OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
It was a great box!! Lots of fun to search through. I just picked up my weekly order, hoping the silver continues! Speaking of dimes, check out what I scored from the reject chute while making a dump:

IMAG0259_1.jpg

First Barber dime I've ever found, and in the wild!

Last edited:

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats - that Barber dime is a great find! And you got it for free too which is even better than at fv. :thumbsup:

Btw, I couldnt remember for sure what your total count was on your last box but its kind strange I found almost the exact silver on Tues - a '41 Walker, 3 x '64's and 18 x 40%. It just seems strange that our finds were almost exactly the same - including a partial date '41 Walker in almost exact condition. Good luck with your boxes today.

Last edited:

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet find! I'm still looking for my first Barber dime. A Barber dime is one of my goals for the year. I see lots of nice coin counter finds in this forum. I haven't found anything good yet in any coin counters, but it's only a matter of time. I check every Coinstar I see.

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
That was the first interesting coin I've found from a coin counter, and first silver too. The tellers said the guy was trying to toss it through a bunch of times but it kept rejecting it, so I guess he just left it there. I wonder what else he had...

I did two boxes last night from the new order. The second box was a skunk, but the first yielded four 40%s and one ugly '63 Ben. One was a double roll, with a reverse 40% ender and the Ben right next door.

IMAG0263_1.jpg

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any box with a Franklin is a good box. Do you ever search non-halves?

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
@Silverslug, no, I haven't searched non-halves yet. I've thought about picking up CWR dimes but that's about it. Users here seem to average less than one silver dime per box, and my CRH funds are better put to use with halves which consistently produce for me. Even if you do find a silver dime, it's still just 1/5 of a '64 Ken half. So I'd much rather do one half box and find a '64 Ken than do five boxes of dimes to find the same amount of silver. Also, in dumping I've heard stories of dimes being counted as pennies in coin machines, so that sounds like a surefire way to lose any profits I might gain in silver.

Well, I had my good luck charm over for the weekend and she sure helped again. After finding her first Walking Liberty a few weeks ago she set her new goal of finding a Barber. Fat chance, right? Well halfway through my box I'd already found a Walker ('46) and two Bens ('52, '53) and she'd only found one 40% in her half box.

All dejected and about ready to quit, she stops mid-roll and is staring at this coin. I look over and go, "Do you know what that is?" and she says, "No..." Well, she unrolled *you guessed it,* a Barber half (1909)! 8-) And she squealed louder than when she found the Walker. She then proceeds to pull a Ben ('51) and seven more 40% from the rest of her box while I pulled zero more. :hello2:

IMAG0267_1.jpg IMAG0268_1.jpg IMAG0266_1.jpg

I did a third box this morning, which had two enders ('64 and '67) with one other 40%er in the box.

IMAG0264_1.jpg

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on more great boxes and to your gf for finding the Barber. And I agree with you about sticking to halves. You keep getting such great half boxes that it makes sense to just stick to halves and try and get all the silver you can from your great supply line as long as it lasts. At the rate you're going you may get close to 100 ozs of silver yourself by the end of the year.

H$H!

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet Barber! I see your point. Why screw around with dimes when you can find half boxes like that! That has to be a first: a Barber, Walker, Franklins, 1964 Kennedy, and a bunch of 40%ers all in one hunt. In baseball they call that "hitting the cycle". You just hit a half dollar cycle. Congrats.
Anyway, I really like the dimes even though they're not as productive as halves. I like the fact that I can pick them up on a whim without having to order them in advance. I'm planning to do a few test dumps to see if they are ever counted as cents. Since I can't ever remember finding a dime in a penny box, I'm hoping it's pretty rare. One of my banks orders dimes in clear plastic rolls, so I can search them without even opening the rolls.
I'm picking up four boxes of halves tomorrow. I will be giddy if they are half as productive as yours.
Apparently having the ladies around during a hunt brings good luck. My wife is the one that pulled out a 1911 Barber a few weeks ago. I was all excited, and she just kinda shrugged her shoulders like it was nothing. At least your girlfriend has enough sense to get excited. ha ha

Last edited:
OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Boy, it would be great to hit 100oz that fast! I thought of that myself, Silverslug, "hitting for the cycle". That was quite a hunt! It seems that my lucky lady is always the first to pull out our first of any new coins... She found our first Franklin, first Walker, and first Barber. Maybe next she'll hit a commemorative or a modern silver proof. That'd be awesome!

Finished up the last three boxes Monday night and was able to keep the silver streak going. First box yielded just one 40%. The second yielded that beautiful '44 Walking Liberty, a Franklin and four 40%. Out of the last box I pulled that plated '37 Walking Liberty that we discovered came from a necklace/pendant. I bid on eBay on a nice 50 cent piece pendant holder and chain to return the coin to necklace form and give it to my girlfriend to wear :)

IMAG0274_1.jpg
IMAG0271_1.jpg IMAG0270_1.jpg

I have my largest order so far coming this week, sixteen boxes. Here's hoping to pick up where I left off!

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on keeping the silver steak going. Good luck with you're big 16 box order. Hopefully you can keep the silver streak going into double digits.

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Picked up my large order today, sixteen boxes. They have a different stamp on the bottom from last week's crazy boxes. I did a one-box sample so far and pulled one 40% from it. I guess we'll see how they turn out!

heyscotttt

Oct 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up my large order today, sixteen boxes. They have a different stamp on the bottom from last week's crazy boxes. I did a one-box sample so far and pulled one 40% from it. I guess we'll see how they turn out!

Best of luck with those boxes. I often feel weird ordering boxes from my local bank and I only order 2 once every other week. Does the bank give any trouble or ask a lot of questions when you're ordering 16 boxes?

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey heyscotttt, I started out like you at one branch ordering two boxes a week. Eventually I expanded to ordering two more boxes a week at another branch of the same bank, and then once in a while two boxes at two other branches, since I knew they could order them (I have four branches in total that I order from). Then I upped the two weekly orders to four boxes, and this week I ordered four boxes from all four! That sounded confusing.

My bank is a regional bank so they certainly have the resources to make it happen. It's a matter of being friendly with the tellers, as well as being able to feel out when you can push for more and when you're close to overstaying your welcome. I would get cut off REALLY quickly if I ordered 16 boxes all from one branch! I don't think I'll ever order more than four weekly from a single branch unless I'm directly invited to, and those are at branches that the tellers are extremely friendly.

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That '44 Walker is awesome. Looks BU, AU for sure. Sixteen boxes a week is incredible volume. I predict you'll be swimming in sliver pretty soon. The four banks you are ordering from, are they different branches of the same bank or completely separate banks? My experience has been that the banks don't mind ordering for me, as long as I don't dump there. I'm guessing your biggest challenge, Avago, is your dump routine. To me it seems like dump banks are the ones most likely to get ticked off. I have a zillion dump banks, so any single dump bank only sees me every few months. I've also found that if I deposit the money into my account rather that cash the coins out directly, that makes them happy. They seems to feel good about handling the coinage if they are getting a hefty deposit in return. It forces me to make a withdrawal a few days later, (usually from a separate branch) but I feel that keeping my banks happy is worth the extra step. I would love to hear, Avago, about your dump routine, especially since you upped your volume. I'm eager to see how this works out for you.

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Well unfortunately it looks like this week's boxes won't be producing as well as last week's. It's a different stamp, from a different stack, so it looks like no luck on picking up the rest of that collection dump from last week. I did two boxes last night, one skunk and the other yielded a '64 Ken.

@Silverslug, yes all of the branches that I order from are of the same bank. I have found that to be the case as well, they don't like handling the coins twice for sure. I'm lucky enough to have in my area a different bank with several branches, all of which have coin counters in them. I think I said in a previous post that I have access to +/- ten coin machines. I opened an account with all of the banks that I use to dump, and I ALWAYS make it as a deposit. I keep a balance at each of those banks as well (that also makes it easier to just make a withdraw if they happen to have any coins as well, instead of having to carry around thousands in cash.) Like you said, eventually I do have to make a withdraw but I will usually do it at a branch that I haven't been to in awhile.

Your logic with the dump situation is the same logic that I use. Keep them happy by making deposits, but don't let them see you too often.

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Did four boxes over the weekend. The silver flow has definitely slowed. The first two I did were skunks :/ Another box this morning had three 40%ers and the last box had one 40% ender, only silver in the box. At least I'm not getting completely skunked on these!

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hear the silver has slowed down for you but like you say - a little is sure better than nothing. Im sure you still have quite an incredible box average. You'll probably get up to 50 ozs of AG in the next week or two. Good luck.

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks SilverFace, these boxes seem to be slow but steady. I did two more of them last night. The first turned out to be a skunk, and the other yielded one 40% and a '64 Kender. My silver-per-box average after today is 2.86, which is really great! My adjusted silver-per-box ratio for CWR is 0.32, and from loose is 45.45 per box! HA!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Only did one box last night, skunk city. My dumps are all backed up now with this heavy week...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread