly !!!! as stated in the Problem sheet.. that was sent in with the Faulty Machine..
Wow. I'm sorry to hear this my friend.
You know if you need me to, I will try to help you in any way I can.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was impressed that when I asked for a repair update (approximate, like it is next in line, three others ahead of yours, etc...) I got a reply from the Service manager that basically stated "we'll get to it when we get to it" and told me what I already know.. That they received it on the 23rd of July and that service turnaround is 30 days.... Really? Tell that to MTpockets... I guess they use a different calendar than we do, because thats 90 days to me, not 30...
Now if they need to special order a part, then a longer time can be understood... But they should be able to tell you that they are waiting for a part, or something besides "we will repair it in the order which it was received"...

In my opinion, it is going to take them a very long time to repair their reputation as far as customer service and service is concerned... A very long time..

gambler13

May 27, 2010
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Xterra 705

Rec'd another call tonight from Kevin from Minelab in Nevada. He did have my answers when I informed him the tech from Illinois didn't know for sure. That was 2 calls in one day, 1 from Illinois and 1 from Nevada. One of my questions was about waterproof coils. Was told that if you can see thru the coil, it's epoxy filled and waterproof. That includes the 10.5" DD coil.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think Whites needs to take advantage of this and make a unit that has as many frequencies, multi-tones, and they would put Minelab out of the Water Machine business...

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X

MT Pockets said:
My machine has Taken a Journey over to the New Facility in Illinos. ???.. :icon_scratch: :help:

All Excal's will be serviced there now...

Ohh Boy.... ::)

Hopefully it's not there for Several More months.

I think it may be time to talk with Upper Mgmnt..

I sent mine in and they got it at Vegas 7/2. As of the other day it is still in Vegas 8/9

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ok, I just bought a Sovereign and you guys are starting to scare me. :sad1:

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.

I have been wanting an Etrac and I have been wondering and worried about the support. :coffee2:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Minelab, are you paying attention to what's going on here?

Are you really?

You think the government is your only good paying client?

How'd you like to lose 50% to 80% of your present market share in the recreational metal detecting market?

Do you think your excuses are going to be good enough before the big bosses shove you out the door?

Because here's the problem Cupcake: if your service stinks (and it does) and you get too many more situations like you're seeing above, people are going to stop buying your equipment. Period. It doesn't matter how good the machines work when they work because of your amazing technology. If people have no faith in the quality of your product, you are sunk.

Are you listening Minelab?

You're losing customers. And its only going to get worse.

Something you might want to think about.

pamlicopanther

Feb 12, 2010
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur (Sword Model) Tesoro Cibola (With GB Mod)

MT Pockets said:
OK so here's the Deal.....................

I received my machine back from Minelab after waiting 3 Months......

I booked a Trip to S.Miami.. for 4 days with my Hunting partner and his Family..

I was Stoked.... Couldn't wait to use my Excal 1000.... That I just got back..

I live 1 hour from the Local beaches.. "Melbourne, Cocoa Bch, Fl"

But, 95% of my Hunting is Further South...

Here's how I start my Hunts...

Upon arrival to my hunting grounds, I get all my gear setup.. then Just before we lock up the truck..
we turn our machines on to check them out..

well, when I turned my Machine on it acted a lil weird at first..

I adjusted everything to where I use it...

Disc.. set to 1

Sens: set to 11-1:00

Volume: 3/4

Disc... I Never use Pinpoint..... I just never have.... I'm so in tune to my Machine.. there's no need to use it...

everything seemed ok at first.....

The minute I walked into the water I knew that there was an ISSUE !!!!!!

My machine was Erratic ONCE AGAIN..........................................Now, I'm Rippin Pissed!!!!

especially after waiting 3 months.. for my machine to get fixed....

and the Headphones Were NEVER COMPLETLY FIXED.....

Yes, They Changed the Cable to them........... and the INNERDS to them..............

But they NEVER changed the SHELLS.. WHERE They are STRIPPED OUT... and Self Adjust on their own.... OR
Just SLIDE OFF of THE HEADBAND......

THIS Problem WAS MENTIONED.... in MY PROBLEM Report... when I sent it into Minelab......

Saying that I had to USE a HOT Glue GUN to Spot Weld them into place........

OK.......

NEXT>>>>>>>>>>>>

Well,

It turns out............ That MY THRESHOLD KNOB................

Is Actually my Volume Control.................NOW... Yeah.... Believe it or not....

and................................

My Volume Control...........Is "Actually" My Threshold" Now...............................

What the HELL IS GOING ON with MINELAB IN VEGAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LAST TIME IT was SENT in ...............

They Replaced the PCB BOARD.............. and just about everything else...........

Well When I got it back that time..... Yes...........that time took 3 Months too.. In order to fix..............

Well,

It came back with a "COLD-SOLDER" JOINT..... and I Noticed it immediately after opening the box when I got it back.....

Well, The machine lasted a week before I had to send it back....................For them to PROPERLY FIX IT..........................

LISTEN PEOPLE !!!!!

I know this Thread sounds like a Big Bitch..... But Lemme tell you something................

I ONLY BUY THE BEST OF EVERYTHING !!!! THAT I BUY.........

and I thought that I was BUYING the BEST when I bought my EXCAL.... I'm Sure I did...........

But WHOEVER is Fixing them in "VEGAS"....... Well... maybe they are being RUSHED....

or Have Hearing trouble.... or whatever.....

And My Reason for saying so is......

ON the Bottom of my Service tickets.....

IT States... Detector Ops Ok Good" on one ticket...

the other ticket States: UNIT Tested OK in ALL Functions"

other ticket: Realigned unitand tested to Spec.. ALL Function OK......

Very Shortly... I'm going to post my Service Tickets that I received back from Minelab..

as well as, The Problem Sheets that I sent into them.... and You all can be the Judges....

LISTEN, I just want my machine to "FUNCTION PROPERLY"

I was told that I'll have to wait another 4-6 weeks in order to have it fixed again.. "Expedited"..

How my Doing........

Now This is the Only Minelab machine that I've Owned that I have had to send in Period...

I own a Excal II and Owned a Explorer SE... never had an issue with them..

This Machine is TURNING OUT TO BE A LEMON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There should Be a LEMON LAW for having to sent in your machine for the Same issues sooo many times....

PLEASE....

DAVID J MURPHY... "President" MINELAB USA.....

if your reading this.....

Please HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I buy my Equip BRAND NEW... Cause, I don't wanna buy other peoples problems.....

Now, I guess, I'll have to rethink this..

I was promised a Shipping label by the days end.... so that I didn't have to pay to ship my machine back to Minelab again at my expense.....

it's 7:38pm EST now.... I haven't received my Label yet..Via Email..

Man, that sucks. I would be so mad. There is no excuse for that kind of service.

Sorry to hear you are dealing with this - Hope it gets worked out.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just got mine back today... They were supposed to email me and let me know it was on it's way... Glad I was home to sign for it...
Seems to function properly... I do notice that the bottom of the coil is really weird, like they took it apart and didnt glue it evenly... It wasnt that way before.. The way it is now, I would be scared to use it WITHOUT the coil cover, several spots look like they are worn nearly thru, but this is where the "glue" isnt done well, because the coil was NOT worn like that when sent in... I have never hunted with it without the cover on...
I also noticed that the threshold only has to be turned about half way to hear it.. That is great. Before, I had to turn it almost all the way to get tone..
It says they replaced the PCB board.. What is the deal with these boards? Every one I have heard of being serviced has that board replaced... Faulty design? Did they get a warehouse full of bad boards, but decided to just keep putting them in machines until they used them up??

I am glad to have it back... I miss the multi-tones... I really like my PI, and glad to have it for sanded in conditions, or places hit really hard with Excal's, and most importantly, as a backup for when I have to send the Excal back into ML...

Keeping fingers crossed that it will stay working for a long time.... 28 business days from the time they got it until I got it back... I guess I cant whine too much about that, better than the 90 that others have had to wait..

Good luck Dennis..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread