๐Ÿฅ‡ BANNER 1805 HalfDime??

B

BiggusDiggus

So planned on running some errands then hitting a known spot for some morning detecting...Errands got thwarted so decided to drive a bit hopfully find a spot to hit for and hour or two til i could finish my errands...Happened upon a home construction site with some older looking stonewalls, asked the workers if they minded and they did not..So, coi to soil and were gettin some old shotshells horse/ox shoe halfs, foil...and bang clean 81 at 2"? thinkin some modern change i can see the rim of it on the surface..huh...what 1805????Intally thought it was a quarter but no 25 mark..so im assuming its a half dime?? I cant believe it still..if its legit i think today was a good day....

20151228_102458_resized.jpg 20151228_132451_resized.jpg 20151228_132507_resized.jpg

Upvote 57

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 'Title' is lacking the BANNER tag, MOD's??

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant wait to see better and more "Macro" pictures. That coin is exceedingly rare and hold a darn high premium, may even be up withere with highest graded from small bits of research. Very RARE

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful coin and in excellent shape. It doesn't hurt to ask and your initiative paid off. The city below my hometown had a story in the paper about a month ago about this old house that was being torn down in a month to make room for a new store and for reasons beyond my control, I didn't get to detect this site. I emailed the contractor and asked if I could detect there if I did it when they were not working and promised to stay out of everybody's way, but no answer. Drove by there the other day and they had began the foundation. I meant to ask where they were dumping the dirt from the site, but it's way too late now. You hit just at the right time and your instincts were on the money. Congratulations and what a way to end the year.

Perses

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites TRX bullseye Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well done my friend! Glad to see you finished off your year with a bang!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
At VF grade it is approx a 4K$ coin... Awesome find!

With all due respect where see this happening? $4K is a AU58 grade at auction this coin is a great looking coin and would be a lower in the grading at something between a VF-XF though the latter would be the highest on a good day. That being said it would put it in the $2K range and that is for a non dug coin. We all have heard what the grading companies do with the dug coins and the downside. That's just what I see, correct me if I'm seeing something wrong.

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all due respect where see this happening? $4K is a AU58 grade at auction this coin is a great looking coin and would be a lower in the grading at something between a VF-XF though the latter would be the highest on a good day. That being said it would put it in the $2K range and that is for a non dug coin. We all have heard what the grading companies do with the dug coins and the downside. That's just what I see, correct me if I'm seeing something wrong.

Pepperj is spot-on........but what a beautiful find!!!!

Iowa Dale

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the outstanding find! :occasion14::occasion14:

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Speechless! HUGE CONGRATS!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As "most" do, the finder and others tend to over-exaggerate the worth, and possible grade, of the find. NO WAY--EF or XF! It would grade VF....something. A lot of surface scratches. GREAT FIND! Davis-2

Last edited:

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your coin and making the banner! I found an 1805 draped bust half cent a couple years ago that was identifiable but extremely toasted. My only draped bust. Congrats again!

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful coin and in excellent shape. It doesn't hurt to ask and your initiative paid off. The city below my hometown had a story in the paper about a month ago about this old house that was being torn down in a month to make room for a new store and for reasons beyond my control, I didn't get to detect this site. I emailed the contractor and asked if I could detect there if I did it when they were not working and promised to stay out of everybody's way, but no answer. Drove by there the other day and they had began the foundation. I meant to ask where they were dumping the dirt from the site, but it's way too late now. You hit just at the right time and your instincts were on the money. Congratulations and what a way to end the year.

I totally feel for you. 2015 has been the absolute worst year for me in regards to gaining permission to search property of all sorts - house lots, property developers, farm fields, etc. It's been "No thank you." or six months of "Let me think about it." until they finally say "No thank you." I've never had trouble like this before in gaining permission. A lot of new people are jumping into the hobby, and many are going about it all the wrong way. I've heard of a couple of horror stories from some property owners recently. I think a lot of those ridiculous reality treasure hunting TV shows are behind some of these trends. Sorry for the rant - just venting.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find. That is a beautiful coin. If I found that, I would be smiling in my sleep. Congrats.

OP
OP
B

BiggusDiggus

Thanks again!!My first Banner!!Yeah man...Its definetly a wild find, especially randomly...Hoping this ice melts so i can get back out there today..Irregardless of the value I just like finding this stuff, if its worth .01c Im in the green, the few hours of sunlight on my face in the woods is more valuable to me...But in this case if monday ends in three zeros, Im def not complaining..Itll just fund more treasure hunting excurions...This year has been rough for me too permission wise and spot wise, seems that many people believe the holy grail is in their yard and dont want you to find it , yet dont have the gumption to get their own detector and dig it up..and if you can get permission they want to follow you around the entire time to make sure your not running off with their precious...So i try to stick to the woods-open space-public parks/forests-So far so good, but slowly watching condo complexs and pharmacys encroach on my terittories...So strike while the iron is hot i suppose, you will always find somethin..Thanks for all the love again!!Thanks for the votes!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again!!My first Banner!!Yeah man...Its definetly a wild find, especially randomly...Hoping this ice melts so i can get back out there today..Irregardless of the value I just like finding this stuff, if its worth .01c Im in the green, the few hours of sunlight on my face in the woods is more valuable to me...But in this case if monday ends in three zeros, Im def not complaining..Itll just fund more treasure hunting excurions...This year has been rough for me too permission wise and spot wise, seems that many people believe the holy grail is in their yard and dont want you to find it , yet dont have the gumption to get their own detector and dig it up..and if you can get permission they want to follow you around the entire time to make sure your not running off with their precious...So i try to stick to the woods-open space-public parks/forests-So far so good, but slowly watching condo complexs and pharmacys encroach on my terittories...So strike while the iron is hot i suppose, you will always find somethin..Thanks for all the love again!!Thanks for the votes!

"want to follow you around the entire time to make sure your not running off with their precious"

What's wrong with them watching you, wouldn't bother me, they would soon see how much trash you find & I show them everything anyway.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st Congratulations OP on an AWESOME Coin Find.

There is also one on E-bay Right now NGC Graded VF "Details" for $ 1650.00 + shipping.

That said I hate labels, From what I can see the OP's Coin looks better than the one on Ebay

I'd Def, Keep it. Also IMO These Type Dimes are Under Valued in VG-VF Grades.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really don't know what to say. It's a beautiful find. It's right where it belongs, banner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions