Best bagged paydirt to buy?

EvilVOG

Feb 7, 2014
Brownstown, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know there has been lots of discussions on this subject, I've read through most of them. What it comes down to is, I live at least 300-400 miles from anywhere that has enough gold to make panning for gold rewarding. I don't have much free time as it is, and i'm not looking to get rich. I just want to pan and find enough gold to have it be entertaining.

Not looking to hear a debate on why people should or should not buy bagged dirt. This is just for me (or anyone else) who has already made the decision to buy some and are looking for recommendations. Or maybe if you have bought some share your experience with the seller/dirt.

I have panned a little before, but just bought my first pan that came with a 1/4lb of concentrate dirt:from ebay seller. Kit cost me 19.50, he sells a 1/2 lb bag for $10 just for reference. Not an expert at panning, nor have i weighed what i have, but below is a pic of my 2nd of what will be 3 pans I will get out of the 1/4 lb sample.

1604458_10203057762023657_1931200208_n.jpg

So if you could help me make my next purchase, and if anyone has any tips on getting flour gold out of this blond sand without a miller table... thanks

Also I see a member here sells some, I may contact you, or send me a pm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

JamesUK

Feb 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You right there Ben, I want to get to the point where I can be able to go to a stream so pay dirt in the back yard seems the best option for now, then maybe once I'm confident go and spend a weekend camping somewhere. I have pinpointed a few places that look perfect! I am going to order a bag from dirt Hogg and give him a go it will take 1-3 weeks to come 😢 but alas my panning will begin again! Thanks guys

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hah thanks Ben that is great! Anyone ever try it? I might buy some for a fan of the show thatd like it more for the branding.

OP
OP
E

EvilVOG

Feb 7, 2014
Brownstown, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that is supposedly all dirt from Parker's claim, Scribner creek. I ran some of it. It's not bad, but it's a little expensive for what you'll get out of it compared to other paydirt.

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Bazooka Gold Trap 36" Sniper
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, I've tried paydirtgold.com. Ran a pound of it, and come out with about 30 decent colors. Running the other pound tonight, and will post some pics of all of the gold later this evening

Last edited:

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They say they take real paydirt and salt it, so it could have more than they salt which makes it a bit more fun. Still would rather have that Hoffman dirt from the end of their sluice.

I dunno, my wife might kill me if I try panning in our 1 bedroom apartment, hah! Still I would probably be the only person to ever pan for gold in a highrise apartment in Chicago...hmmmm.

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Finished panning the dirt from paydirtgold.com

Here are the results:

1st run ( X2 half pound bags)
18 pieces of gold (10 from one bag, 8 from the other)
uploadfromtaptalk1424997271583.jpg

2nd run ( 1x 1lb bag)
8 pieces
uploadfromtaptalk1424997325357.jpg

I classified the material, and ran it 1tbsp at a time, then re-ran the material twice to make sure I got all of it. (Didn't find any in the two re-runs, so I guess I was panning it pretty well)

BTW, panned all of this with my father (Jonesy on here), so he could have fun too, and so I could benefit from his knowledge.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finished panning the dirt from paydirtgold.com

Here are the results:

1st run ( X2 half pound bags)
18 pieces of gold (10 from one bag, 8 from the other)
View attachment 1124961

2nd run ( 1x 1lb bag)
8 pieces
View attachment 1124962

I classified the material, and ran it 1tbsp at a time, then re-ran the material twice to make sure I got all of it. (Didn't find any in the two re-runs, so I guess I was panning it pretty well)

BTW, panned all of this with my father (Jonesy on here), so he could have fun too, and so I could benefit from his knowledge.

Thanks for the info. You are learning to pan...added bonus!

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Plus, the 12" drop bottom pan you can get with a half pound, for $19.95, is pretty nice [emoji12]

goldandbill

Dec 2, 2013
Gold Beach,OR
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 7 and Mine Lab Eureka
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I process tons of ocean beach sand per year.Most cannot pan it,nor should they,it is too fine.Ihaul it home,use Standard sluice with the riffles removed and use green scrubby glued to thin sheets of plastic as the collection method.After running as many 5 gal.buckets as I can, I take the concentrates home screen downa minus30,minus 50,and minus 80 screens.next i pan the pus 30,then run each other batch seperatly thru an 8ft split corregated tube.Using a 110 v sump pump,very soft angle,plenty of get dry.clean up using a snuffer bottle. There is stillmore work ahead to clean up.Our gold is our,or dust and a plus 30 screen piece is a big day.It can be done,but most dont have the patience to figue out how to recover it.1gram + is a big day.

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dunno, my wife might kill me if I try panning in our 1 bedroom apartment, hah! Still I would probably be the only person to ever pan for gold in a highrise apartment in Chicago...hmmmm.

My better half has gotten used to it... I've got a small panning tub (about 15" in diameter) which has pretty much been permanently planted on the kitchen counter for months now.
As long as I don't take up too much room, and keep showing her the "shiny" stuff, she doesn't complain much.... It keeps me out of trouble.

Then again, she says we are one loose tooth away from full blown redneck.... And it is a double wide..

And since this thread is about paydirt... Half of a $40 bag from Johnny Gold Dust on e-bay, user name electrical2525

16008758934_3dc2be8b5d_c.jpg

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi guy,
I've just signed up after reading this thread and it is really helpful and intriguing stuff.
I want to start by saying Kevin you are a true gentleman for sending that to a vet, well played sir!

I am from the UK and we have barely any sites that we can go to to prospect and the ones we do are 200-400 miles away from me I have always been interested in prospecting and I remember as a kid my grandfather took me up to Scotland and we actually found a spec or two of gold and I've always wanted to recapture that memory.
Is there anyone that people would personally recommend pay dirt sellers to me I know I am going to get hit with a hell of postage cost but to me that feeling would be priceless to see a bit of gold in a pan!
Great work guys and thank you in advance

Wales and Scotland I heard were the only places to go find gold in the UK, though I think Yorkshire produced some gold as by-product years ago. As far as gold pay dirt, Randy Witham, AKA C17A sells Colorado gold from the Buena Vista area. Like the gentleman Kevin mentioned, he salts the cons to make sure you get a minimum guaranteed amount of gold. Some is likely California gold since he has family there and visits and they all go gold prospecting (actually I see now he may also add gold from Alaska or Oregon; bad weather here likely precludes him getting out enough right now to satisfy orders). Randy is retired Air Force as am I and we have been out together several times over the last 3-4 years. He has several choices; see his website: Gold adventures
I don't know if he ships to England; I do know that he no longer ships to Canada due to agricultural import restrictions.

Though we are friends, I have no financial or other connection to Randy's gold cons business. I think we have provided you with lots of choices--if they ship to England. Good luck.

Mar 2, 2015
Philadelphia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do the math you will never get a good return in gold for the price you pay for the paydirt. That being said, I do like the idea of panning for my own gold in an area where there is nowhere to do so....
I see the fun in it.

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ben sorry for the delay we got frozen in here also it's all boxed up and will ship to you tommorrow. Good luck we got lots of fine gold out of same hole. I used a highbanker though. It is screened 1/2-
Regards
Jeff

The source

image-1956229712.jpg

The goods

image-2120660028.jpg

Thank you again for your service I hope you find some.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Jeff
I can't thank you enough! I told my wife about it (she was a VA Nurse for 37 years) and she also thought that was such a nice thing to do!

I will let you know what I find!

OP
OP
E

EvilVOG

Feb 7, 2014
Brownstown, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do the math you will never get a good return in gold for the price you pay for the paydirt. That being said, I do like the idea of panning for my own gold in an area where there is nowhere to do so....
I see the fun in it.
Of course there is the fact you are probably going to lose money buying paydirt. Honestly most people on this website are going to lose money hunting for gold/treasure weather it be metal detecting, sluicing, divining or buying bagged dirt. In almost all instances, you would be better off just going to work, or working a second job.

It's about the fun, which is why I don't weigh my panning results and post ROI percentages. If that's all your looking for just skip the pan and buy gold.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
EvilVOG
I agree with you. About 20 years ago when I could still work the field, I did a lot of metal detecting, found a Morgan Dollar in Maine and a bunch of rings. Well one year I decided to keep track of every hour I spent detecting and how much I found. I found that I made 37 cents an HOUR! That wasn't counting the cost of batteries and the gas for the car to get there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread