$20,000.00 CONFEDERATE BUCKLE FOUND IN TENNESSEE

Hello there!!! I found this jewel Thursday, Nov. 17th here in Central Tennessee at a Confederate site. It is undoubtedly my best find ever!!!! I had been told the usual...that the site has been long since "hunted out". I started detecting and immediately began to find dropped William's cleaners, blank buttons, etc. Then I happened upon a hexagonal Whitworth round. I most definitely decided to concentrate my efforts in that one area of the field. After a pocketful of bullets I got a large signal with my White's XL Pro that landed the needle up around 75 on the meter. I had almost decided not to dig it because it was so loud and sounded close to the surface like some big chunks of aluminum I had been coming across in the area. But, this was a Civil War site and I knew that belt plates, especially, produced a large signal. So, I dug up a clod of soil and there it was!!! It came up with the hooks showing and I kinda stood there for a moment until it dawned on me that I was looking at a belt buckle. I turned it over and saw the CS surrounded by stars and the rest is a blur. I cannot tell you the elation I felt and I think that I walked in circles around the hole for several minutes making phone calls with my cellular before actually picking the relic up! It is a day that I will never forget. The buckle is valued in excess of $20,000.00!!!!? ;D

Attachments

• cs1.jpg
    cs1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,870
  • cs2.jpg
    cs2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,872
  • cs1.jpg
    cs1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,852
  • cs2.jpg
    cs2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,845
  • cs9.jpg
    cs9.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 937
  • cs10.jpg
    cs10.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 944
Upvote 0

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From all I've been reading thru research, that buckle is almost "unique",,,

there's only a "handful" known in existence that have been found/dug...

A museum would definitely be interested in buying it for a hefty price (granted it's found to be authentic)...

Again,

excellent find, and good luck selling it if you do!

K

Kentucky Kache

Hold the excitement 'til you've tried to locate the owner. ;D Just kidding. Excellent find.

B

Bo Hott

Wow!!! I'm at a total loss for words, I guess thats how Bama felt after this past weekend. Excellent find makes me want to jump up and go diggin right now. Congrats best find I've ever seen.

azmetaldetector

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites MXT Pro
I'm in total shock and awe. Nice find is too liitle to say. Very, very cool!!!!!

panzermeyer

Jul 27, 2004
The Great White North
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum Tesoro Tiger Shark
Does it get any better ?I really doubt it. Congrats on a homerun find. I;d have tough time selling a find like that.Hope your luck stays with you. HH Panz

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats got to be a top 10 find, wtg. Tsgman

OP
OP
archaphilius

archaphilius

Greenie
Thank you all, thank you all, thank you all!!!!!!!! I appreciate all the comments. The buckle is causing quite a stir in the relic community and I am taking it to the big Civl War show in Nashville Dec. 3rd and 4th for it to be photographed for North-South Trader magazine and several other publications. Anybody who is going to be there, let me know as I love meeting fellow detectorists. I went back to the site today and continue to get dropped bullets so, it is by no means hunted out"!!! HH to all and many, many thanks!!!----Randy

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
thank you for sharing it with us! that really is the find of a lifetime!

ticotiger14

Jul 29, 2004
Congratulations on your Find of a lifetime. That just goes to show you if you keep swinging that coil something spectacular can happen at anytime. Thats what makes this hobby so great.
HH, Tico

cillosis

Nov 3, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT/White's Prizm 5
Boy oh boy am I jealous. Why couldn't the civil war have involved little ol' Oregon over here so I can find cool stuff like that? Well, anyway. I left it there for you to find, consider it an early Christmas present :D ;)...No just kidding. Congrats!

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's Gold Master, Garrett Infinium
Pretty darn cool, buckle, arch.
I thought had posted before regarding the possiblity of the buckle's owner being there still on site. Maybe it's not cool to bring that up.
Have you located any thing similar there close such as buttons, etc? You may even find bone or other evidence. You'd probably not want to let it out or at least hunt the site real, real well first, but I'd think it proper to call Son's of the Confederates or such if that were the case. Someone is bound to inquire at the show.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread