Best bagged paydirt to buy?

EvilVOG

Feb 7, 2014
Brownstown, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know there has been lots of discussions on this subject, I've read through most of them. What it comes down to is, I live at least 300-400 miles from anywhere that has enough gold to make panning for gold rewarding. I don't have much free time as it is, and i'm not looking to get rich. I just want to pan and find enough gold to have it be entertaining.

Not looking to hear a debate on why people should or should not buy bagged dirt. This is just for me (or anyone else) who has already made the decision to buy some and are looking for recommendations. Or maybe if you have bought some share your experience with the seller/dirt.

I have panned a little before, but just bought my first pan that came with a 1/4lb of concentrate dirt:from ebay seller. Kit cost me 19.50, he sells a 1/2 lb bag for $10 just for reference. Not an expert at panning, nor have i weighed what i have, but below is a pic of my 2nd of what will be 3 pans I will get out of the 1/4 lb sample.

1604458_10203057762023657_1931200208_n.jpg

So if you could help me make my next purchase, and if anyone has any tips on getting flour gold out of this blond sand without a miller table... thanks

Also I see a member here sells some, I may contact you, or send me a pm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Russau
Yes that is the cheaper way to go and you get guaranteed gold. But I think alot of it is the thrill of the chase. People buy lottery tickets for the thrill of the chase, you are better off working hard and even getting a second job and saving your money, in the long run for virtually everyone, you will make more money doing that than buying lottery tickets. But is that as much fun? not for everyone.
By the same token about 3 years ago I took 4-5 trips to NH to pan and sluice for gold, I found about $5 worth, spent about $500 for that, but it was fun (and hard work and hard on my knees). I could have simply stayed home and salted some stream sand or backyard dirt and found more gold but was is it as fun? I know that if I went to NH 2 out of 3 trips I would get skunked.

Physically right now I cannot go streamside and so will probably buy some pay this year. I will ask my son and friends who go to NH to bring back some dirt but it won't be cons just a 5 gallon bucket of river gravel. Of course they usually forget.

but again, finally, it is the thrill of the chase, whether streamside or by mail, many if not most of use are eternal optimists hoping we hit is and get some decent gold. When you salt your own the thrill is gone as you know what you are going to get.

As an example, I watched the first half of the Superbowl (yea Pats) and then recorded the rest as I had to work the next day. When I went to watch the second half I knew the results (I knew how much gold I would get) and it was like watching highlights, the thrill was gone as I knew the outcome.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Kevin
The pay showed up today, thank you very much. I spent 20 minutes with the bag on the table and a flashlight just looking at it from various angles and moving the insides around to see if I could spot anything.
Lots of quartz of various shades, looks like a good batch!

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
At least it all fell on the lawn. Not the driveway or car.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would say I'm looking forward to it but...

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Kevin
Did you get up here? If so what did you think of the snow? We got twice what we normally get in a whole season, in just 30 days. Tomorrow it is going to be -11, should be in the high 30's this time of year here.

Still haven't run the dirt you sent me, I have been getting the house ready for the spring flood and also removing 2-3 feet of snow off the roof!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup, I'm in Marlborough right now! All of my local coworkers are talking about ice dams, snow loads and flooding worries. I really feel for you!

JamesUK

Feb 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guy,
I've just signed up after reading this thread and it is really helpful and intriguing stuff.
I want to start by saying Kevin you are a true gentleman for sending that to a vet, well played sir!

I am from the UK and we have barely any sites that we can go to to prospect and the ones we do are 200-400 miles away from me I have always been interested in prospecting and I remember as a kid my grandfather took me up to Scotland and we actually found a spec or two of gold and I've always wanted to recapture that memory.
Is there anyone that people would personally recommend pay dirt sellers to me I know I am going to get hit with a hell of postage cost but to me that feeling would be priceless to see a bit of gold in a pan!
Great work guys and thank you in advance

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not sure about international shipping but I have bought from several of the sellers listed in this thread, the most recent Constellation Mining https://constellationminingcompany.com/
Dirt Hogg is also good.

Kruger was the best but I heard he has dried up due to the dredge laws in Calif

Last edited:

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh James, I am in much the same boat. Even if I could physically get into the stream it is 150-200 miles to the nearest area for me.

OP
OP
E

EvilVOG

Feb 7, 2014
Brownstown, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Working on a couple new reviews, one of them was probably the best bang for the buck I've found yet. eBay seller scottyh79, his auctions are "black hills gold paydirt". He usually does one auction per week and it's a war to say the least, but it's worth it.

One of the others I would rate as the best is one I reviewed earlier in this thread, the guy from the bearing sea gold tv show. Lots of gold from small samples.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ok I'm old and get bored easily. Where can I buy dirt to pan that has either kruggerands or at least 1/4 ounce nuggets?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jeff I've heard 1 gram bars are pretty in the gold pan ;)

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have any of you tried the loaded paydirt from my friend Don Finley at Goldstrike Adventures? I know he uses real paydirt (and salts it like they almost all do).

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ya know this got me thinking, if the Hoffmans had sold even their run dirt they would have made a killing selling 1lb bags! "Buy our paydirt, ya know we missed most of it!" The "glory hole" dirt would have sold for a premium!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread