🥇 BANNER 1805 HalfDime??

B

BiggusDiggus

So planned on running some errands then hitting a known spot for some morning detecting...Errands got thwarted so decided to drive a bit hopfully find a spot to hit for and hour or two til i could finish my errands...Happened upon a home construction site with some older looking stonewalls, asked the workers if they minded and they did not..So, coi to soil and were gettin some old shotshells horse/ox shoe halfs, foil...and bang clean 81 at 2"? thinkin some modern change i can see the rim of it on the surface..huh...what 1805????Intally thought it was a quarter but no 25 mark..so im assuming its a half dime?? I cant believe it still..if its legit i think today was a good day....

20151228_102458_resized.jpg 20151228_132451_resized.jpg 20151228_132507_resized.jpg

Upvote 57

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an amazing find. surely a banner find.Most times I would say paying to get a dug coin graded is not worth it. In your case I 'd get a reputable dealer to check it out. If they feel grading is a good idea then consider it. It is a great find. Just remember just because a coin is slabbed isn't always a strong positive especially since most graded coins that have been in the ground come back with a genuine or environmentally damaged disclaimer. But man what a nice find.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Really a choice coin, they don't get better than that. Congrats on digging a beauty.:occasion14:

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bet that's worth a great bundle of cash seeing how good the condition is!! :treasurechest: Honest to God treasure right there!

Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on an amazing find! I love when something gets posted that I need to go to the Red Book to even figure out exactly what it is. Rare and awesome. And valuable!

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the props!!It is insane, still weird/floaty here... I was stoked just to find it, before being aware of the possible value....Either way RAD..needed to share..and yes i want to get i graded,but I dont know of a good grading service proper protocol??...HH..Hit it 2015 isnt over yet

At VF grade it is approx a 4K$ coin... Awesome find!

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
oh just passing by to say HOLY FREAKING COW CONGRATULATIONS I'M GREEN WITH ENVY there I said it.

OP
OP
B

BiggusDiggus

Thanks again for all the Love!! Talk about the silver gods shining upon me...Im totally stoked, an extremely lucky and rare find-There is no way i will ever stop detecting, all the finds, learning new interesting historical bits, Imagining where these the things have been-Still taken aback by the possible value_I am planning on getting it graded, first going to a pcgs dealer near here with pics of this and the 1858 25c found a while ago..Not planning on doing anything drastic yet, but daddy needs some new headphones..Cant wait to go back and hit it again, woke up to an iced earth here unfortunately so maybe later this week-Im out for an 1804 $1(ha!!)...Again thanks for the Love and banner votes,I will update with more info and Sunlight pics..If its not frozen there,hit it!!..HH

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on getting it up onto the Banner looks great.:occasion14:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, early u.s. silver really gets my heart pumping ! Awesome find :occasion14:

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on saving that beauty! :hello2: I always wonder when I dig an oldie who might have been the last person to hold it. WTG!! :thumbsup:

HH

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes! Talk about seizing an opportunity. May be the find of a lifetime (though hope it isn't :thumbsup:)

I hope that this find, and the shilling/Guinea from yesterday, aren't excluded from banner in favor of relics, in pursuit of an artificial picture of balance. Fingers crossed
New rules are clear, its Gold coins, so ALL silver ones count. My vote is in.

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a beautiful coin. Congratulations on the banner. I look forward to seeing the new photos when you post them.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the best early silvers I have ever seen. Just a heads up....my guess is that the coin dealer will want to put the actual coin under his/her loupe or microscope. Very hard to make an accurate assessment from pics. Congrats on the Banner and on pulling an early American silver. Something that is very near the tippy top of my list

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions