Be honest now...

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
How many of you don't replace your silver dimes? Come on now, I occasionally don't do it if I forget to buy some loose ones or don't have any replacement dimes. How many of you have thought of or take a dime out of each roll to make some money back? I know that is dishonest, but the banks really wouldn't know. I haven't done it, and I don't plan on doing it, but it just came to mind.

Upvote 0

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first roll that I pull a keeper from, for any denomination, becomes my loose replacement coin roll.

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Now that I think about it, if I took a dime out of every roll I searched. I would make $20 every $1000, which really is a lot of money...I'll probably search around $1500 tomorrow, meaning if I did this I would make $30! I really don't know what keeps me from doing it. I won't though because I am an honest person...for the most part.

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
it did it with halves ... took one halve out of 4 different roles. Unfortunaley, the teller actually counted the 500$ box and found out and contacted us and BLEH BLEH.... i cant dump there anymore even though she thinks it was a mistake..

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I never have, and never would. Don't know if I'd get caught or not, but I have to live with myself; I'd rather not live that way. The closest I've come to it was when I would leave Canadian coins in the rolls I found, and I don't even do that anymore. I'd guess the worst thing I do now is placing bent/damaged/heavily soiled coins in rolls, but that's only because I've explored every possible means of turning in mutilated coins, and none of the banks I've approached, even those I've held accounts with for years, will take them. Technically I'm not shorting anyone, but I'm not crazy about it.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have forgotten plenty of times, but never done it "just because I can", because that's a jerk move.

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
I leave the Canadians the rolls all the time! All of the banks know what I do and all are fine with it.

Dark

Aug 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
23665195.jpg

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one idea. Here are some more:

1) Pump gas, "forget" to pay, and drive away. You can make $90 that way.
2) Order a pizza delivery to the neighbors house and another one to a house just down the street. When the pizza guy is at the neighbor's door, "forget" that the pizza guy's car isn't yours, take the other pizza out of it. You make $14.50 that way.
3) Put 14 doughnuts in a box, go through the self checkout at the grocery store, "forget" that you have more than 12, and pay for a dozen. You make $4.50 that way.
4) "Forget" that you worked 40 hours. Put 46 hours on your timecard at work. You make $54 that way.
5) "Forget" that the old lady's purse in the shopping cart at Walmart isn't yours - take it home with you. You make $72 that way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
I'm just saying that it is completely possible to take 1 coin from every roll and a teller probably wouldn't know the difference! In no way did I claim I will ever do this intentionally. I was just putting this out there as a possibility and was wondering if anyone has done it.

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
That's one idea. Here are some more:

1) Pump gas, "forget" to pay, and drive away. You can make $90 that way.
2) Order a pizza delivery to the neighbors house and another one to a house just down the street. When the pizza guy is at the neighbor's door, "forget" that the pizza guy's car isn't yours, take the other pizza out of it. You make $14.50 that way.
3) Put 14 doughnuts in a box, go through the self checkout at the grocery store, "forget" that you have more than 12, and pay for a dozen. You make $4.50 that way.
4) "Forget" that you worked 40 hours. Put 46 hours on your timecard at work. You make $54 that way.
5) "Forget" that the old lady's purse in the shopping cart at Walmart isn't yours - take it home with you. You make $72 that way.

Number 3 is a good one. Just Kidding! Seriously though, I wouldn't do that.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use bags i never put coins in to replace the ones i take out. I hope they give me the full amount. They do take the full amount out of my acct when its short.

BlackOut

May 31, 2012
I replace everything. I am honest, but even if I weren't it isn't worth getting cut off over a few bucks. I even weigh all my cwr dimes
After I search them toile sure what I dumping is accurate as I don't want to be accountable for shortages. I have even replaced up to 10 dimes in a roll before reluctantly. I don't know how any teller could accept a roll this short to Elgin with. The good thing is I scored enough silver y
In the batch to offset my costs of adding 2-10 dimes per almost every roll.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that I think about it, if I took a dime out of every roll I searched. I would make $20 every $1000, which really is a lot of money...I'll probably search around $1500 tomorrow, meaning if I did this I would make $30! I really don't know what keeps me from doing it. I won't though because I am an honest person...for the most part.

You don't do it for the very same reason that you would be ticked of if every roll of the $1500 you are going to search was short 1 coin.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

$14.50 for a pizza and $2.25 for a doughnut? Where do you live??

That's just crazy...

I can get a pizza for $5 and a doughnut for 69 cents...
:icon_scratch:

Still though, I agree with your examples. And I'm sure people pull crap like that on a daily basis. What sad times these are.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread