1921 SLQ - key date

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Explorer / Sovereign / Sidewinder
Was looking for colonial stuff but not arguing with this baby at all (most valuable find to date). Didn't even know this was a key date until after I got home. Glad I didn't clean it there--though I really wanted to see the date--i could see it had a date and was in good shape. Might only be my 2nd SLQ--I forget and would have to pull my silver from the safety deposit box to find out. Ran it under running water after I got home. Sorry the pics aren't better but it's with a flash. Will try to get better pics tomorrow in daylight.

Attachments

• 1921-SLQ-obverse 002_med.jpg
    1921-SLQ-obverse 002_med.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 4,967
  • 1921-SLQ-reverse 003_med.jpg
    1921-SLQ-reverse 003_med.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 4,918
Upvote 0

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pwcguy said:
How come the U's look like V's? ???

For some reason, the U.S. went thru a period of Roman influence. At least in coinage. (With buildings it was mostly Greek.)

The Roman U was printed like our V. You can find this on a lot of the silver dollars.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this. It's been years. :laughing9:

bigealive

May 20, 2008
Good Thunder, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 - Pro Pointer
nice stander!!!! I have one too!!!! First silver coin I ever found.... All down hill after that.(silver coins that is) Yours is definately in better condition. My '21 is in F maybe VF. All in all, a great find!!!!! Todd Hollerich

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your Quarter ,but the date is is bad. The date should be raised not flat, other than that it would be graded at AU-50.Take it to a good coin dealer, have him look at the date.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spectacular beauty! :hello2: To find one with a date is the biggest challenge. If you dig 8 of these type coins 7 won't have a date! Excellent! :headbang:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SLQ's are known, not only for their beautiful design, but also for how easy they are to wear down FAST due to it's high relief.This is a great find and is definitely AU at the highest; just a step down from uncirculated. You should look at the detail still in the shield. The fine line work there is usually the first thing to wear off.

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
The coin has solidly XF details, pushing AU. Those grading it VF or lower are likely undervaluing your find because they are looking at the flatness of Ms. Liberty's head and the weakness of the date. However, many if not most SLQ's were minted with flat head detail and a weak date, so the sharpness of the head/date cannot be used for grading purposes! If the coin did not suffer environmental damage from its time in the ground, I cannot imagine it would grade lower than XF at a 3rd party grading service. Great find!

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Nice this was a early stike. The head is nice almost full however the drape on the right leg is weak. Sometime on key coins Grading services will give you a good grade higher than a common date. The bottom of the numbers are weak but that is very common for SLQ's. However I would grade it a very stong XF.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man! your pic's are fine just like that coin!, Awesome find congrats :blob7: :blob7:

rjsupersonic

Aug 5, 2011
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark /10.5 Fisher F75LTD, X-Terra 705 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is excellent!!! :icon_pirat:

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow! Look at the detail. It's worth a pretty "penny", but I would hold onto it and let it increase in value. Unless you're hard up for money then do as you wish! Great find.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
ruck said:
I love it when I see 3 stars under the eagle on the reverse of a SLQ. Ruck
I love it more when I don't, though that's not possible on this beauty!

tomjiggy

Sep 18, 2010
Great find! Just remember, even if it does grade high you may or may not get what YOU think it's worth. It all depends on whether you can find someone who is really willing to spend the money to get it. Personally I'd keep it. Btw, I think it grades at about EF-40...really nice detail on the obverse but not as much on the reverse. Probably AU-50 on front and VF-25/30 on the back. I still vote BANNER!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread