Best marble find! This is no joke

Z

ZumbroKid

I sent the photo of this to Jeff this summer. I've decided to post it here and not in the marble section. Reason for this is the value of this in an undamaged condition. I still believe it has value to a collector. This is a old vintage Lutz hand made marble. It should date back to the 1800's. Size is almost 1 1/2 inches across! I do not see many for sale at that size. Found at old site, next door to the gold coin i found. Oldest coins in this yard were an 1865 nickle 3 cent piece and an 1867 Indian Head cent. In the photos is an Indian Head cent for size comparision. This was a surface eye ball find, after a rain the night before.

Attachments

• lutz e.jpg
    lutz e.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,655
  • lutz d.jpg
    lutz d.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,661
  • lutz c.jpg
    lutz c.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,675
  • Lutz a.jpg
    Lutz a.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 1,618
Upvote 0

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find..... Would love to know how they get those patterns inside the marbles ::)

Peter
South Africa

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice marble ,I found a couple digging .I guess some of them are worth a few bucks.....Seeker

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
used to play marbles, when i was in school, geee thats was 46 years ago,,,, :o

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's pretty cool Free!...one marble is a pretty boring game,gotta be more.LOL and HH

OP
OP
Z

ZumbroKid

Unchipped it is worth a couple of hundred i believe. I found many marbles, after researching them i discover the lutz ribbon hand made ones from the late 1800's were the ones i needed to find. I found a couple smaller ones. This is the big daddy of the lutz marbles. I just about flipped when i saw it laying there. It was mostly still buried and low and behold it was intact. I got more excited over this than the gold coin. In fact it was about 40-50 feet from where i found the gold coin. ;D

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
The Lutz's are nice-I just keep hoping to find a Sulfide at some point. There the ones that have silver looking animals inside.

OP
OP
Z

ZumbroKid

Maybe these could be restored? But then i always been told never ever clean a found marble! ;D

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Guess I'd better hang on to those that I find. Found a few here and there while detecting, not that large though. Now, I wonder what I did with them? I'm with the rest of you and losing my marbels too! :P

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
aaron7 said:
Can it be fixed? it's really nice looking!
FreetwoSon said:
Maybe these could be restored? But then i always been told never ever clean a found marble!? ;D

It was my understanding that it can be polished out but to do so would take some care to keep it round and also a knowledgeable dealer would probably kike it to compare the size w/factory specs.
It's still a very nice addition to any collection.

Glenns5900

Dec 14, 2005
Longmont, CO USA
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro (not SL) Old, but still good
An old timer once told me how to become a treasure hunter.

Take a handful of marbles and put them in your mouth.
Each day you take one out.

When you have lost all your marbles you are a treasure hunter. ;D

Maybe I shouldn't have taken his advise.

S

SASQUASH

WOW that is a big lutz's. I had a collection of over 30,000,00 marbles for sail on E-bay that was a friend of mines collection of over 60 years we where asking $5,999.00. It did not sell but it got a few folks out to look at them one guy payed $1,000 for 50 marbles that he had picked out. In all this collection there was not one Lutz's they are hard to find. I have over a 1000 marbles that is in my Own collection & I don't have any Lutz's ether. I wonder if you could polish it some how in a rock tumbler that would keep it even. You would have to use a real fine polish on the last go around to get it that shiny for glass. Hay nice find there Pete keep it up or I will. It is finally raining hear in SO. CAL. the ground will be nice to dig I will be THing in the mourning at a old V.F.W just up the road from are ranch. well thats if no work comes in before then it is slow this time of the year for painters. more time to hunt. but I need some how to feed my habit. Happy New Year from SAS<><

OP
OP
Z

ZumbroKid

You could try to polish it. It is on ebay right now. I'm cleaning house thru ebay. Won't the wife be surprised how i clean house. Paid to clean my own house! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions