Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Isn't this just like metal detecting? The irresponsible folks ruin it for the good people? If all detectorists don't leave hole or break laws, then all dog owners don't leave messes. Is anything else any different? Drunk drivers give responsible drinkers a bad name. Obese folks in spandex give Wal-mart shoppers a bad name, etc.

A while back wifey and me went hiking in Falls Creek state Park, Tennessee. At the foot of the falls there was a couple siting with a baby, it was still early so we hung back a ways to let them enjoy and have the falls all to themselves. After a while they got up to leave. But then they noticed the baby needed changing, and when they finished up, we were completely gobsmacked, the girl tosses the dirty pamper into the pool beneath the falls! Went there to take pictures so I had to fish the thing out of the water with a stick and bury it, so it ain't just dog owners...it's stupidity and irresponsibility...in other words..."human nature". I could defend my opinion on human nature but this would become a political post.

Sorry that happened in my state to you folks but I observed the SAME thing here at a popular stop on Natchez Trace near my home. Diaper throw into shallow creek right where everyone walks and children play.... I did the same thing you did. It is disgusting to say the least.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I rarely hunt any parks full of dog turds. Not that I drag my coil through poop but avoid it by going over it. Can say though it is not a good time when you get a banging high signal right over a pile of poop out in the woods if its wild poop or cow poop or dog poop.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Again we are back where we started, it's not so much the dogs we have the problems with it's the idiot, inconsiderate, law breaking owners!

I don't have a problem with dogs in parks where they are allowed on a leash and the owner at lest attempts to clean up after them. I like animals, as long as they're not trying to remove bits and pieces of me. We've had dogs, and they pooed in their own fenced yard, which I cleaned out periodically.
Some dogs like some people just don't like people with detectors, who knows maybe we smell funny.
I guess it's like so many things a few ruin it for everybody! I have yet to see any of the law breaking dog owners get ticketed.

This.

Perhaps another reason why this behavior annoys me so much is that the county maintains several off-leash parks throughout the area, so if a dog owner absolutely, positively, just must let their dog run free and do what it may, there are places for that. I have no issue with dogs running wild in those parks, or on the owner's property, or anywhere else where it's not my business. It's at the parks where this is not allowed (or my front lawn, where it is also not allowed), and it now is my business, that I take issue with it.

I really don't think that those of us that are bothered by this are being unreasonable.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm glad you guys don't live around here. Every other farm is a horse and buggy mennonite. And they travel right down main street.

Absolutely, if you lived near Amish country you might be happy with dog poop. Here in southern Indiana Amish land the buggies stay to the extreme right of the street, that usually means the parking lanes. A big ol' stinkin' pile of horsey footballs can be expected daily, right in front of your house, or worst of all, just in front of the connected garage,....clip, clop, clip, clop...blappitty-gurbly-ploppity-plop!

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really don't think that those of us that are bothered by this are being unreasonable.

Of course it's not unreasonable of you! I am an avid dog owner and it bothers me too...the only unreasonable thing is to expect the average person to respect the feelings of others, or act like they have any sense!

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a small dog. I occasionally take her walking around the neighborhood. I always have a couple of 'baggies' in my pocket (several in the car) for 'just in case'. I try make her wait until we are in our own yard before she does her thing; but sometimes she just can't wait. I she 'ps' at the edge of someone's lawn, I really don't see a lot of harm in it. Of course, there is no way to clean that up. If she takes a 'dump', I simply pick it up with the baggie.

Several years ago I lived in a rental park, mostly mobile homes. It was a 2 square block area. I walked the area in a figure '8' at least 2 or 3 times a week; sometime 6 times a week. I would most time take my 2 dogs with me on a leash. I would walk the '8' once with them, put them back in the yard, and then sometime walk the '8' twice or 3 times again. I let them go on a second round with me a couple of times, but the pavement was hard on their paws. The distance around the '8' was just over 3/8 of a mile. The dog I have now didn't have much problems with her paws, but the other one did. He was a pug/chi mix and weighed a lot more. His weight, almost 25 pounds, for the size of his feet was a problem.

Where I live now is in a city neighborhood and I can walk the 1 dog I still have for however many blocks I want. No, not 'however many blocks I want'. I would like to walk at least several blocks a day; but can't because of my health; but sometime I can walk around a 2 block circle. I never, repeat, never leave a pile of doggy poop in someone's yard or at the edge of the walkway; or any where else.

I occasionally go to a little park a little ways from the house and take the dog. The park is a city park and is used by a lot of families. It's a place where the kids can run and play without much supervision, except for the little ones around the little pond that's there. The park is bordered on two sides by soccer fields. A lot of people let their dogs run loose on the fields and some even let their dogs run loose in the park also. It is against the law to have a dog in either place without being on a leash. I have never seen anyone stopped by the police because of these laws, though. I kinda reminds me of our immigration laws. The laws are there, but not enforced. I've been in the park and also on the soccer fields walking my dog several times when I had to step around piles of dog poop. This is ridiculous. And, no, I didn't pick it up someone else's dog's droppings! If I started that I wouldn't have much time to walk my own dog! It's really a shame.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm confused now - are we talking about the OP taking a crap on my front lawn or about responsible dog owners walking their dogs on leashes in public parks and cleaning up their poo poo?

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have an access walkway with grass on the side of my house where the gate is in the back of the house and
the other day some young woman walked her dog back into my property so her dog could take a dump without
anyone watching and she had no means to clean it up!?!?!?!
I caught her and her huge dog and told her "That is NOT COOL!"
Without saying a word she almost ran out of there!
What the hell! Now people think they can trespass on one's property if they think they're not being watched and let their dog take a dump there? I can't count the times I've stepped in crap while mowing my front lawn!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm confused now - are we talking about the OP taking a crap on my front lawn or about responsible dog owners walking their dogs on leashes in public parks and cleaning up their poo poo?
I thought the OP was talking about public parks...now hes talking about taking a dump in your yard...his original question was who is the crazy one? I think we have a winner. :tongue3:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Neither, we're somewhere in between where the dogs are in parks running free and leaving presents which the owners leave for others to find...surprise! Oh yuck!

I've had to move geese poop to get to a target. The golfer s don't like that either.

Question: if you do get a good hit when a rather large pile of horse or cow plop is under your coil, how do you know the target is not actually in the cow/horse plop? :icon_scratch:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Neither, we're somewhere in between where the dogs are in parks running free and leaving presents which the owners leave for others to find...surprise! Oh yuck!

I've had to move geese poop to get to a target. The golfer s don't like that either.

Question: if you do get a good hit when a rather large pile of horse or cow plop is under your coil, how do you know the target is not actually in the cow/horse plop? :icon_scratch:

Nobody does.... And if it's horse poooo it could be the Golden horseshoe within I'm seeking. ADVISE: Skip the cow patties.... but road apples...? Dive on in, carefully. Goose poop... naw!!!!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You don't know, not until you pick up the pile and move it over...then re scan and you now know whether to dig or start going through that pile. :laughing7:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
If you think the people freak about small Lesche shovels, they are going to go ballistic when hey see MD'rs with huge pooper scoopers!:laughing7:

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that Florida sun is getting to you Boatload, relax a bit. You might enjoy life better. If you see nothing wrong with dog poop being expelled onto an area where children play on a daily basis then there's no convincing you. The fact that I have to actually explain to you how disgusting an act it is, we'll, is beyond me. Your stuck on the "picking it up" aspect of it. Dude, wake up! It's effen nasty.

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
I hunt my neighbors horse pasture all the time. It used to be an old picnic woods. Over the last 8 or so years I have dug around 300 coins there. Most dating between 1880 and 1940. I just kick the crap out of the way and dig. Of course Im an old country boy whose family owns several farms. It don't really bother me.
I do agree that owners should clean up after their dogs. But I generally hunt old sites and not parks. So I don't really have to deal with it.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I think that Florida sun is getting to you Boatload, relax a bit. You might enjoy life better. If you see nothing wrong with dog poop being expelled onto an area where children play on a daily basis then there's no convincing you. The fact that I have to actually explain to you how disgusting an act it is, we'll, is beyond me. Your stuck on the "picking it up" aspect of it. Dude, wake up! It's effen nasty.

You still haven't explained what your problem is with a responsible dog owner walking his dog on a leash in a public park and cleaning up after him? And I said public park, not my front lawn.

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You still haven't explained what your problem is with a responsible dog owner walking his dog on a leash in a public park and cleaning up after him? And I said public park, not my front lawn.
I tell you what, go to a local park and wait for a responsible dog owner to come by, the bigger the dog the better. Wait until the dog takes a nice big steaming poop and the responsible owner "cleans" it up. Now wait till they leave and go over to where the poop "was". Now roll around in it. Really work yourself into it. It's ok, the responsible dog owner cleaned it up right? Enjoy.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I tell you what, go to a local park and wait for a responsible dog owner to come by, the bigger the dog the better. Wait until the dog takes a nice big steaming poop and the responsible owner "cleans" it up. Now wait till they leave and go over to where the poop "was". Now roll around in it. Really work yourself into it. It's ok, the responsible dog owner cleaned it up right? Enjoy.

If the dog owner isn't a complete moron, there shouldn't be anymore poop left than what a bird might drop on the ground. Is it sterile? No. But I don't eat off the ground, and you shouldn't either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread