2 Reale in the park

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if you have read Rick's post you know we when coin popping tonight to drive up the silver count before the end of the year. Rick was first on the board with a couple of late model silvers, we had been hunting for nearly 4 hours before I got my first good coin and boy was it a good one. 1801, 2 Reale......... IN A PARK for crying out load. That was the last thing I expected to get there but you just never know. The next 2 coins I dug were 1 dollar loonies.:hello2:

The gun is a toy but the bullet is real.
20131122_230936.jpg

Before cleaning,
22Nov13-4.png 22Nov13-3.png
After cleaning,
20131122_230735.jpg 20131122_230633.jpg

HH,
ZDD

Upvote 12

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You hunt enough good early sites and you'll definitely see them. I only average about one a year and have definitely hunted my share of old sites over the years.... so even though I believe any old areas will have them, you can't really count on digging 5 a year even if you're finding lots of sites.

PS: There's so many other things I'd rather find than Spanish silver, but if you're still waiting for your first I can see how you'd be looking forward to that. Mine sort of caught me by surprise because I was doing so bad at finding the stuff my first 1.5 years I sort of stopped thinking about it.

Probably will see one sometime...guess I,m expecting too much too soon.

My first year at it... one of the things I,ve definitely learned is.... you gotta be in the right spots and talk to people who know things about old local history.

ZDD makes it sound too easy ..hehe.. HH

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
joesmarbles,
You are absolutely correct; the coin was minted in Lima, Peru.
Although at first glance the mint mark appears as ME, it is actually a monogram of the letters LIMAE to indicate the Lima Mint.
Don..

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably will see one sometime...guess I,m expecting too much too soon.

My first year at it... one of the things I,ve definitely learned is.... you gotta be in the right spots and talk to people who know things about old local history.

ZDD makes it sound too easy ..hehe.. HH

I don't know how much is expecting too much, but I can say it is NOT easy. It took me 5 years for a first spanish, and there are a few serious diggers been at it at least that long still looking too. I got "extra" lucky this year with a few of them.

Still wanting a complete shoe buckle, they are not easy either, but some have found a few of them. Some places just seem to be better at producing certain artefacts. LA, VA lots of spanish, CT, RI seem to have lots of shoe buckles, we mostly get toasted coppers. Obviously though, that is an over simplified generalization, and pretty much anything can be found anywhere.

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, I found the same dick Tracey cap pistol this past May,believe it or not, it still works after being in the ground for fifty years! Really cool Reale!

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome silver, Did that toy gun have you going at first sight? lol

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
As soon as I saw the title ("reale in park"), I *knew* this post was going to be coming from someone on the eastern coast. And sure enough, that was the case :) Over here in CA we knock ourselves SILLY to find stuff that old (reales, etc...). But over there, you guys have sandboxes brimming with large cents, colonials, and reales, hahah!

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Don, old coin guy here,love the challenge of these things.....Joe

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
funny what we find sometimes and where we find it...when you least expect it makes it a great hunt...congrats

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice Spanish silver man:headbang:

You guys find an awful lot of them for sure..

Blaze

PlayingInTheDirt

Nov 17, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Nokta Fors Relic, Sunray X-1 Probe, Garrett Pro Pointer, Coiltek Coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very sweet finds keep'em swinging:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, I found the same dick Tracey cap pistol this past May,believe it or not, it still works after being in the ground for fifty years! Really cool Reale!
I will have to clean mine up, it looks like it's all there.
ZDD

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an exceptional Spanish silver. :thumbsup: Good stuff! WTG

HH

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As soon as I saw the title ("reale in park"), I *knew* this post was going to be coming from someone on the eastern coast. And sure enough, that was the case :) Over here in CA we knock ourselves SILLY to find stuff that old (reales, etc...). But over there, you guys have sandboxes brimming with large cents, colonials, and reales, hahah!
Thanks Tom, I lived out west for a while, everything seems new there, but you have some awesome ghost towns in your area.
ZDD

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for your nice comments. I will say I was quite surprised by it, that is exactly why I don't go coin popping with a screwdriver. I don't want to be stabbing at old silver like that.
ZDD

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Dave, we do our best to help each other.....Joe McDonough

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Love that big silver Dave. It's amazing you found it among all the modern stuff. Beautiful coin!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread