devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a real treat yesterday. I was out in our backyard with our two Aussie's. Just as I stepped outside, I saw what I first thought was a huge hawk come sweeping by about a 100 feet up. The huge bird banked' and as I looked up you could plainly see his white head and tail feathers. I ran inside and called for my wife to come outside and see, thinking the eagle would be gone. To my surprise, the eagle circled our house twice more having climbed higher, but still low enough that you could see that he was a bald eagle, and I didn't have my camera. We don't see many eagles out our way, especially bald eagles, so this was something to me. I love to see these Majestic birds. I told my wife that maybe this was a sign of the " Great Turnaround" for America.

Last edited:

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a real treat yesterday. I was out in our backyard with our two Austin's. Just as I stepped outside, I saw what I first thought was a huge hawk come sweeping by about a 100 feet up. The huge bird banked' and as I looked up you could plainly see his white head and tail feathers. I ran inside and called for my wife to come outside and see, thinking the eagle would be gone. To my surprise, the eagle circled our house twice more having climbed higher, but still low enough that you could see that he was abandoned eagle, and I didn't have my camera. We don't see many eagles out our way, especially bald eagles, so this was something to me. I love to see these Majestic birds. I told my wife that maybe this was a sign of the " Great Turnaround" for America.
Glad you got to see one. Are you near water?

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad you got to see one. Are you near water?
Thanks. We have a larger recreational lake close to us, but I haven't heard of eagles in the area. We have a smaller lake in a nice residential area about 15 miles from us. It was reported that several pair of eagles had set up residence there in the past. I was wondering if maybe this eagle was from that lake. Sadly, one eagle was found dead at this lake a few years back, and pesticides was the suspected culprit. I love to see these about.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics. Bald eagles are water birds and golden eagles are prairie birds. They are also scavengers as I've seen them right amongst the magpies and ravens on road kill.

OP
OP
Oregon Viking

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All work on the "back 40" of the property has stopped. I have seen a couple of Bald Eagles and it would be nice to have a mating pair. I will still remove the underbrush but any major road building and tree removal will not happen.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck -- that would be pretty awesome to have them nesting on your property -- or even just nearby.

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics. Bald eagles are water birds and golden eagles are prairie birds. They are also scavengers as I've seen them right amongst the magpies and ravens on road kill.
One of the reasons that the wild turkey was also in the running as our national bird was that bald eagles were carrion eaters. Still, the eagle was a better choice.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread