A couple unique tokens !!

cintisteve

Oct 29, 2006
West Chester Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's V3I,White's xlt,Fisher F4,Tesoro Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found these in Indiana the other day. First chance to post them.The first says" good eating in 57 "with HJ Heinz on it. The second one is a peeler's check from the Brunson canning factory in Orestes Indiana. It is now known as "Red Gold". The largest producer of tomato products in the world. Any one ever seen either of the tokens before?

Steve

Attachments

• 1-08-09 001.jpg
    1-08-09 001.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 778
  • 1-08-09 002.jpg
    1-08-09 002.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 770
Upvote 0

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Cru, Nope unique up on it ;D :sign10:.........NGE

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
The Heinz token is a promotion for the Heinz 57 sauce which probably was introduced in 1957. They would have been passed out to store owners as advertising by their salesmen and they may also have been handed out at food demonstrations and taste tests at the various county and state fairs. They may also have given them to all their employees that year as a memento. The total mintage may have been as high as 50,000 pieces.
The pickers check i will look up for you. I am a contributor to the new indiana catalog and have a copy of the latest manuscript copy. I do not own a token from that town so would like to know when you sell it or if you would take some nice Ohio tokens for it I'll see what i can come up with.
For now here is what i learned .....

ORESTES - BRUNSON CANNING CO. INC. ALUMINUM 26MM
ORESTES - ORESTES CANNING CO - 4C - ALUMINUM 25MM
ORESTES - ORESTES CANNING CO. INC. - ALUMINUM 21MM
ORESTES - ORESTES 1 PACKING CORP - PEELING CHECK -ALUMINUM 20MM
ORESTES - AT THE SMOKE HOUSE - GOOD FOR 5C IN TRADE - ALUMINUM 26MM

All of these tokens are known to the author of the catalog and many of the contributors also have thousands of tokens in their collections. That would indicate
that at best there are only two of these tokens. His and yours. Hope this helps.
siegfried schlagrule

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Siegfried Schlagrule said:
The Heinz token is a promotion for the Heinz 57 sauce which probably was introduced in 1957. They would have been passed out to store owners as advertising by their salesmen and they may also have been handed out at food demonstrations and taste tests at the various county and state fairs. They may also have given them to all their employees that year as a memento. The total mintage may have been as high as 50,000 pieces.
The pickers check i will look up for you. I am a contributor to the new indiana catalog and have a copy of the latest manuscript copy. I do not own a token from that town so would like to know when you sell it or if you would take some nice Ohio tokens for it I'll see what i can come up with.
For now here is what i learned .....

ORESTES - BRUNSON CANNING CO. INC. ALUMINUM 26MM
ORESTES - ORESTES CANNING CO - 4C - ALUMINUM 25MM
ORESTES - ORESTES CANNING CO. INC. - ALUMINUM 21MM
ORESTES - ORESTES 1 PACKING CORP - PEELING CHECK -ALUMINUM 20MM
ORESTES - AT THE SMOKE HOUSE - GOOD FOR 5C IN TRADE - ALUMINUM 26MM

All of these tokens are known to the author of the catalog and many of the contributors also have thousands of tokens in their collections. That would indicate
that at best there are only two of these tokens. His and yours. Hope this helps.
siegfried schlagrule

Good Reply!

This is the sort of serious researching we should encourage on Tnet. Facts based on study & evidence.

OP
OP
cintisteve

cintisteve

Oct 29, 2006
West Chester Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's V3I,White's xlt,Fisher F4,Tesoro Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: A couple unique tokens !!_Point of Information!!

I just found there are 3 of these coins for sale on ebay as we speak. They arrange in price from $5-$15.00.

I stand corrected. They arent even unusal. I just had never seen one.There may indeed have been as the number quoted at one time.

Steve

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We all enjoy the hobby, but this is why many of us dont like to post our finds. To some it may be a LIFE STYLE... but for most its just a great way to pass the time and find some great pieces of history. Who wants to be critisized about his wording.... certainly not me. I just want to see some finds that are unique to me without all the drama. Ive found some neat tokens in Indiana as well Steve... great finds dude.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Steve, nice tokens buddy. I can't say I've ever seen either one of those before. Keep up the good work!

DANGLANGLEY

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
i ain't never seen dem kindz needer ;D. But, dey sure had me befuddled fer a bit, almost "yu-neek" in my book 10-4?.......NGE

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dewcon4414 said:
We all enjoy the hobby, but this is why many of us dont like to post our finds. To some it may be a LIFE STYLE... but for most its just a great way to pass the time and find some great pieces of history. Who wants to be critisized about his wording.... certainly not me. I just want to see some finds that are unique to me without all the drama. Ive found some neat tokens in Indiana as well Steve... great finds dude.

If your worried (no-one should have to worry, be comfortable in your own skin) about getting criticized on Tnet, then your right you shouldn't post. I get it ALL the time. As you say if you find 'great pieces of history' then give them the credit they deserve. Wording is important with historic finds!

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
I stopped...I put a few of my years finds on annual finds... but that was it for the year...

To sum up... guys like you win !!! cool huh..........

pakeha63

Nov 13, 2008
Stockton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Lobo ST
Good find Steve. :thumbsup: I like finding different tokens, it makes a change for me when I dig up clad coins all day.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Green1 said:
I stopped...I put a few of my years finds on annual finds... but that was it for the year...

To sum up... guys like you win !!! cool huh..........

You have a strange way of looking at things if you think 'guys like me win'. Win what? Are we having a competition or at war, no we are a bunch of people connected across the world by a love for the same hobbie.

If your trying to make out that you don't post because of me, then its you that has the problems. If you can't put up with people like me spreading facts & opinions for all to learn from & debate with then don't bother (I get it wrong plenty of times & I get my fair share of criticism which doesn't stop me posting!). I have never attacked you & only rarely get heated with those that start trouble with me. I take a Christian view on people that start trouble, ie. turn the other cheek!

I have spent hours of my free time helping ID things for people no matter what nationality they were. How dare you blame me for your shortcomings! In your world it now must be cool huh!!

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well said Cru......... i would only stop posting when the good Lord calls me home. (my wife knows nutthin' bout a computer) so you're all safe in that respect. ;D.......NGE

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
notgittinenny ( treasures ) said:
Well said Cru......... i would only stop posting when the good Lord calls me home. (my wife knows nutthin' bout a computer) so you're all safe in that respect. ;D.......NGE

THANKS, lets just all get on, & get out & find the good stuff!

I'm very sorry to the poster that I ever started this. (although I still feel its a valid comment) I try hard not to wind people up & help as much as I can & I still get hammered for it. I should be the one with the 'chip on the shoulder' but I'm not. I'm happy ;D

MODs feel free to delete.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
plehbah said:
CRUSADER said:
notgittinenny ( treasures ) said:

THANKS, lets just all get on, & get out & find the good stuff!

I'm very sorry to the poster that I ever started this. (although I still feel its a valid comment) I try hard not to wind people up & help as much as I can & I still get hammered for it. I should be the one with the 'chip on the shoulder' but I'm not. I'm happy ;D

MODs feel free to delete.

Conviction is hard my friend, but your cause is just. Do not apologize for spreading education and engaging in debate.

I vote that adults will be able to live through having feathers ruffled on an internet forum. We will not acquiesce to tantrums.

i was just going to say that! :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread