A true master of his craft!!

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
I found this one many years ago. Actually during the first year I started relic hunting. Talk about beginers luck! The date is on the point. It was in a field that had cabbage in it and on the edge of the road they had just dug the ditch out ad flipped the debris up into the field. As I was running out of the field from a t-storm guess what caught my eye. It has some of the best flaking I have seen. The original owner and maker of this point had to be disapointed about losing it. A true master of his craft.I sure am glad he lost it for me to find some 10,000 years later. Thank You Mr. Paleoman!! Enjoy.

Happy Huntin' , Bent-Twig.

Attachments

• Picture 1284.jpg
    Picture 1284.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 956
  • Picture 1285.jpg
    Picture 1285.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 950
Upvote 0

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Spectacular piece.

I am a fan of the type, and it looks like a classic early lance from Ohio to me. There is a cluster of related paleo & early archaic types and most of them are made out of Coshocton, Mercer or Nellie flint, like your piece.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
As far as age I think there is basically no chance that it's a broken stemmed point from a later question. Late paleo, maybe transitional but I definately think an early piece. Great find.

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Super killer Ohio lance. That thing really is spectacular.
It trumps any piece I have ever found.
Chuck

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
well here i go again opening my mouth, but have you checked out the agate basin blade [9500 - 8500 bp. ] Terry

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Bent Twig,

That is a super piece!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats on finding it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Typology- Absolutely classic in every manner Ohio Paleo Lance. Even the 45 degree base flake conforms with the type. Don't ever let anyone talk you into thinking it is anything else.

Material - Light colored banded Coshocton Flint. Also classic for the piece.

Grinding - Almost always present on the sides and base up to the point where the shoulders start to turn inward. I am guessing some grinding is present even if you don't detect it. If it isn't, you may have a point that wasn't completely finished. Most step-by-step directions for this point have the grinding being done last.

Here is one I owned years ago from Huron County also. Notice any similarities.....LOL...

Regards,

Jon Dickinson.

Attachments

• lancepurple1.jpg
    lancepurple1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 246

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread