🥇 BANNER 1805 HalfDime??

B

BiggusDiggus

So planned on running some errands then hitting a known spot for some morning detecting...Errands got thwarted so decided to drive a bit hopfully find a spot to hit for and hour or two til i could finish my errands...Happened upon a home construction site with some older looking stonewalls, asked the workers if they minded and they did not..So, coi to soil and were gettin some old shotshells horse/ox shoe halfs, foil...and bang clean 81 at 2"? thinkin some modern change i can see the rim of it on the surface..huh...what 1805????Intally thought it was a quarter but no 25 mark..so im assuming its a half dime?? I cant believe it still..if its legit i think today was a good day....

20151228_102458_resized.jpg 20151228_132451_resized.jpg 20151228_132507_resized.jpg

Upvote 57

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to RETRACT my statement on how high this coin would grade. Given the examples I've since seen, and grades given by PCGS and NGC, this could very well grade EF or XF. This would dramatically increase it's value. I DO NOT like grading companies or recommend grading a coin, but in this case I would have it graded. Hogge

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"want to follow you around the entire time to make sure your not running off with their precious"

What's wrong with them watching you, wouldn't bother me, they would soon see how much trash you find & I show them everything anyway.

I didn't think so either.............until I dug a target & opened my hand to show him & he grabbed it ( a silver coin ), & stuck it in his pocket & said, "that's mine"!
I then left............

Iowa Dale

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't think so either.............until I dug a target & opened my hand to show him & he grabbed it ( a silver coin ), & stuck it in his pocket & said, "that's mine"!
I then left............

Iowa Dale
That's just rude, anyone can be rude, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be working with a landowner like that. But they are all different.

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Gourgous coin!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I then left............

Iowa Dale

I had that same thing happen to me Dale!

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greed is the downfall of some landowners, but the generous landowners make up for them 100 to 1.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow , A Classic piece of early Americana right there ! Any of the pre Capped Bust Silver coinage is Super rare as a dug find ! Congratulations !!!
If your financial circumstances allow , I would keep it - green backs are way easier to come by than one of those !! that smokes most gold coins !

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
What a SUPER find!!.......Welcome to the Draped Bust Silver Club!!!.....if helpful, my 1800 Draped Bust Dime in my profile graded VF-35 and honestly, I think yours easily grades higher than mine!
Congratulations on a find that will be hard to beat, trust me!!! :thumbsup::occasion14:

HH all!

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow.... BANNER!!!! That coin is worth some bucks! Is it the size of a dime? Either way it's worth well over $1000!!! Great find man!

Fugio

Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Legend, AT Pro, Garret Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply an amazing find. This is the type of coin everyone dreams of finding. Congratulations!

OP
OP
B

BiggusDiggus

20160307_164259_resized.jpg 20160307_171134_resized.jpg Update!!Got her graded, Happy...So far the rarest ive found...Stoked we are thawing out here, hitting it already..HH

Last edited by a moderator:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
WOW Did I mention....WOW. Grats to ya and thanks for the update.

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, thanks for the update. Never gets old looking at that dime you found. I know I would have been shaking like a lead on a tree if I saw that in the hole...

Fugio

Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Legend, AT Pro, Garret Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just awesome. I can say with certainty that find is worthy of a nice holder. Congrats on an incredible recovery.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz! That's a very nice coin!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread