$20,000.00 CONFEDERATE BUCKLE FOUND IN TENNESSEE

Hello there!!! I found this jewel Thursday, Nov. 17th here in Central Tennessee at a Confederate site. It is undoubtedly my best find ever!!!! I had been told the usual...that the site has been long since "hunted out". I started detecting and immediately began to find dropped William's cleaners, blank buttons, etc. Then I happened upon a hexagonal Whitworth round. I most definitely decided to concentrate my efforts in that one area of the field. After a pocketful of bullets I got a large signal with my White's XL Pro that landed the needle up around 75 on the meter. I had almost decided not to dig it because it was so loud and sounded close to the surface like some big chunks of aluminum I had been coming across in the area. But, this was a Civil War site and I knew that belt plates, especially, produced a large signal. So, I dug up a clod of soil and there it was!!! It came up with the hooks showing and I kinda stood there for a moment until it dawned on me that I was looking at a belt buckle. I turned it over and saw the CS surrounded by stars and the rest is a blur. I cannot tell you the elation I felt and I think that I walked in circles around the hole for several minutes making phone calls with my cellular before actually picking the relic up! It is a day that I will never forget. The buckle is valued in excess of $20,000.00!!!!? ;D

Attachments

• cs1.jpg
    cs1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,870
  • cs2.jpg
    cs2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,872
  • cs1.jpg
    cs1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,852
  • cs2.jpg
    cs2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,845
  • cs9.jpg
    cs9.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 937
  • cs10.jpg
    cs10.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 944
Upvote 0

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW! :o

Congratulations to you!!!

And how long did it take you to leave that place? :D

Nana ;)

DetectoDude

May 2, 2004
So. Ca.
Oh My God! You have really found something great!!!!!!!!!!! Good for you, congrats to you, I can imagine you are still not sleeping. You should put it in for the best finds of the year and write a story. I also think you should go back there and detect some more!

rabajohn

Aug 10, 2005
Woodlawn, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & ole Tesoro Silver Sabre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dang! I've been throwing those in the trash along with those pesky Large Copper cents! Congrats on the awesome buckle! Maybe during a skirmish some excited soldier carrying a full case of those buckles, stumbled and dropped the box and left it. It could happen! If I'm right, would you send me one of them? ;D ;D ;D

A

agbonanza

Absolutely amazing!!! ?Fantastic find!! ?Keep on hunting the area, perhaps more will follow...HH

R

rvbvetter

? ? ? ?WOW!!!!!? ? ?Fantastic Find!!!!? ? ?If you sell it through one of the well known auction houses like? Sothby's.? ?I would be surprised if you didn't get considerably more than that.? ?Congratulations!!!!? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? HH

Crutch

Sep 1, 2005
Springfield Tennessee
Detector(s) used
DFX / Eagle II SL 90
From one Tennessean to another, congratulations. If there was one there, well, you just never know. The next one would probably be the 1000 dollar version but I'm sure you would get over it. I hope can keep it in a safe place for a very long time.

W

whites6000inPa

Kind of makes you want to go show it to everybody who told you it was "hunted out"...don't it?

Super find.....May we all be so fortunate. Congratulations! :o

Wyatt

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, White's Prizm III, Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, that is amazing....congrats!!! There is a civil war campsite about an hour from me that I don't think anybody knows about, that just makes me want to go hit it even more. It was the site of a winter skirmish, the Confederates (numbering about 150) were wintering in this hollow and were attacked by a superior Union force of about 275 men. The Confederates scattered and 5-10 were killed, around 42 were captured. Someone once told me that 3 of the Confederate graves were still visible on a point overlooking the hollow........man I can't wait to get out there!!! Great Find!!

HH

Crutch

Sep 1, 2005
Springfield Tennessee
Detector(s) used
DFX / Eagle II SL 90
I don't want to highjack this post but anyway

Wintering sights are a great place to hunt. When they camp for the winter they very often got re-supplied. With that came new equipment. They would just throw the old belts and everything else over in the weeds or trash pit and put the new stuff on. Got to remember that a heavy ole brass buckle wasn't worth much back then expecially if the leather was wearing out. So they dumped them in the bushes.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread