Barber Dime ~ Injun ~ Mercs ~ Silver Ring ~ 1887 1 Sen ~ 15S Semi Key Wheatie

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hello Everyone!!

I went back to one of my favorite Barrio parks again for a couple short hunts, and the park is still producing for me.

On Friday, I was there for a couple of hours, hunting near the area I dug the '04 injun last week. I couldn't believe I had left the 1912 Barber Dime there. It was masked by a shallow zinc penny, so clearing the area of the shallow trash/clad helped me get this one. Today, I had some more luck at the park. It was very warm, around 90 degrees, with 12% humidity. I managed two mercury dimes('18, '25S), an interesting silver ring, a 1901 Indian Head penny, a 1915 S semi-key wheatie, a 1943 Cinco Centavos, an 1887 Japanese 1 Sen coin, and 15 wheaties. The Japanese coin is a beauty. It took me a while to figure out the date of the coin from the symbols on the internet, but I finally found one with the same symbols on it: 1887.

So, another couple of nice hunts at the Barrio. Some of the coins were very deep. Around the 9" mark, while most were in the 5-7" range, and next to trashy targets.

Thanks for looking!!
Keep The Passion High!! :thumbsup:

CAPTN SE
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_3314_sm.jpg
    IMG_3314_sm.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 657
  • IMG_3316_sm.jpg
    IMG_3316_sm.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 633
  • 1_Sen.jpg
    1_Sen.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 642
  • IMG_3315_sm.jpg
    IMG_3315_sm.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 622
  • IMG_3319_sm.jpg
    IMG_3319_sm.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 640
Upvote 0

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
Great finds! :thumbsup:

I guess us guys in the "Frozen-in Northeast" are gonna have to live vicariously through you for a while Dan! ;D

Congrats!

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
t-bucket said:
WTG Dan,Congrats on the Barber and the mercs. Looks like that park is a little older.I hope you find a Gold coin this year !!!! Did you scan your finds or use a camera. They turned out very clear. Have a Good one and Good luck on your next hunt !!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks, Gary! Yes, the park is a late 1800's park. I hope you're right about the gold coin. ::) ::) I use a Cannon Powershot SD550 camera in macro mode. Stay warm! :thumbsup:

ModernMiner said:
Wow Dan, great variety of finds big guy. :icon_king: Congrats on the 1915 "S" wheat, and of course the other great coins.
Very weird ring indeed. 90 degrees! You dog. :wink:
Congrats,
Doug

Thanks, Doug! Yes, it's a very strange looking ring!

Nick Pappagiorgio said:
A splendoriffically stellar assortment as usual Dan ... :thumbsup:

Righteously done my friend ~ Righteously done ...

~ Nick ~

Thanks, Nick. I forgot to answer your question the other day about how I enlarge the dates of my coins. I just put a 10x loupe on the front of my camera, then take the photo of the date region. Nothing to it.

Great hunt Cap.

That ring is interesting being offset like that. Is it a ruby? hope so for you. What did it show on your detector?

Nice Barber too. I see a lot of them on here in the 1903 to 1912 period. Must have been a good time to loose money.

SKD

Thanks, SKD. I don't think it's a ruby. Probably a garnet. It's silver, and reads right up there like a quarter does.

Great finds, especially love that Barber dime and the Japanese coin. Its amazing that you continue to get production from these parks, a testament to your skill. FYI,you are killing us with talk about temperatures in the 90's--looks like temperatures will be in the teens later this week in Maryland!

Thanks, terpfan. The park I hunt is loaded with trash, and all the good, deep finds are hiding in all of it. We had another day in the high eighties here again. Stay warm!

Boy you had a great day both ways ,90 degrees and some great coinage.I'll bet you're going back tomorrow.

Thanks, Mike. Well, I took the day off today. My GF had the day off too. No detecting....probably on Wednesday.

vpone said:
hey dan,

great start to the new year, i see you picked up my barber dime for me thanks :)
we're under 7 inches of snow now with bitter cold weather for the next 10 days - i am going crazy wanting to get out here !

keep the posts coming man,

kevin

Thanks, Kevin! Yep, got another barber from the barrio. See, there's nothing to it! ;D ;D
I know you guys are headed for some really miserable conditions. Hang in there, buddy!! :thumbsup:

Incredible finds, nice silvers & I really like that Japanese coin!

Thanks, seger!! Yeah, that Japanese coin is really cool. One of my oldest foreign coin finds in S. Cal.

kimsdad said:
Well Dan, I see you're on your way to another great year!

WTG!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king:

Thanks, Neil! I'm headed in the right direction, that's for sure.

halfdime said:
Yet another nice batch of finds! Aside from that, taunting us with talk of your 90 degree weather is just plain cruel! We're expecting temps below zero later this week; it'll be a long time before I do any detectin' :'(

Thanks, Henry. I keep thinking I'm going to get skunked at this park as many times as I have detected it, but since it's a late 1800's park, it's got a lot to give. Most of the easy stuff is gone now. It's the harder to hear deeper, and near trash signals that I'm concentrating on. So far so good. I've been hearing about the major cold front coming...I wish it was just a little colder in my area. ;D

Oh yeah ~ nice going there Dan! That's always fun to find a little of everything ~ a very nice variety of goodies there!

WOOHOO!!!

Thanks, Neil! How's the weather in your area? Rainy? I know that won't stop you much. Good luck up there!! :thumbsup:

WTG Dan, you are off to a great start for the New Year. Awesome looking Mercs, and Barber dime, that's one cool looking ring that you found. Nice Wheat count and a Semi key date 15S, Continued Success throughout the year.

Thanks, topdog! Good luck to you!! :thumbsup:

time4me said:
Nice hunts Dan! Gotta love this California weather we're having right now. Major bummer for me is that I was planning on going out all day tomorrow (Tuesday), and I got selected for jury duty today on a case that is supposed to last three days - :BangHead:

Congrats on the nice finds, and keep it up!

Thanks, Jim! Yeah, the weather is really nice...almost too hot and dry in the middle of the day. That sucks about the jury duty. :'( I know you're going to need your silver fix real soon! ::)

Great hunting as always Dan. I frickin' love that ring. They must mow the lawn alot more than here. You find the most half and cut coins I've seen. Good Luck on the next visit.
Take care, Mike

Hey, thanks Mike!! Yeah, it's a cool ring, and they certainly mow the turf here all the time. At least once a week. Stay warm! :thumbsup:

Detectingfreak said:
very nice job on the silver coins!!! Good job on the 15S wheatie! :) I got one of those as well last year! :) Nice job on the silver ring too! Its a beauty! :)

Thanks, DF. Hope your next hunt is a "winner"!! :thumbsup:

gold nuggets said:
A couple of very nice hunts Dan. WTG :thumbsup:
Even in already hunted areas, you still manage to pull out some
silver coins and a variety of interesting treasures. Congrats on the
mercs and the wheats. The Japanese coin is interesting and in fair shape.
Sorry to hear that it was ONLY 90 degrees there. Some of us would
like you to share the warmth. Gold Nuggets :icon_jokercolor:

Thanks, Richard! That's my expertise. I really like to find the good stuff in heavily hunted parks. But then all of our parks down here are heavily hunted. ;D

Very nice finds. Beautiful silver.

Thanks, SilverDreams!! :thumbsup:

crazyjarhead said:
Great finds, Dan My wife said that the Japanese coin is from the 12Th year of the Meiji era. How did you figure the 1887 date? I found one here in Ohio last year at my families old farm. I had a great uncle who was lost in the Philipines (Battan death march) in 1944. He was with a friend from Columbus, Ohio. He just died several years ago. He used to visit my great grandparents farm where the coin was found. My guess is that he brought it back from the war as a war souvenir and lost it on the farm. I saw that you were getting a SantaAna, and Los Angeles was 85 yesterday. Lucky you. I'll trade places as it will be only 5 on Friday......... that's the high. Great finds as usual. Your the man :icon_sunny:

Thanks, Ron!! That's cool that you found the same coin in OH. You've got some really cold temps coming.....that's the sign for you to get out there and go "crazy"!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

litefire56 said:
Very nice assortment of finds Dan! :thumbsup: Please send some of that nice weather our way.

Thanks, litefire56! I wish I could send you some better weather. It's freakin' hot and dry over here!

Nate in Ohio said:
Wow, that Japanese coin is awesome. I love obscure finds like that. And the ring is so cool...I score it extremely high in the unusual department. ;D Good-looking barber too. Well done and rock on.

Thanks, Nate! Yeah, it's a really nice looking coin. Lots of detail! I'm not sure if I'll ever find one like it again too. Very uncommon!

DigginThePast said:
Very nice selection of finds. :thumbsup: Cool ring, stone is probably garnet, gotta love the silver. 8) I'd keep hitting that site!

Thanks, Diggin' ! You're right on about the red stone on the ring. You bet I will keep pounding and pillaging that park. It's one of my favorites.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
oledavidboy said:
crazyjarhead said:
Great finds, Dan My wife said that the Japanese coin is from the 12Th year of the Meiji era. How did you figure the 1887 date? I found one here in Ohio last year at my families old farm. I had a great uncle who was lost in the Philipines (Battan death march) in 1944. He was with a friend from Columbus, Ohio. He just died several years ago. He used to visit my great grandparents farm where the coin was found. My guess is that he brought it back from the war as a war souvenir and lost it on the farm. I saw that you were getting a SantaAna, and Los Angeles was 85 yesterday. Lucky you. I'll trade places as it will be only 5 on Friday......... that's the high. Great finds as usual. Your the man :icon_sunny:

Hey Crazy Jar Head,
Man your wife was close!
Actually they didnt make a 1 sen coin in the year Meiji 12. She is reading it in reverse!

Meiji 12 would look like this:

明治 十 二 年

meiji 10 2 Year

Most older coin dates are read right to left while newer ones are read left to right so you can see how confusing it can be.

Here is the Meiji 20:

明治 二 十 年

meiji 2 10 Year

I took a picture of the listing from my 2009 coin book.
The third column shows there were about 22 and one quarter million made.
then the values:
Sealed at the mint: 25,000 Yen ($250)
Uncirculated: 150,000 Yen ($150)
values follow respectively:
Extra Fine
Very Fine
Fine
$12, $2.50 and $1.50

Great Find Captain, I've been detecting a couple of years in Japan and have not found anything even nearly as old!

My wife is from Japan :D

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Those look like very nice coins!! WTG!! HH

Thanks, HH! Yeah, the coins are all in pretty good shape! I love the way the silver comes out of this park. Very clean!! :thumbsup:

silverfreak said:
Awesome digs my friend. I can't get my silver fix...but I can get close enough through your posts this winter. Oh yeah...you don't have "winter" do you? ;D

Thanks, Bryce! I know how you must feel not being able to get your Silver fix. :'( I'll try to keep producing for your viewing pleasure. And you're right...so far no winter here. Feels like the second Summer. :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny:

Dr. Ace said:
Dan,

Congrats on a great group of finds! Very nice variety. Love the Barber. :D You are off to a great start for the new year. Keep it up.

It's about a hundred degrees colder here. The low on Wednesday night is supposed to be -9 degrees. We got another 5 inches of snow today. Man, I'm definitely 'California Dreaming'! Two more months until I'll be swinging my detector. Until then, I have all the more time to read your posts!

HH,

Dr. Ace

Thanks, Bruce! That sucks about your weather. Well, hang in there another couple of months, and enjoy the posts!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy said:
Those are some GREAT looking, well-recovered coins. Excellent! :thumbsup:

-Buckles

Thanks, Buckles! I put some scratches on the wheats, but the silver came out of the ground okay!! :thumbsup:

Dude, your finds make we wanna get a Minelab and learn it.

Hey AustinJoe, if you've got the money, I'd recommend the machine. For those who invest the time into learning its tones, it's a "killer" machine.

Dan those are more great finds, you are definitely hard to keep up with.

Thanks, Mike! Keep up the great finds in your area. You're off to a great year!! :thumbsup:

dirt doctor said:
Great finds Dan ,

It looks like your well on your way to another great year . :thumbsup:

H H ,
George

Thanks, George. Haven't heard from you in a while, buddy!! Good luck to you!! :thumbsup:

I look at your finds, look out my window at the frozen ground, hang my head and cry, cry, cry, cry....only if I could put my unit on the ground....
But I do admire your skill and hard work....well done ....congrats

Thanks, rjw4law!! That sucks about your weather....hang in there!!

Hey Crazy Jar Head,
Man your wife was close!
Actually they didnt make a 1 sen coin in the year Meiji 12. She is reading it in reverse!

Meiji 12 would look like this:

明治 十 二 年

meiji 10 2 Year

Most older coin dates are read right to left while newer ones are read left to right so you can see how confusing it can be.

Here is the Meiji 20:

明治 二 十 年

meiji 2 10 Year

I took a picture of the listing from my 2009 coin book.
The third column shows there were about 22 and one quarter million made.
then the values:
Sealed at the mint: 25,000 Yen ($250)
Uncirculated: 150,000 Yen ($150)
values follow respectively:
Extra Fine
Very Fine
Fine
$12, $2.50 and $1.50

Great Find Captain, I've been detecting a couple of years in Japan and have not found anything even nearly as old!

Hey, I appreciate all the research/info about my Japanese coin you shared with me, OleDavidBoy!! I can't believe you haven't found anything that old in Japan yet. I feel very lucky to find it!! Thanks again!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dman said:
Nice finds. Can you ship some of the warm weather to Tennessee? ;D
Dman

Thanks, Dman!! I wish I could send you some of this warm, warm weather. I'm praying for a little cool down. I hate sweating so much while detecting.

top dawg!
Thanks, Sage!!

Colonial Copper Zeus said:
Cap'n Dan strikes again. You are a killer detector of parks and such. :thumbsup:
Chris

Hey, thanks Chris!! When you live in a large metropolis like Los Angeles, if you don't detect at parks, you're really missing out of a lot of great history/finds here.

kibitzr said:
Super nice finds Dan, especially like the ring, very unusual, is that stone a ruby? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks, kibitzr! No, the stone is a garnet! Good luck to you! :thumbsup:

Narthoniel said:
Wow, you struck it big again. You are killing those parks.

I love that Japanese coin. It is amazingly beautiful, and considering the age as well - wow! And apparently it carries some value, so congratulations on a superb find!

Anthony

Thanks, Anthony! Yeah, I really like that Japanese coin also. A very, very uncommon find here in S. Cal.

I always like your posts - filled with enthusiasm, details, nice pics, and finds from common spots. Great work!

Thanks, Fish-Gate! Appreciate it!! It's amazing how just hunting the common spots can be so fruitful! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

thrillathahunt said:
CALIFORNIA DREAMIN........ :)

:thumbsup:

Thanks, thrillathahunt!! The weather is awesome here, but the economy really sucks here. Third highest unemployment in the nation. :'( :'(

congrats on the sweet silver and those warm temps..

Thanks, Allen!! Good luck to you!! :thumbsup:

CRUSADER said:
That 1887 is an interesting coin to find :thumbsup:

Thanks, Cru ! It is a very interesting and very uncommon find for S. Cal.

Nana40 said:
The colors in your pictures are just amazing! Fantastic finds and pictures, Dan! 8)

Nana :)

Thanks, Nana!! I'm starting to take after you!! You always have great looking pics!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Great stuff Dan. Love those barbers

Thanks, Where'sTheGoodStuff!! I like those barbers too. I'm not sure how many I'll get this year, so I'm going to relish each one I get. :thumbsup: ::) ::)

The Buzzard King said:
Great finds! :thumbsup:

I guess us guys in the "Frozen-in Northeast" are gonna have to live vicariously through you for a while Dan! ;D

Congrats!

Thanks, TBK!! Stay warm! I'll try to keep producing for all the vicarious ones!! ;D ;D

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
crazyjarhead said:
Here's the one I found last year. Meiji 10 ju nen

Hey Ron, thanks for the pic of your 1 Sen!! Very cool!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread