🥇 BANNER 1812 WAR 24 POUNDER CANNONBALL FILLED WITH MUSKET BALLS

CanDiver

Sep 4, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280/Anderson Detector shaft modifications
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a really big hit in about 30ft of water. It took me about 1/2 to dig it out of the clay. When I started cleaning it I found the fuse!! Needless to say I kept it well soaked while I fulled the fuse out and while I was rinsing all the powder out of it I noticed it was full off musket balls. Also pictured is an oak gun powder barrel top with Regimental markings.

Last edited:
Upvote 24

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have to vote banner on that due to the age, the depth you found it, and the barrel top. An amazing find! Am I correct in assuming you found the barrel top close by? If so, then this absolutely is a banner find - in my humble opinion.

Last edited:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Thats new and different!
Those are the kinds of finds land hunting will probably never produce, hats off to you on some super recoveries !

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome recoveries! Love seeing your finds - keep them coming.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely amazing! VERY cool !! :icon_thumleft:

Steve

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Cool find !!! That thing would have done some damage.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
God I love it? What a treasure chest you are into. You are going to be able to open a one of a kind museum and charge people to come and see your stuff. I guarantee that you have lots of people eating their hearts out. Way to go, keep posting please.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outstanding.gif

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holly molly now that's a Banner Ball for sure. vote is going in.
ZDD

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wood is very cool too.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got a PM about this find, asking for comment. It's a rare find, because relatively few of this type of lead-balls-inside explosive "antipersonnel" cannonball used a wooden fuzeplug. This antipersonnel shell's rather small explosive charge tended to merely spit the wooden plug out of the ball, which released the blast pressure out of the fuzehole instead of exploding the ball. That problem was cured later in the 1800s by the development of a screw-in METAL fuzeplug, because it gripped the fuzehole much more tightly that the old simple "push-in" wooden fuzeplugs.

CanDiver, no offense intended, but this explosive cannonball filled with musketballs cannot be from the Revolutionary War, because it wasn't invented until after the end of that war. It was invented by a British artillery Lieutenant named Henry Shrapnel. It was first adopted for service in 1803, by the British artillery, and in the following decade was copied by other nations.
Shrapnel shell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 20th-Century term "shrapnel" for artillery shell fragments is derived from Lt. Shrapnel's invention, although the term originally meant that specific type of artillery antipersonnel shell, not the fragments of an explosive shell's iron body.

Last edited:

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very Nice 24lb Case! Very cool display piece there
im still looking for a 24!

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! I bet that was fun to lift 30 feet from the bottom. The wooden barrell lid is really a neat find!

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HutSiteDigger wrote:
> After reading CBG response to this.. I am assuming more War Of 1812 ??

Yes... being found in the US (more specifically, one of the Great Lakes), CanDiver's wooden-fuzed specimen can only be from the War-Of-1812 era. As I mentioned in my previous reply, the earliest version (first adopted for service in 1803, by the British) had a wooden fuzeplug. It was superceded by a metal-fuzed version in the 1840s, and further improved (in Britain) by their Boxer timefuze in 1852.

By the time of the American Civil War, the US artillery service was using the Bormann timefuze (which, for anybody who doesn't already know, is a screw-in metal fuze) for this type of explosive cannonball. The Confederates manufactured some which used a wooden fuzeplug, but of course none of those would be found in the Great Lakes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread