32.1 KB · Views: 643
Upvote 0

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Looks like a roofer's axe. The little notch for pulling nails. No idea when they started/stopped making them.

Daryl

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the 17 and 1800s Alot of axe blades had the nail puller made into the blade. I have a camp hatchet found in earthworks from the Civil War that has a nail puller made into it. I would say that from the wear on that blade that yours is probably 18th century-early 19th. The one I have is early 1800s but was used during the Civil War probably by some soldier as they were creating the earthworks. I have found alot of felling axes as well around and through the woods in front of the lines that I hunt. You can imagine all the men out there in front of the lines clearing trees to get a clear line of sight and direct fire.

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found one like that a few months ago. Hope mine as as old as they say yours is!!!

Nice find btw!

Attachments

• axe.jpg
    axe.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 608
  • axe.jpg
    axe.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 378

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice axe heads! Both are very old probably early to mid 1800s. I have found many myself and they are actually a hot item with relic dealers right now. They are selling them for $32 a piece. This might not sound like alot but for an old axe head, that is pretty good....And the person who is buying it is buying a piece of history to boot so I think all around it is a good thing.

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Had something that looked like that once,it was a hatchet but had a blade on one end,a hammer head on the other and a nail puller on the top, was using it one day while hunting trying to beat a nail into a tree, and the head came off. I threw it in the woods,piece of crap :D but that one is a cool find never the less :D

HH

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
matthewh05 said:
Had something that looked like that once,it was a hatchet but had a blade on one end,a hammer head on the other and a nail puller on the top, was using it one day while hunting trying to beat a nail into a tree, and the head came off. I threw it in the woods,piece of crap :D but that one is a cool find never the less :D

HH

Maybe I found yours!

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300
I found one just like it today! ;D Couldn't believe it when I brought your post up....very cool that it's that old!! :)

HH, Hank 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread