Anyone ever been spooked while huntin ?? Or any other time ?

Had any spooky experiences MDing or Bottle diggin' ?? Or other times ??

• Yep !

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope !

• A little one time !

• Me ? Spooked ? Ha !

• I am use to it now ! I have seen many ghosties !

• Total voters

Captain Trips

Jul 24, 2006
Re: Anyone ever been spooked while huntin' ?? Or any other time ?

Jeff of PA -- I strongly recommend you try finding her again. Or hang out there and let her find you. Obviously, this locket meant a lot to her. It would mean so much if you could get it back to her.

Have you ever heard of "The Grateful Dead?" No, I don't mean the music group, I mean the story motif which gave them their name. Those known as grateful dead are those who died with something left undone, or some other serious matter left hanging, or, in this case, having lost something dear to them. Their spirit wanders until it finds someone who helps them provide closure, and they can rest in peace (cliche though it is.) Thus, the dead person is grateful, and, as a reward, something wonderful happens to the person who helped them.

It seems to me that you may be somewhere in one of these stories right now. She lost a locket very dear to her, and found you able to help her find it. The only thing left is for her to either have it returned, or at least know that it has been found. (Probably best to return it to its rightful owner.) She will then be one of the grateful dead, and no doubt you will receive some sort of benefit out of it. I will stop short of saying you will receive something of intrinsic value, but perhaps it is something positive that will be attached to your soul.

p.s. I really hope something like this would happen to me. I consider you to be very lucky to have had such an experience, eerie as it may be.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Capt Trips ... I totally agree and I too, wish I had an exp like Jeff had.

T

TreasureTales

May I add a story that doesn't involve treasure hunting but does involve a creepy sensation? Well, technically I was "house hunting." So here goes.

In September 1993 I was house hunting with a realtor. We were driving along on the freeway just chatting about house styles and prices, etc. Suddenly I looked in the direction of an old teepee burner (lumber mill sawdust burner in the general shape of a teepee, for those who are unfamiliar with such things) and had the strangest, saddest sensation come over me. I had never experienced such a sudden and strange feeling in my life! I stopped in mid-sentence and just looked at the teepee burner until my neck wouldn't twist around any further. I turned back and stared out the windshield again and didn't speak until the realtor asked what was wrong. I didn't tell him because I didn't want him to think me nutty. I went home later that evening and read the headlines of the local paper. The body of a girl who had been kidnapped from her bedroom had been found under a piece of plywood AT THE SAME TEEPEE BURNER I HAD STARED AT. I saw the burner in the background of several photos that appeared in the papers for the next few weeks. Every time I saw the thing, I got that sad, creepy, forelorn feeling but to a lesser extent. I guess the police found her body a few hours after we drove past the location. Her abductor killed her and put her body under the plywood in his attempt to hide his horrible crime. Her name was Polly Klaas.

I often drive past that teepee burner and look in its direction when I do. Fortunately, I don't get those strange and uncomfortable feelings any longer. Maybe Polly is at rest now that her killer is in prison and that guy John Mark Karr is facing charges in the same county from which she was kidnapped????

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

One time I was at a newly-cleared spot in the woods, where a friend had dug coins dating as far back as the early 1600s. The site was cleared for construction of a new church. I dug a Civil War-era Minie bullet and an 1884 Liberty nickel there, and was having fun, so I stayed until well after dark.

Since my friend was not with me on this particular outing, I was all alone after dark in this cleared area, which was still surrounded by woods. It was a little spooky but I have gotten used to night hunting in places like this. I use a small headlamp after dark.

I had that eerie feeling of being watched. A twig or two snapped, off on the perimeter of the field, in the woods.

I shone my light in that direction.

There, from the gloom of the woods, glowed several pairs of eyes!

Eight or nine pairs of eyes.

Glowing eyes. Disembodied eyes. High-off-the-ground eyes, too. Not small, close-to-the-ground-critter eyes.

Then there was a crashing sound in the brush, and the eyes began to bounce as they got closer and closer!

Whatever owned those eight or nine pairs of eyes was charging right at me!!! Yiiieee!!!

I involuntarily let out a sissified little squeal of pure horror.

Then the owners of the eyes bounded out into the open, ran past me, and dove into the woods on the opposite end of the clearing.

It was a small herd of deer, led by a big buck. I had apparently startled them almost as much as they had me.

That one added a grey hair or two to my head. Whew!

T

TreasureTales

lordmarcovan said:

An honest man. :D Gotta love it (the honesty) and admire him for it (the honesty).

Been there and done that myself a time or two.

P

PlanetExpress

Re: Anyone ever been spooked while huntin' ??

Reddielocks said:
JakePhelps said:
Not while hunting, but while exploring creepy places with my cousin when i was younger, we went to many abandoned or creepy places, and many times would find people there which spooked us...

If i were to see anyone in any of the places we go i would completely and totally freak ! Thats why i always carry my wood baton stick.Its one from the 1920's in which the cops carried and its very thick.In case someone trys something' ya know ??

How are you going to beat up a ghost with that? ;)

L

Lucky one

Reddielocks said:
Maybe we can get some pics of the old place soon .Soon as i get the nerve too ! :D I will post them on this thread when i do.

I will be happy to go with you to get some pics.

OP
OP
Spitfire Reddie

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2

PlanetExpress said:
Reddielocks said:
JakePhelps said:
Not while hunting, but while exploring creepy places with my cousin when i was younger, we went to many abandoned or creepy places, and many times would find people there which spooked us...

If i were to see anyone in any of the places we go i would completely and totally freak ! Thats why i always carry my wood baton stick.Its one from the 1920's in which the cops carried and its very thick.In case someone trys something' ya know ??

How are you going to beat up a ghost with that? ;)

Its not for the ghost ,its for the other humans that wanna try something stupid.Like try to attack us for money etc.....

OP
OP
Spitfire Reddie

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2

lordmarcovan said:
One time I was at a newly-cleared spot in the woods, where a friend had dug coins dating as far back as the early 1600s. The site was cleared for construction of a new church. I dug a Civil War-era Minie bullet and an 1884 Liberty nickel there, and was having fun, so I stayed until well after dark.

Since my friend was not with me on this particular outing, I was all alone after dark in this cleared area, which was still surrounded by woods. It was a little spooky but I have gotten used to night hunting in places like this. I use a small headlamp after dark.

I had that eerie feeling of being watched. A twig or two snapped, off on the perimeter of the field, in the woods.

I shone my light in that direction.

There, from the gloom of the woods, glowed several pairs of eyes!

Eight or nine pairs of eyes.

Glowing eyes. Disembodied eyes. High-off-the-ground eyes, too. Not small, close-to-the-ground-critter eyes.

Then there was a crashing sound in the brush, and the eyes began to bounce as they got closer and closer!

Whatever owned those eight or nine pairs of eyes was charging right at me!!! Yiiieee!!!

Then the owners of the eyes bounded out into the open, ran past me, and dove into the woods on the opposite end of the clearing.

It was a small herd of deer, led by a big buck. I had apparently startled them almost as much as they had me.

That one added a grey hair or two to my head. Whew!

Great story lordmarcovan !
I have encountered deer in the woods myself.It was a doe and a young fawn. We spooked them and the fawn ran our way while the mom deer ran the other way ! But i am sure they got back together later after we left.

OP
OP
Spitfire Reddie

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2

gypsyheart said:
About eleven years ago ,a girlfriend Helen and I got permission to hunt 'The Crazy Mans "property. For years,this old character had come in and out of the small town where I was living,stopping at the local cafe and would tell unbelievable tales .Anywhere from that he was with the CIA and was personal bodyguard to Roosevelt to the fact that he had a UFO landing strip on a lake behind his home. His property was at the end of a logging road about six miles from anyone and consisted of a two story run down house ,several sheds,old semitrailers,tons of old cars from the 30's. He had the entire property encased in barbwire with No Tresspassing signs and Keep Out was painted on everything. His wife had died years before and his children moved away. Far away.
One time he came into the cafe and had a envelope that he had put green fourleaf clover stickers on and said he had just received a letter from the Queen of Ireland....(Maybe DG can enlighten us here. ;)) and that we were to call him Lord Harry. He would greet new people and tell them he was the sheriff of the town. ::)
Anyway ,the property was about 80 acres and crammed full of everything a person could think of .When he died,his son from Chicago inherited it. He wanted nothing on the property and asked my girlfriends husband to bulldoze it.This was about five years after the old man died.My girlfriend Helen and I were in heaven....the son said we could take anything. The house was really scary looking,overgrown,but we put our fears behind us as we laughed about all the money we were going to make.
Half of the house was caved in ,wet and had alot of water and animal damage. It was dark,filthy and looked like a rotted mess. But cripes ....you cannot believe the stuff that was there. Old guns,one room(8x8)was just filled with cases of bullets,bullet reloading supplies,knives,sabers,huge artillery shells.The house was crammed with dishes,BlueWillow,pottery,china ,silver,old German pitchers and wine mugs....antique furniture,dolls,toys,sheet music,jewelry...you name it ,it was there. We knew a guy that owned a auto yard, so we had him come pull the cars out of the yard. The semi trailers were full of auto books,parts,tools. We found cast iron toys ,lead soldiers,and old army uniforms. Police badges, and surprisingly a photo album full of Roosevelt in the Whitehouse days.
It was like hitting the jackpot. The area was very wooded and dark with all the trees.You had to wear boots and basically wade through paths in the house to sort through stuff with a flashlight. Dark damp and smelly. The girlfriends husband would park his trailer out by the road and we would pack it,then he would take the load home for us and bring back the trailer.We had been working about four days straight ,laughing and just having a good time over our fortune. It was about five O'Clock pm and her husband had just left for home with a load and said he would be back in an hour. We figured during this time that we would check out the back sheds. When we were done,we went back into the house and to start carrying boxes to the road. The shadows were really looming in by now and we were both getting a little jumpy. I started to lift a box that I had set on the staircase,when I saw a shadow on the steps. I looked up and at the top of the stairs I could see the shadowy outline of a man. I just froze.Helen looked at me and then at the shadow. Just then this raspy voice whispered down the steps....Christtttty :o......Thats when we both wet our pants.... It always took me a good ten minutes to wade from the road to the house , but I can tell you I covered that distance in about 10 seconds and kept running.Helen, who is about half my height outran me. By this time the old road was casting shadows and I was having a heart attack from running. We stopped about a half a mile from the house and we were both shaking so bad we couldn't talk. Then we started laughing. Fear probally . Just then we saw the lights and ran up to her husbands truck. He told us later we were so white and we were both talking so fast he couldn't understand us. He got us in the truck and drove back up to the site. We followed him back in like stick tights. We heard banging and clanging at the top of the stairs and Mike called up there. Thats when we heard hysterical laughter and stomping feet come down the steps.Helen and I tried to bolt,but not before Mike grabbed us by the back of the neck.Here it was his two brothers ,who had parked farther down the road and snuck into the house. They hadn't known that Helen and I were in the back and when they whispered down the steps my name they were just trying to see if it was us ....they said as soon as they heard the screaming they knew it was.
It was funny later...but not that day! Even after eleven years everytime I see one of the brothers..they say 'Boo"
I have often thought about going back and metal detecting that property and this story jogged my memory enough that I just might.
We found no money in that house ,but it had stood empty for five years after his death,so who knows who else went inside.

I hope you get revenge on them gypsyheart ! ;D Plan a good one & when they least except it.You know what they say "revenge is a dish best served cold" ;)

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'd like to add my own ghost story to this post. It wasn't while hunting though;it actually happened while I was sleeping. About twenty years ago,I was renting a house and living there alone.Used to sleep in the living room.Opposite the couch about 10 feet away was the bathroom.A radio with a green display was playing something quietly. I was sleeping with my back to the bathroom door when something woke me. I turned around to look at the closed bathroom door and thought I saw a shape,shoulders and a head standing in front of it less then 10 feet away facing me.I thought because I was just waking,it was just a dream image,something i was imagining.Just then the bathroom door opened and closed hard TWICE!! I let out a yell,threw the cover over my head and just started shaking like a leaf.Sometime later, I slowly pulled the cover away.nothing there. Looked at the clock.It was 10:00PM.got up and checked the door and try to rationalize what happened. I couldn't and i still can't .That was about 20 years ago and I'm shaking as i'm typing this.Didn't sleep in that room for at least two years after that.MM2

S

stefen

I was attending a 40th birthday party with a western theme and while looking across a grassed area I heard "I'm tired and am i'm going to sleep now". Within minutes a friend came out and said that the hospital called and my mother just passed away.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

My story isn't as dramatic as the others, but it was an odd coincidence nonetheless.

Near my home is a very large cemetery with a well-paved road encircling it. It's a convenient place for daily walks, away from traffic and other distractions, and I go there early most mornings before visitors arrive. Ordinarily I pay no attention to the surroundings, but one summer day— July 27, to be precise— I happened to notice a small, weather-stained marble monument 50 yards or more from the road and, without quite knowing why, decided to walk over and take a look at it.

It marked the grave of a young fellow named Earnest who had passed away back in 1936, just eight days before he would have turned eighteen. I couldn't help thinking how sad it was that he'd died so young, and I wondered whether it was an accident, a sudden or lingering illness, or some other tragic end. As I turned to walk back to the road, I looked again and saw the date of his birth...

July 27, 1918.

T

TreasureTales

PBK said:
My story isn't as dramatic as the others, but it was an odd coincidence nonetheless.

Near my home is a very large cemetery with a well-paved road encircling it. It's a convenient place for daily walks, away from traffic and other distractions, and I go there early most mornings before visitors arrive. Ordinarily I pay no attention to the surroundings, but one summer day— July 27, to be precise— I happened to notice a small, weather-stained marble monument 50 yards or more from the road and, without quite knowing why, decided to walk over and take a look at it.

It marked the grave of a young fellow named Earnest who had passed away back in 1936, just eight days before he would have turned eighteen. I couldn't help thinking how sad it was that he'd died so young, and I wondered whether it was an accident, a sudden or lingering illness, or some other tragic end. As I turned to walk back to the road, I looked again and saw the date of his birth...

July 27, 1918.
Yeah, see the spirits can call to us. Just like with me and poor little Polly Klaas. It's the one strange and supernatural phenomenon I truly believe. Well, that and a superior being. Interesting story.

OP
OP
Spitfire Reddie

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2

All ya'lls ghost stories are creeping me out !!.....................keep'em coming ! lol
Please tell us your ghost stoires everyone.You didn't have to be out hunting .Just tell away.Any place ,any time !

Sorry about your mom stefen .She's ok now.

T

TreasureTales

stefen said:
I was attending a 40th birthday party with a western theme and while looking across a grassed area I heard "I'm tired and am i'm going to sleep now". Within minutes a friend came out and said that the hospital called and my mother just passed away.
Sorry to hear of your mother's passing. I believe it was your mother speaking to you so that you'd know why she was departing this life. Her explanation gave you some comfort I presume??!! She must have loved you very much because it must have been hard for her to get your attention away from the activities of the party, yet she succeeded. What a great story. And what a great mom!!

T

TreasureTales

mountainman 2 said:
I'd like to add my own ghost story to this post. It wasn't while hunting though;it actually happened while I was sleeping. About twenty years ago,I was renting a house and living there alone.Used to sleep in the living room.Opposite the couch about 10 feet away was the bathroom.A radio with a green display was playing something quietly. I was sleeping with my back to the bathroom door when something woke me. I turned around to look at the closed bathroom door and thought I saw a shape,shoulders and a head standing in front of it less then 10 feet away facing me.I thought because I was just waking,it was just a dream image,something i was imagining.Just then the bathroom door opened and closed hard TWICE!! I let out a yell,threw the cover over my head and just started shaking like a leaf.Sometime later, I slowly pulled the cover away.nothing there. Looked at the clock.It was 10:00PM.got up and checked the door and try to rationalize what happened. I couldn't and i still can't .That was about 20 years ago and I'm shaking as i'm typing this.Didn't sleep in that room for at least two years after that.MM2
Hmmm, could it have been the wind or a draft that caused the door to slam twice? I ask because I think ghosts want to communicate and all the door slamming did was scare you. That's not communication...that's harassment. lol I don't blame you for not sleeping in that room again for 2 years. I'd have left the cabin and sleep in the car!!!

K

Kentucky Kache

This is my kind of thread.
One of my favorite things is to get my oldest brother started telling
ghost stories that our dad had told him.
My dad was witness to many spooky happenings, and still, he didn't
believe in ghosts. Remind you of anyone? Sorry, Jeff.

Once my dad came upon an old man and a young boy, sitting on a log,
with a blank stare on their faces. Their dog was barking at something
like crazy, but there was nothing there. My dad asked what was wrong.
The boy said "There was a man standing there with no head".
My dad looked at the old man, who said, "The boy's telling the truth".

I don't know how dad justified things in his own mind, but he knew the
old man and knew he wasn't lying.

OP
OP
Spitfire Reddie

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2

jbot said:
This is my kind of thread.
One of my favorite things is to get my oldest brother started telling
ghost stories that our dad had told him.
My dad was witness to many spooky happenings, and still, he didn't
believe in ghosts. Remind you of anyone? Sorry, Jeff.

Once my dad came upon an old man and a young boy, sitting on a log,
with a blank stare on their faces. Their dog was barking at something
like crazy, but there was nothing there. My dad asked what was wrong.
The boy said "There was a man standing there with no head".
My dad looked at the old man, who said, "The boy's telling the truth".

I don't know how dad justified things in his own mind, but he knew the
old man and knew he wasn't lying.

:o :o :o now thats a creepy tale !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread