1921 SLQ - key date

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Explorer / Sovereign / Sidewinder
Was looking for colonial stuff but not arguing with this baby at all (most valuable find to date). Didn't even know this was a key date until after I got home. Glad I didn't clean it there--though I really wanted to see the date--i could see it had a date and was in good shape. Might only be my 2nd SLQ--I forget and would have to pull my silver from the safety deposit box to find out. Ran it under running water after I got home. Sorry the pics aren't better but it's with a flash. Will try to get better pics tomorrow in daylight.

Attachments

• 1921-SLQ-obverse 002_med.jpg
    1921-SLQ-obverse 002_med.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 4,967
  • 1921-SLQ-reverse 003_med.jpg
    1921-SLQ-reverse 003_med.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 4,918
Upvote 0

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a banner find. Key date SLQ in this shape is an awsome find. You get my vote.

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find. A key date in great shape is quite rare, especially a SLQ, where just having a date is pretty rare.

Congrats on the Banner.

Brian in MA

Indianhead Jones

Jul 28, 2008
Revere, Massachusetts (5 Miles North of Boston)
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum/White's Eagle II
Congratulations, my friend! :hello2:

I too, was lucky enough to find a 1921, deep in a forest, in the middle of nowhere! It wasn't in the condition yours is in, but it had a readable date! You can see it in the picture under my username.

A great find...and once again, congrats!

Larry G.

Hardrock

May 25, 2004
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, with sunray probe,Minelab SE,Eureka Gold
BANNER for sure,awesome condition for a dug coin,but opinion is the matter here and a professional one is needed,I agree with most 600.00 or better coin that is rarely found in lower grade let alone that beauty. Congrats :headbang: :notworthy:Hardrock

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Heck...any Standing Liberty Quarter with a date on it should be a banner! But when they are as nice as this one and as significant as well, banner is just formality. Pretty, EF coin. Don't know if you'd want it slabbed or not. Not a bad day's labor, although if it were me it would only get out of my possession when the last clod of dirt was thrown on me.

Congrats...you have one great find.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DMN said:
Heck...any Standing Liberty Quarter with a date on it should be a banner! But when they are as nice as this one and as significant as well, banner is just formality. Pretty, EF coin. Don't know if you'd want it slabbed or not. Not a bad day's labor, although if it were me it would only get out of my possession when the last clod of dirt was thrown on me.

Congrats...you have one great find.

I agree it is RARE to see much detail on any Stander,all of mine are dateless!The detail on that is stellar!!!

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go...........I have been wanting to dig one of those things up since I was a kid and I still have not done it. Congrats on your key date SLQ!!!!!

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Qtr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MR TUFF

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man, what a gorgeous coin! Congratulations on getting the banner too, almost makes all the hard digging worthwhile!

OP
OP
BlackX

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Explorer / Sovereign / Sidewinder
Thank you, folks, for the comments and the banner votes! (I'm quite happy to be able to search the archives now. :D )

I'll likely keep it, as I do all my finds so far, intending to leave them for my kids, but being out of work this may end up going at some point. We'll see on that part. As for getting it slabbed, I would actually like to in this case but I've seen or heard of so many coins getting marked "cleaned" even when they were also only run under tap water that I'm a bit leery of doing so. Under a 10x loupe I can't see any hairline scratches but who knows how those folks decide to mark things "cleaned". I suppose I could take it to a coin dealer and ask but the only one I'm familiar with I'm not sure I'd trust their opinion. Guess I should probably pull it out of the SD box--where it will be residing--and see what some dealers think at the next Bay State Coin Show. Any other thoughts in that direction regarding getting it slabbed?

Thanks again!
_Rich_

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BlackX said:
Thank you, folks, for the comments and the banner votes! (I'm quite happy to be able to search the archives now. :D )

I'll likely keep it, as I do all my finds so far, intending to leave them for my kids, but being out of work this may end up going at some point. We'll see on that part. As for getting it slabbed, I would actually like to in this case but I've seen or heard of so many coins getting marked "cleaned" even when they were also only run under tap water that I'm a bit leery of doing so. Under a 10x loupe I can't see any hairline scratches but who knows how those folks decide to mark things "cleaned". I suppose I could take it to a coin dealer and ask but the only one I'm familiar with I'm not sure I'd trust their opinion. Guess I should probably pull it out of the SD box--where it will be residing--and see what some dealers think at the next Bay State Coin Show. Any other thoughts in that direction regarding getting it slabbed?

Thanks again!
_Rich_

If you have any intentions of selling, definately slab it. You will get a much higher premium. Running water over it wont hurt it. And if it does returned cleaned, you can just crack it out and send it off to another one. I would send it to PCGS first then ANACS if it comes back damaged. Any way you look at it, you are going to get a nice price for that one if you put it up for sale.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stunning, just stunning

De.Digger

Apr 16, 2010
Delaware
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-trac ,Bounty Hunter 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats in awesome condition!!!! :icon_thumright: Id have to agree with Argentium its defininately better than very fine condition

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_thumright: WOW awesome coin :wink: sure is a beauty an congrats on the Banner :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread