A Merc, Rosie & Silver Ring running the 250 Full Bore

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
A Merc, Rosie & Silver Ring running the 250 Full Bore

Went out on Sunday and found that ring by a tree. I've gotten into the habit now of circling trees, where as before I used to avoid them. Also picked up quite a bit of clad, which I usually don't when I'm focused on finding a silver coin. That's the thing about me....I'm in either two hunting modes, silver or clad. In clad mode, overlapping is minimal and it's all about filling up the clad bag. If a silver pops up, even better. In silver mode, I take my time and usually end up with just a little clad. Today I went out again on a pure silver mode. Things started out a little weird, but I'm glad I took an extra two minutes to give myself a wake up call. I took a dime I had found at around 1 inch and buried it myself about 5 inches. Went over it with the 250 in coin mode and nothing, no signal. Then I set the thing to All Metal and it picked it up. Serious wake up call. Here I was standing and I could almost hear the voices of the TNet members saying "All Metal Mode"...."Extra Batteries"....."Go to All Metal Mode in an area you've found a good coin". So I did. 10 minutes later I walk right into that Silver Roosevelt. The ingrate in me was wishing it had been a merc. 30 minutes later I bring out that mercury. I stuck around for another 1/2 hour and called it a day. My ears are still ringing as I write, as my headphones have no volume control........but from here on out.......my way of hunting has totally changed. Pics and scan enclosed.

Attachments

• jan15.JPG
    jan15.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 560
Upvote 0

tpmrcp

Dec 31, 2006
East Stroudsburg, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: A Merc, Rosie & Silver Ring running the 250 Full Bore

Nice posts, nice detector!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, great coins! Thanks for sharing the tip too. I have so much to learn in this hobby. :)

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina

nice finds ricardo wtg
hh
dave+bobbie

Attachments

• DSCF1459.JPG
    DSCF1459.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 514
  • DSCF1460.JPG
    DSCF1460.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 510
  • DSCF1459.JPG
    DSCF1459.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 505
  • DSCF1460.JPG
    DSCF1460.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 504

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage

Nice going Ricardo. Killing those silver dimes.
Mike in NJ

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII

Great job!
More than just good luck rubs off on you around this forum! ;)

Try the same area again with a slower swing, walking in a straight line from different points. I'll bet more coins pop out!

Good luck!

Ridley

Spiney Norma

Jan 5, 2007
Elkhart Indiana
Detector(s) used
One that will some day rule ze Vorld! HAHAHA!

I am seriously considering a 250 for this spring. R u telling me that if I am in clad, I will miss the silver?

OP
OP
Ricardo_NY1

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used

Spiney Norma said:
I am seriously considering a 250 for this spring. R u telling me that if I am in clad, I will miss the silver?

Not sure exactly what you mean, but what I realized is what has been said here many times, swinging around with discrimination will make you miss some good targets.

Update: I think I got your question...........the answer is no. What I meant in my original post is that when I'm out hunting for clad, my overlap is very minimal and it's more of a speed competition to cover as much area and scoop up as much clad as possible. Silver can pop up in there too. On the opposite is where I am focused on silver simply because the area looks like it can produce or I ran into a couple of wheats. Then I begin to work a small area carefully overlapping my swings really tight. Not much clad has been produced for me using this method, but it's the only way to squeeze out whatever silver may lay there.

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ace 250? And if so, when you had it in all metal did it show up as a dime on the screen when you hit the dimes? How high did you have the sensitivity set? I'm 'bout nosey. I've got trees around that I've found mercs, but running straight coin mode.

Great finds, loves me some silver. I've got the cheapo version (not cut all the way through) of that Celt knot ring, yours is a beauty.

HH,
Ramapirate

Chibuya

Dec 8, 2006
Hollywood, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter, Tesoro Vaquero

I'm using the Ace 250 as well. I also run it in coin mode and still pulling up lots of nails. Although I did find a nice wheatie. Not sure how to go about missing the nails and still pull up the coins. Perhaps I will have to run all metal and dig everything?

Stacey

OP
OP
Ricardo_NY1

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used

Ramapirate said:
Ace 250? And if so, when you had it in all metal did it show up as a dime on the screen when you hit the dimes? How high did you have the sensitivity set? I'm 'bout nosey. I've got trees around that I've found mercs, but running straight coin mode.

Great finds, loves me some silver. I've got the cheapo version (not cut all the way through) of that Celt knot ring, yours is a beauty.

HH,
Ramapirate

Ramapirate, when the 250 hit those two dime, both times the cursor was solid on the dime ID (No jumping) with sens up to six or if I got that number wrong (I'm at work), with only 2 bars empty on the right. That's as high as I hunt with. What I thought at first to be black actually turned out to be soil, the design was definately a cut through. I keep the coins, my aunt gets the rings. 3 so far. Stacey, if you get hits in the notch between penny and dime, it can be just about anything including lots of caps. The nickel notch would get me just about as much junk. Not sure on which notch you are getting the nails, but I'm thinking it might be one of those two. I don't dig for nickels or on that notch. It is just way too much garbage here and I'll pass on whatever I'm going to miss on those two notches in exchange for not digging a million pull tabs. Seriously, I'd fill a bag in one outing on those notches.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Nice finds,

I liked the pics also

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions