A little off topic - silver coins in their original state

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
From time to time, I've been fortunate to acquire Saving Banks and Cards. The most recent was a Savings Bank. It is a metal bank disguised as a book about the size of a palm. The bank would own the key and they were issued to customers to assist in saving pocket change. When the customer was ready to deposit they would bring the book bank in to the bank and deposit the coins. It was partially filled with mercs and wheats. I paid $5 for the bank at an estate sale.

The other savings cards I received from my pick-up bank. To encourage savings, banks would issue cards with slots for dimes. When the card was filled, the customer would deposit the card. I have 4 full cards of mercs. I kept them in the original cards.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I find 'em all the time! In their original state, lost - in the ground. Mutiple silver coins in one hole!

OP
OP
koala33

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From time to time, I've been fortunate to acquire Saving Banks and Cards. The most recent was a Savings Bank. It is a metal bank disguised as a book about the size of a palm. The bank would own the key and they were issued to customers to assist in saving pocket change. When the customer was ready to deposit they would bring the book bank in to the bank and deposit the coins. It was partially filled with mercs and wheats. I paid $5 for the bank at an estate sale.

The other savings cards I received from my pick-up bank. To encourage savings, banks would issue cards with slots for dimes. When the card was filled, the customer would deposit the card. I have 4 full cards of mercs. I kept them in the original cards.

Nice!!!

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Found a single Roosevelt dime from the late '50s in a 100+ yr old house that I was helping to take a chimney out of. It was in the crack between the base trim and wall.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Pics as promised:

Bank Book (Small).JPG
Springfield, Mass. Bank Book

Saving Card (Small).JPG
Qtr Savings Cards

Saving Card (2) (Small).JPG
Saving Card of Barber, Merc, and Roosie

Saving Card (3) (Small).JPG
Front/Back of Saving Cards (filled with Roosevelt dimes)

OP
OP
koala33

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, thanks for the pics and the info!

Madwest, that is pretty cool. I find history so fascinating I guess, so I think it would be so neat to find silver in its original state. I want to start MDing also - I bought a detector a year ago, but have not used it much. My dad has a newly acquired farm in NW PA, and I messed around for an hour or so when I went to visit. I found an old bar in the ground with "LEAD" embossed on it - I thought that was pretty neat, but it's not silver :( I can't wait to go back though and spend some more time on his property.

Th3Offspring

Aug 29, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A relative of mine once stumbled upon a room full of antique slot machines in a building that was scheduled to be demolished. Full to the brim with buffs, mercs, SLQs, you name it all untouched for 50 years. Sure would have loved to been there for that. They contacted the owner who gave permission to save anything and everything they were interested in before the building was torn down.

OP
OP
koala33

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A relative of mine once stumbled upon a room full of antique slot machines in a building that was scheduled to be demolished. Full to the brim with buffs, mercs, SLQs, you name it all untouched for 50 years. Sure would have loved to been there for that. They contacted the owner who gave permission to save anything and everything they were interested in before the building was torn down.

WOW now that is awesome..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread