At pro depth issues

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
digginms - yes, but thats not the issue. DEPTH is the issue. Frequency has nothing to do with DEPTH.

Wheatpenny (whom started this Thread) and myself are trying to figure out why we aren't getting signals on silver over 6" in depth on our AT-Pro's while others claim that they are.

I have had intermittent problems with my unit and it drives me crazy to think that I am out there walking over treasures and missing them. I don't have FULL CONFIDENCE that my unit is working as advertised. I think that Wheatpenny would be onboard with me on this.

History has shown that there were problems with some of the first units that Garrett released (2011 or 12). From what I gather, the owners of the earlier units with problems were treated well and their units were repaired. There are others that still seem to have experienced performance issues with the AT-PRO.

I have a few issues but the issue on this thread is primarily DEPTH on the AT PRO.

The questions remain; Why are some AT PROS getting Depths on Silver AT or ABOVE 8-10 inches while others are only achieving up to 6 inches?

Could it be due to the:

â—Š Unit (inferior chip on circuit board or manufacturing defect like a "cold solder")?
â—Š Type/Size of Coil?
â—Š the Operator (habits like improper swing (too fast, slow, uneven or too far above) from the surface?
â—Š the Soil in the owners locality?
â—Š a combination of any of the above?

I was an Aviation Mechanic in the US NAVY and one of my functions was to Pre-Flight Aircraft that were to be flown over Combat Zones. After the inspection it was a requirement that I'd sign my name which would "certify" that the aircraft was safe and ready for flight.

If "my" AT PRO was an Aircraft it would fail the pre-flight inspection. I think that it's time for an overhaul or a change of equipment - still in the decision stage.

Eureka...

Your quote...
The questions remain; Why are some AT PROS getting Depths on Silver AT or ABOVE 8-10 inches while others are only achieving up to 6 inches?

The answer is their not!! They dig a hole 7-10 inches... it falls out of the side wall from 5" and falls to the bottom of the hole and they think it is at 8-10".... Its so funny to me :)
This should fire them up... :)

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can tell you at one spot I hunt that is very mineralized with the at pro I haven't found any coins deeper than maybe 6" inches. The at pro struggles there with the stock coil and the smaller coil does better. I have taken my at gold to this spot for a real short hunt and pulled an Indian at the length of my digger so at least 7.5" and had the small coil on it. The pro gb at 86 and the gold at 72. The gold handles this ground way better and is more stable. The ground is full of hot rocks and rust in the soil. Don't get me wrong the at pro I use gets targets deep but I'm loving this gold and seems more stable in my area. I love both machines. Can't wait to see Garrett's new machine to come out sometime. A new at series I hope with multiple freq and true all metal like the gold. Standard mode on the pro was a waste of time for me as I never used it.

Our friend has an AT Gold and we have 2 ATP's and we were all hunting together... The ATG found a lead shot from a shotgun shell at approx 8", we put the small shot on a leaf on top of the ground and could not even hear it with either ATP's...

The ATG sounds great!

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That has been the case in some of my finds. Lol. But mostly using pinpointer and signal still in hole so have to remove a bit more dirt. Depth isn't going to do anything for you in a real trashy site anyway. You want separation. Depth is just going to get your detector going crazy. Plowed fields are a perfect example and are my favorite places to hunt. When I find a trashy spot in a field the small coil comes out.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our friend has an AT Gold and we have 2 ATP's and we were all hunting together... The ATG found a lead shot from a shotgun shell at approx 8", we put the small shot on a leaf on top of the ground and could not even hear it with either ATP's...

The ATG sounds great!

Yea the gold loves small low conductors so you can wear your arms out digging small peices of lead. Lol. Who knows though that next small target may be gold.

Last edited:

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eureka...

Your quote...

The answer is their not!! They dig a hole 7-10 inches... it falls out of the side wall from 5" and falls to the bottom of the hole and they think it is at 8-10".... Its so funny to me :)

I am pretty sure it is an I.D.10.T error as in the computer tech world.......... all fired up:occasion14:

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always dig short of the target and then try to find it with the pinpointed and dig it from the side so I don't scratch it

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
The vast majority of old coins out there are within the limits of atpro using stock coil. If you want greater depth, you need a bigger coil, or a hotter machine.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The vast majority of old coins out there are within the limits of atpro using stock coil. If you want greater depth, you need a bigger coil, or a hotter machine.

I have a 15" NEL Attack coil on my ATP.... and I still purchased a hotter machine to get the greater depth.. :)

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the spots I hunt are way to trashy for a big coil but I wouldn't mind hunting the areas around the trashy sites with a bigger coil so I ordered a nel tornado for my gold will just have to carry my small coil with me. I have two lower shafts anyway. I ordered the small coil and shaft for my pro before I got the gold. I'll have to give my thoughts on it when I get it and try some open areas. I tried the stock pro coil on the gold the other day in an open area and wow it was getting deep. Excited to see if this nel can do better with the gold.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The NEL coils are really great!!!

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Eureka...

Your quote...

No matter what anybody says, you have all the answers, You don't like the ATP, that's fine, Why not let the people that enjoy them,.............. enjoy them? I don't like Brussel Sprouts, but that dosnt mean you cant...............lighten up, its a hobby!!..... Golfers and Fishermen fudge the truth all the time I know mine runs hot, and hits deep, no matter how many times you say "it aint so"

Last edited:

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Myself and 4 buddies went out today to a church dating to early 1700's. All the targets except for occasional clad were deep. 3 ATPs, a whites and a fisher were used. My AT as I've said has no issues going deep and the two others were using Nel hunter coils..one of which pulled a colonial coin from in the teens on depth. We know because we watched him chase that thing down the rabbit hole he created. You can tell by how a Nel coil is made that it should do better than a standard because of the shielding used, the coil's wire wrapping is supposedly tighter and more of it. I'd say for those who like their ATPs why not try a Nel coil before looking at a supposed higher end machine.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No matter what anybody says, you have all the answers, You don't like the ATP, that's fine, Why not let the people that enjoy them,.............. enjoy them? I don't like Brussel Sprouts, but that dosnt mean you cant...............lighten up, its a hobby!!..... Golfers and Fishermen fudge the truth all the time I know mine runs hot, and hits deep, no matter how many times you say "it aint so"

Oh..Now you've done it Cooper..Dont get me started on Brussel Sprouts!!

Eureka!

Mar 11, 2014
Northeast Coast USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO 5x8 Coil - VULCAN 360 Pinpointer -Lesche Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, now I'm REALLY CONFUSED!

Gets a signal with NO reading detector set with a high number ground balance number - lowers the ground balance to the 50's then gets a reading within the correct range.

What's up with that?

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that was the wrong size hole to recover those targets. I don't dig those kind of holes in a plowed field and he dug that monster in the grass. Please people don't do that. He could have pinpointed and dug a small plug to recover that quarter and other coins. This is the reason we get kicked out of great places to hunt. I will say those are some awesome finds though. Pinpoint and dig a smaller hole. I use my Sampson in the fields and my lesche in the grass and when it's real dry a screw driver. I did take a regular shovel back in the woods with me before I got the Sampson but would never carry or use something like that on grass. We are our own worst enemies and this video is the proof.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

littlewheaty

Dec 7, 2014
missouri
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ace 250, at-pro, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, now I'm REALLY CONFUSED!

Gets a signal with NO reading detector set with a high number ground balance number - lowers the ground balance to the 50's then gets a reading within the correct range.

What's up with that?

Lol! I watched this last night, and i im pretty sure it was in the garrett forum here on tnet. I think he got the cops called on him, and had to leave.

Watching this makes me think i got ground balance issues, which could be what's causing my depth issues . I noticed today if i dont auto ground balance and leave it at the factory ground balance (80) seems like i get a couple inches more depth on my targets. I tried lowering my ground balance manually by 5 or so and it wouldnt pin point very well. So I am just wondering now how how can i make sure my ground balance is working right . That kinda seems like a tricky issue to figure out. I am getting mid 80s in non mineralized soil. Any suggestions?

Eureka!

Mar 11, 2014
Northeast Coast USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO 5x8 Coil - VULCAN 360 Pinpointer -Lesche Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Littlewheaty - that video was made by silversurfer1111 on TNET. Maybe he'll pipe in and set us straight on Ground Balancing the AT PRO.

OP
OP
L

littlewheaty

Dec 7, 2014
missouri
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ace 250, at-pro, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Littlewheaty - that video was made by silversurfer1111 on TNET. Maybe he'll pipe in and set us straight on Ground Balancing the AT PRO.

I thought thats were i saw it. I watched so many videos last on ground balancing I was for sure. He had some great finds but some monster plugs. He needs to change his name to gravedigger lol.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that was the wrong size hole to recover those targets. I don't dig those kind of holes in a plowed field and he dug that monster in the grass. Please people don't do that. He could have pinpointed and dug a small plug to recover that quarter and other coins. This is the reason we get kicked out of great places to hunt. I will say those are some awesome finds though. Pinpoint and dig a smaller hole. I use my Sampson in the fields and my lesche in the grass and when it's real dry a screw driver. I did take a regular shovel back in the woods with me before I got the Sampson but would never carry or use something like that on grass. We are our own worst enemies and this video is the proof.

Yeah thats why we can only use a screw driver here in Spokane. But I can now do open heart surgery with a screw driver I got so good with it. We can only use a screw driver with a 3/8" tip. You can take a 12" screw driver and grind the tip into 3/8" width.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread