SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well I've been getting out a few hours after work each night to some local fields. I posted all my finds from the colonial field and tonight I tried out a new field in the same town. Dug my very first NJ copper and a few buttons. One of which I thought was a gold coin because off all the gilt. The NJ looks like it was double stamped at the press and nearly clipped the coin in half. I believe it is a Serpant Head variety 1787. Im wondering if this clipping ,or nearly a clipping, of this coin is rare? Calling Don H... ;D
P3170325.jpg

P3170327.jpg

P3170329.jpg

P3170330.jpg

P3170326.jpg

P3170328.jpg

Upvote 0
l.cutler said:
The only error it could be would be a planchet cutter error. I am not convinced it is though, it may just be damaged.

I had the same response from a NJ collector, same thing, thought post strike damage but from what he could not say, possible planchet cutter, due to the curvature.

Jim could you take a more head-on photo of the Obverse(Plow side) and either email to me or post here?

Don

You guys in Jersey really know how to sniff out those coppas :notworthy:

Re: 1787 NJ Copper! Update*Pics for Don

Don these are the best shots I can get of the obverse. I stacked a george on top of the cut mark to show how it fits almost perfectly. The george is slightly bigger. What do you think?
P3190338.jpg

P3190335.jpg

P3190337.jpg

P3190336.jpg

pretty unique NJ! congrats!

Jim, the copper is a 43-d variety, (same as my Avatar and first NJ copper I found long time ago) and it could be a die planchet cutter mark that made the curve indented area, no one can come up with an implement that could have done such damage, but it darn near cut the coin in half, so I would say go with it be a Maris 43-d with die cutter damage. :icon_scratch:

I think I will post it on C4 forum for some other opinions, but already have gotten some from a few of the top experts on NJ coppers, but more opinions always welcomed. Do not think the coin is of any special value/interest becuase of the mark, since noone chimed in about it being such...

Don

Hey jim Thats a great Jersey I managed to get 3 coppers out of field think 1 is a jersey but stick a fork in mine shes done. Others are georges also dug 2 of those 1 hole puff buttons and others 8 wheats cents 10's 20's. got some neat stuff wierd how things all before 1800 and nothing till 1900"s over a hundred years and no coins. hmmmmm we must b in wrong spot for those coins. LOL I ready to move on down and hit his friends places.. Great hunt man . HH MArk

Very nice NJ Jim and that die cutter error gives it some nice "character" :thumbsup:

Nice SJ Jim A few of these found since Feb. ...crazy how many NJ copppers are turning up , all over the state , at the same time :icon_scratch: Glad they are :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back