1787 New Jersey Copper..UPDATE..Incredible Coincidence Concerning This Coin!!

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
I hit a pounded out one room schoolhouse site tonight and was digging some expected shotgun shell caps since I knew I had passed on some of those 28-32 vdi signals last time i was there.
THEN i get a nice 83 VDI and I'm thinking whoo hoo,a Barber dime! THEN I see this big disk in the dirt and I'm thinking whoo hoo,a large cent!!
THEN I see this horse's head on the disk :icon_scratch: and I'm figuring it to be just a junk token or something so into my pocket it goes and after digging a few more shotgun shell caps I call it a day.
I'm still in disbelief but after digging through my Redbook I've come to find this is one of the many varieties of New Jersey coppers minted between 1786 and 1788!!
The obverse reads "Nova Caesarea" (New Jersey) and the reverse reads "E Pluribus Unum" (One composed of many)
This one's pretty rough with a barely readable date of 1787, but I'm thrilled with it! The oldest coin from this site has been an 1882 Indian Head. Where in the heck did this come from!!! Thanks for having a look!
Jerry
UPDATE:
Here is a line direct from Wikipedia "The United States Constitution was adopted on September 17, 1787"...Not exactly earth shattering news but I just realized I dug and posted this 1787 New Jersey coin on Sept 17, the 221st anniversary of the Constitution being adopted!!! :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• New Jersey in dirt.JPG
    New Jersey in dirt.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 1,679
  • New Jersey2.JPG
    New Jersey2.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 1,665
  • New Jersey reverse.JPG
    New Jersey reverse.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,654
  • New Jersey1.JPG
    New Jersey1.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,632
Upvote 0

Mr_Mojo_Risin

Apr 29, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting note on the anniversary of the constitution being adopted. I like little coincidences like that. Sweet. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Ohio Jerry

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
I am getting my M/D now and go hunt. Great finds.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some how, I missed this post. Was this a banner find? If so, big congrats Jerry. That looks to be one rare find :thumbsup:

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That is one sweeeeeet coin. I think Banner. When is the last time you saw one of them.

Brian

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know how I missed this post!

Congrats on your NJ Copper!! I am hoping to find number 180 here in NJ, which would be my first!!!

Great find!

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, love those big coppers! Can't wait for my detector to arrive and the snow, ice and frost to be gone.

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jerry,

You the man and make Ohioans proud. That is some find. That coin is from before we had a president...wow

That may be your lifetime best find! Good luck in future hunts.

SKD

CWKEITH1

Dec 18, 2008
WOW in ohio of all places absolutely great find hope i can be the first in michigan to find one super find and keep diggin

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
plehbah said:
Colonial Zoyboy said:
Jerry, here's to finding buckets full of Colonials in that great state of Ohio! :occasion14: On another forum, I have seen 1794 campaign buttons dug by one feller in Northwest Ohio: http://www.mytreasurespot.com/forums/read.php?3,268644,268644#msg-268644 The Colonial stuff is definitely in your state, buddy! :icon_salut:

Keep on hunting with that Colonial fever! :thumbsup:

Kyle

1794 is well after Colonial times.

King George III has to be in charge of things for it to be colonial.

Colonial does not mean old.

Technically, you are correct. These are actually "Post Colonial" Coppers; but why split hairs? It is certainly "old" by American standards. Everything is relative. I am sure someone born as recently as 1908 would be referred to as "old", as would a 1908 Ford. But a million year old star would be considered new.

Either way, any coin that predates 1800 (or even 1850 for that matter) is a great find in my book!

Congratulations again!!!
Neil

OP
OP
Ohio Jerry

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Neil in West Jersey said:
plehbah said:
Colonial Zoyboy said:
Jerry, here's to finding buckets full of Colonials in that great state of Ohio! :occasion14: On another forum, I have seen 1794 campaign buttons dug by one feller in Northwest Ohio: http://www.mytreasurespot.com/forums/read.php?3,268644,268644#msg-268644 The Colonial stuff is definitely in your state, buddy! :icon_salut:

Keep on hunting with that Colonial fever! :thumbsup:

Kyle

1794 is well after Colonial times.

King George III has to be in charge of things for it to be colonial.

Colonial does not mean old.

Technically, you are correct. These are actually "Post Colonial" Coppers; but why split hairs? It is certainly "old" by American standards. Everything is relative. I am sure someone born as recently as 1908 would be referred to as "old", as would a 1908 Ford. But a million year old star would be considered new.

Either way, any coin that predates 1800 (or even 1850 for that matter) is a great find in my book!

Congratulations again!!!
Neil
Thanks Neil,I think the point that Plebah is making is that we use the term "Colonial" somewhat loosely when referring to some of our old finds. The same goes for our "Civil War Era" finds because anything associated with the Civil War seems to add instant value. This hobby and this forum have certainly taught me a lot about our country's early history and diggin suspender clips,flat buttons,harmonica reed bases etc. somehow puts me in touch with the people who originally handled them. Thanks for all the kind words about this old coin,SKD,you're probably right,I doubt I'll dig another one of these in this lifetime ;D
Jerry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread