Barber Dime ~ Injun ~ Mercs ~ Silver Ring ~ 1887 1 Sen ~ 15S Semi Key Wheatie

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hello Everyone!!

I went back to one of my favorite Barrio parks again for a couple short hunts, and the park is still producing for me.

On Friday, I was there for a couple of hours, hunting near the area I dug the '04 injun last week. I couldn't believe I had left the 1912 Barber Dime there. It was masked by a shallow zinc penny, so clearing the area of the shallow trash/clad helped me get this one. Today, I had some more luck at the park. It was very warm, around 90 degrees, with 12% humidity. I managed two mercury dimes('18, '25S), an interesting silver ring, a 1901 Indian Head penny, a 1915 S semi-key wheatie, a 1943 Cinco Centavos, an 1887 Japanese 1 Sen coin, and 15 wheaties. The Japanese coin is a beauty. It took me a while to figure out the date of the coin from the symbols on the internet, but I finally found one with the same symbols on it: 1887.

So, another couple of nice hunts at the Barrio. Some of the coins were very deep. Around the 9" mark, while most were in the 5-7" range, and next to trashy targets.

Thanks for looking!!
Keep The Passion High!! :thumbsup:

CAPTN SE
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_3314_sm.jpg
    IMG_3314_sm.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 657
  • IMG_3316_sm.jpg
    IMG_3316_sm.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 633
  • 1_Sen.jpg
    1_Sen.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 642
  • IMG_3315_sm.jpg
    IMG_3315_sm.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 622
  • IMG_3319_sm.jpg
    IMG_3319_sm.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 640
Upvote 0

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice selection of finds. :thumbsup: Cool ring, stone is probably garnet, gotta love the silver. 8) I'd keep hitting that site!

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
Re: Barber Dime ~ Injun ~ Mercs ~ Silver Ring ~ 1887 1 Sen ~ 15S Semi Key Wheati

Those look like very nice coins!! WTG!! HH

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome digs my friend. I can't get my silver fix...but I can get close enough through your posts this winter. Oh yeah...you don't have "winter" do you? ;D

Dr. Ace

Nov 4, 2007
South-Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Ace 250
Re: Barber Dime ~ Injun ~ Mercs ~ Silver Ring ~ 1887 1 Sen ~ 15S Semi Key Wheati

Dan,

Congrats on a great group of finds! Very nice variety. Love the Barber. :D You are off to a great start for the new year. Keep it up.

It's about a hundred degrees colder here. The low on Wednesday night is supposed to be -9 degrees. We got another 5 inches of snow today. Man, I'm definitely 'California Dreaming'! Two more months until I'll be swinging my detector. Until then, I have all the more time to read your posts!

HH,

Dr. Ace

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some GREAT looking, well-recovered coins. Excellent! :thumbsup:

-Buckles

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I look at your finds, look out my window at the frozen ground, hang my head and cry, cry, cry, cry....only if I could put my unit on the ground....
But I do admire your skill and hard work....well done ....congrats

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
crazyjarhead said:
Great finds, Dan My wife said that the Japanese coin is from the 12Th year of the Meiji era. How did you figure the 1887 date? I found one here in Ohio last year at my families old farm. I had a great uncle who was lost in the Philipines (Battan death march) in 1944. He was with a friend from Columbus, Ohio. He just died several years ago. He used to visit my great grandparents farm where the coin was found. My guess is that he brought it back from the war as a war souvenir and lost it on the farm. I saw that you were getting a SantaAna, and Los Angeles was 85 yesterday. Lucky you. I'll trade places as it will be only 5 on Friday......... that's the high. Great finds as usual. Your the man :icon_sunny:

Hey Crazy Jar Head,
Man your wife was close!
Actually they didnt make a 1 sen coin in the year Meiji 12. She is reading it in reverse!

Meiji 12 would look like this:

明治 十 二 年

meiji 10 2 Year

Most older coin dates are read right to left while newer ones are read left to right so you can see how confusing it can be.

Here is the Meiji 20:

明治 二 十 年

meiji 2 10 Year

I took a picture of the listing from my 2009 coin book.
The third column shows there were about 22 and one quarter million made.
then the values:
Sealed at the mint: 25,000 Yen ($250)
Uncirculated: 150,000 Yen ($150)
values follow respectively:
Extra Fine
Very Fine
Fine
$12, $2.50 and $1.50

Great Find Captain, I've been detecting a couple of years in Japan and have not found anything even nearly as old!

Attachments

• Meiji 20  dragon 1 sen.jpg
    Meiji 20 dragon 1 sen.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 532

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Nice finds. Can you ship some of the warm weather to Tennessee? ;D
Dman

kibitzr

Dec 18, 2007
Niles,Mich
Detector(s) used
Expl SE, Excalibur ll, E-Trac, Whites V3
Super nice finds Dan, especially like the ring, very unusual, is that stone a ruby? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Wow, you struck it big again. You are killing those parks.

I love that Japanese coin. It is amazingly beautiful, and considering the age as well - wow! And apparently it carries some value, so congratulations on a superb find!

Anthony

Fish-Gate

Jan 10, 2006
Huntington, Indiana, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always like your posts - filled with enthusiasm, details, nice pics, and finds from common spots. Great work!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That 1887 is an interesting coin to find :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions