Avagos Goodies

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Gf scores again. I'd sure be happy if my two boxes tomorrow were as good as those two boxes. Hopefully we'll both find plenty of silver treats in our boxes this month. :treasurechest:

H$H!

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I had a couple nice treats in last night's boxes as well. Did two of them, and one of them yielded just one 40%. The second box had two Franklins ('49, '62), a '64 Ken and five 40%s. Great box!! 8-)

IMAG0279_1.jpg

Stat time! Last night's boxes pushed us over 50oz (50.33oz), accumulated from mid June through mid October, 4 months. First 50oz includes 237 Kennedy (90% - 41, 40% - 194, 1976S - 2), 11 Ben Franklin, 6 Walkers, and 1 Barber.

We averaged 2.82 silvers per box over 84 boxes+99MWR, 0.32 silvers per box over $1550 CWR, and 45.45 silvers per box over $121 loose for a total of $44,661 searched with 255 silvers found.

That comes out to a grand total of averaging one silver per $175.14 searched, or one ounce of silver per $887.36 searched. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit up a bank on a cold call asking for any loose or rolled halves. Teller says "Well you're just in time. We were just about to ship out what we have. I have some halves, but they're mixed in with some Eisenhowers." I was barely able to keep from yelling "I'll buy them all!". It looked like they'd been collecting what they had for a long while. She brings out three bags: two with loose Ikes totaling $503 and another bag with CW halves and CW Ikes that look like they came right out of grandpa's collection.

View attachment 1020105 View attachment 1020104 View attachment 1020103

The rolls were in OLD wrappers, and were a blend of uncirculated Ikes, uncirculated Kennedys, Susan B. Anthonys, mixed-date Ikes and halves. The uncirculated Ike and half rolls were all clad 1971+ dates, for which I really have no use. I don't have the time, means, or willpower to piece out all of that out to re-sell. The Susan B. Anthonys all looked like uncirculated 1979, again for which I have no use. Going through the loose Ikes, I found no silvers or proofs, though I did find a ton of 1972 Type-3 which aren't really worth much more over face either. The most promising looking were eleven mixed-date half rolls.

View attachment 1020106

Nothing. Skunked! Over $1400 loose and CWR halves & dollars and not a single silver. I couldn't believe it! So I took a big old dump over to a freshly-opened account. Of course coin machines won't take Eisenhower dollars, so the teller and I spent 20 minutes re-counting the 503 loosies. Sad day, though I was hopefully able to secure a second pickup location for half boxes, due in two days!

Can't believe a haul like that gave up no silver - either the person who deposited them knew what they were doing and held back the silver or a sniping teller got the goodies first.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
That was a great box and great totals and box averages too. And congrats on finding 50 ozs in such a short amount of time too. Good luck the rest of the year.

H$H!

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks SF, you're very close to getting your 100oz.

I did a couple boxes this morning after clearing out a dump or two. The first box I did had two 40%, one in the first roll and one near the end. The second box was really nice, I was able to pull nine 40%s out of that one with one double roll. I love this hobby!

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
After work last night I did another couple of boxes with great results again. The first box I pulled two Franklins, both '63, five 40%s and another 1987-P. The second box yielded a sparkling white '64 and three 40%s. Picked up another eight boxes today... keep that silver coming!!

IMAG0284_1.jpg

My dumps are still getting backed up with the huge order from the other week, even with access to as many coin machines as I have. I do NOT want to overstay my welcome with them; however, most of them are surcharge free for EVERYONE, with an account or not, so I feel like it would probably take a lot to get cut off from them. It's a very lucky setup that I don't want to ruin.

Edit: A couple reject chute finds for the week-- I found a 1940 and a 1940-S wheat, a British five pence, 1966 Spanish Una Pesata, and a Canadian quarter and cent. Oh, and a clad dime. :laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Unfortunately it hasn't! Some of this week's boxes have a new stamp, and both that I did last night were skunks. Stinky ones, too.

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Didn't do any roll hunting this weekend, but when I was home to visit my parents I was able to search through a small jar of coins that I had collected with my pappy when I was little. After talking to my parents, it seems that he was also a coin collector so the hobby must just be in my genes. I scored eight silver Roosies, six '64 and two '63 from maybe $15 of dimes in the jar. I'm not sure if they got in there because of my sticky fingers as a kid, checking reject chutes all the time or if he sprinkled a few in there for me to find ten years later.

IMAG0287_1.jpg

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Didn't do any roll hunting this weekend, but when I was home to visit my parents I was able to search through a small jar of coins that I had collected with my pappy when I was little. After talking to my parents, it seems that he was also a coin collector so the hobby must just be in my genes. I scored eight silver Roosies, six '64 and two '63 from maybe $15 of dimes in the jar. I'm not sure if they got in there because of my sticky fingers as a kid, checking reject chutes all the time or if he sprinkled a few in there for me to find ten years later.

Nice Roosevelts. I've turned my parents old 1914 house upside down looking for any type of old coin, and haven't found anything--lots of old stuff, but no old coins.

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
It's all complete chance, who knows if your parents or grandparents were saving coins or stashing them in the walls of the house!

I had an excellent night last night with my half boxes, each box getting progressively better. I cherry picked boxes with a stamp that I knew had silver in them... The first box had four 40%s which is pretty good. The second contained six 40%s and a slick '35 Walking Liberty. The last and best box of the night contained eight 40%s, three '64 Kens and an even slicker '45 Walking Liberty! Now that's what I call a night of coin roll hunting! I imagine that's how it was in the prime days of this hobby. Comes out to nearly 4.5oz over these three boxes.

If anyone hasn't figured out the way I take my pics yet, in the first pic the finds are divided into columns by box with a little space between them.

IMAG0288_1.jpg
IMAG0291_1.jpg IMAG0293_1.jpg

Last edited:

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. My boxes have never had stamps. By boxes are Brinks. Which armored car company do your boxes come from? What are Walkers in average condition worth?

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Silverslug, I was able to find out that my banks use Garda, and they have flat boxes with holes in the top. They seem to be very hit and miss, either really good or really skunky. On eBay it looks like slick ones in similar condition to these are selling between $7-$12, so probably right around what a '64 Ken does. Not much numismatic value in this condition unless they're key dates I guess.

Haven't seen you post to your log in awhile. How have the finds been for you?

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
More really good boxes. And those Walkers look pretty decent to me - I'd say about VG or so condition. Over 300 silver and almost 60 ozs of silver in such a short amount of time is great. And you've already found two more 90% halves than me this year in less than half the time too. Hope the good boxes keep coming for you.

H$H!

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
You're right SilverFace, they're not as slick as I'm making them out to be... I've just been so spoiled recently with a couple beauties that these look rougher to me than they actually are! I've been very fortunate to have such a steady stream of silver... If there was any doubt that I have been sorting through some collection dump, check out last night's finds.

I did a couple of the remaining boxes with the good stamps... First roll I open, I see this. I think I said holy sh...

IMAG0297_1.jpg

Turns out to be the first modern silver proof I've found, a 2000-S. I also found a nice '46 Walker in the same box!

IMAG0301_1.jpg IMAG0302_1.jpg

The first box ended up having four 90%s and three 40%s, and the second had eight 40%s. Keep stacking!

IMAG0299_1.jpg

Last edited:

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That bad boy is so bright a blind man could see it. Nice! I'm picking up four boxes tomorrow--can't wait.

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
It sure was!! Definitely the brightest silver edge I've ever seen! Good luck on yours tomorrow Silverslug, I've got eight to pick up.

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
I finished up three of the last four boxes of the silver rich stamp last night (I'm saving one for my girlfriend this weekend so she doesn't get skunked!) The didn't fail to produce once again.

First box had four 40%s, one 90% and my newest clad proof, 2012. It's very frosty, though it's hard to tell in the pic. Second had seven 40%s and a black '63 Ben. Last box I did had three 40%s and two 90%s, a black and a white one. Interesting!

IMAG0305_1.jpg

I'm sad to come to the end of this amazing silver streak. I don't think I'll have boxes like these again for a long time. I picked up four boxes this morning and did one of them and was skunked. They looked to be searched and marked heavily by two hunters, one being our very own BuffaloBoy.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Avago, I seldom dump into the "good" supply anymore (I think I know what code and carrier has been producing well for you), my marked coins that you are pulling out are likely from a CRH'er who picked up a box from a different carrier and they dumped it into the good supply. Great boxes man! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread